Hay still in field

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
Took my wife and daughter to Branson for the Fourth and noticed a lot of hay rolls still in the fields near Springfield. some of it looked like it had been there a while.

I always try to get my off as soon as possible, I don't like all those dead spots and it don't take very long.

Any reason why they would leave it set?

A lot of that country has been getting tons of rain. May just be too wet to get it out without cutting up the field.

TexasBred":fodraogg said:
A lot of that country has been getting tons of rain. May just be too wet to get it out without cutting up the field.

That's one reason, another is that folks around here seem to leave their hay on the field until they need to feed it or cut hay again. Never have figured that one out.

Saw one field where the grass was almost knee deep around the bales. Makes no sense to me.
I know they have been getting a bunch of rain, but it aint been that wet.

I pasture my cattle on my place and cut hay off my father in law. And there is no peace until the hay is off the field and put up.
He's rather impatient.

danl":3chmpmh7 said:
Took my wife and daughter to Branson for the Fourth and noticed a lot of hay rolls still in the fields near Springfield. some of it looked like it had been there a while.

I always try to get my off as soon as possible, I don't like all those dead spots and it don't take very long.

Any reason why they would leave it set?

I have noticed the same in southern Missouri on my annual trip to Table Rock Lake. (Which is coming up this weekend!) Last year I saw one particular hay field, had to have 400+ bales in it. Hay as far as I could see, and the regrowth had to be knee high. Looked like some good winter grazing to me if the hay wasn't out there.

Doesn't make any sense to me either, but to each their own. Have one guy we custom bale for that barely lets them get all the way out of the baler before he is picking them up. Ours usually don't stay on the ground much over two weeks before we get them moved and stacked, weather permitting.

Most of the time it is probably just being put off. Seems that something "more important" can always come up. I've been guilty of letting it sit in the field a month before... :frowns:

Angus/Brangus":1zpn29yf said:
I saw several the other day that had vines growing all over them. Looked like the beginnings of a mulch pile.

With all the talk of high expenses you have to wonder why people let their hay go like that.

My fertilizer cost per bale, last cutting, was around $14. Add, raking, baling, fuel and maintenance. Doesn't make sense to let it sit out in the field if they have the ability to pick it up.

Angus I think it's probably pretty universal. I see it here, there and yonder. Just the way some individual does things. So a big field a couple months ago that looked like it had a couple thousand round bales in it from last year. They moved it just before time for 1st cutting this year. Others will be moving hay out before they even finish baling. Guess everybody marches to his own drummer.

if the people have more than enough hay.then they may leave it sitting on the field.because they arnt planning on baling that field again.personally id rather stack the hay off a few days after its baled.but since i dont move hay that dont happen.

I don't know about lazy. It might be good finacial management. No tellin how much gas it takes to get them things stored. Maybe they just sell out of the field. Seems like a win-win to me.

Now, since I square bale, I can't just leave 'em, but I take every chance I can get to sell out of the field.

In my case, the custom hayer has the "I dont give a damn aditude on the I dont give a damn farm". Extremely frustrating for me!
Trying to look at it from his point of view, he was planning on sub contracting it done however the sub contractors want a fortune to do it. He finally bit the bullet and hired one guy but he only stacked one load and claimed the bales were to heavy and quit. Now my guy is trying to stack them with his bale deck when he doesnt have something more important to do like 4H or go to somebodys branding and work for nothing.
Next year things will be different. I now see why people buy their own gear.
See the guy who is making the hay is also buying the hay. He only needs 200 tons. Doesnt seem to want to bother with a second cut. Ive tried like you wouldnt believe to get it into his head that we can sell the second cut and make money off of it but he just doesnt seem to get it. He has been at it for 3 weeks and he is still on the first cut. Bales are still sitting on a good portion of it and the second cut alfalfa is over a foot high. Im really pissed!

Latest posts