Hay rakes

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
That time of year again and I know we discuss them a lot but here goes. What is your favorite brand or brands that you know stay away from. Looking to upgrade my 8 wheel v to a 10 wheel with a kicker. Need a fairly good rake transport wise as my hayfields are spread out. Anybody know anything about an Ennorrossi (sp?)? They are priced right but that is usually a bad sign.

Thanks for any info..

We don't have a v rake, but have some family that have Kuhn v rakes and they really like them. Also know some folks with newer model Vermeer v rakes and they really like them too.

I have a M & W wheel rake and has been a good one. The only problem from my understanding is getting parts. My next rake will probably be a Vermeer. Yes, it will cost more, but they will probably have parts available longer than the off brands.

My opinion get a Deere, Kuhn, Vermeer or something that the company will have parts when you need them.

I got a 1500 $ lely rake. I've put 500 in teeth on it so far but it did have orginal ones in it. I have 100 more to replace and they will all be new. I only replace them when they break. If you match up tooth size that's the only parts you should need . Buy a used one

enirossi is a very good brand made in italy. They make stuff for a lot of big brands that rebadge it. I think they make KUHN rakes and I have a AGCO tedder thats a enirossi

After looking at mid capacity wheel rakes IMO the enorossi I would rank them at the bottom in terms of heavy dutyness and durability. At least in the mid capacity lineup they do NOT make Kuhn rakes. Kuhn speed rakes are a few levels above the enorossi rake.

Thanks for the input guys. Always leery of off brand stuff but a lot of times it is the same just rebranded for more money. My current rake is a Tonnutti and I have seen the same rake sold by several companies. Leaning heavy towards Kuhn but haven't ruled out NH or Peaquea.

The NH procart rakes are Sitrex QR rakes repainted so you can sometimes find a sitrex model cheaper. They are nice heavy duty looking rakes and each wheel has independent suspension which is a plus. For me it was between the NH procart and a Pequea.

I have a Pequea rotary and have had great luck with it so yesterday I traded it in on a Pequea MCR 12 wheel rake. I like the fact they are built in the USA and the dealer I buy from has been great to me.

SmokinM":2pbyy4hp said:
My current rake is a Tonnutti

Sorry to hear that. ;-)

Have not seen a NH procart. Kuhn V rake is the most expensive make around here. Good stuff, but some of my hay is too heavy for a wheel rake.

Looked at a NH rotary. Apparently the (expensive) gears go out on them eventually, so they are a risky used buy.

I think that the rake you choose should be determined by the grass you are raking. I have the ten wheel VR1224 Vermeer. When the grass is very thick I will take one wheel of off each side otherwise the grass will ball up and be too thick to run between the last two wheels it has to go through to make the windrow.I suppose it would also depend on the width of the bale. A four foot wide bale requires a windrow of less width. The five foot wide windrow would let thicker hay move through the last two wheels without balling up.

On the wheel rakes I wish they would put grease zerks on the hay wheels. I did drill a hole in each wheel cover on mine and put a zerk in and spot welded with a mig welder for them to stay in good. Several neighbors have one like mine M & W brand and bearings have went out because of no factory grease installed apparently. Good luck on finding the bearings also, as the only way is calibrate bearing size and order according from a bearing company. Some may come with zerks and if so is a big plus because they do go out. Buying used make sure to check the hay wheels for play.

I've got an old Vermeer WRV10, and it came with grease fittings on each wheel. It's been an excellent rake, and I don't recall ever plugging it - even in some 10' tall Sudangrass that got away from me.

Someone else mentioned the Kuhn Speed Rakes. Good friend of mine bought one new a couple years ago and hated it from the day he bought it, ended up trading it on a NH that's built like mine. Said the Kuhn was prone to plugging.

We have a Vermeer as well. It has grease fittings on each hay wheel.

I have plugged it before but only on some massive windrows that the tractor will barely run over.

One thing to watch out for, V rakes are really bad about picking up rocks, roots, limbs, etc. and rolling it up in the windrow.

I have had a new holland 10 wheel for about a year now, frame behind the wheels and I like it. I think the key is budget and tonnage. Works great for 2.5 ton to the acre and not so great for the volume on second cutting, but couldn't justify the extra money to add more wheels. Transport is good if set up right, 55 mph no problem.

I liked the looks of the Rhino products but the nearest dealer was over 300 miles away so that took them out of the running. But they look like a solid built unit.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the Rhino products but no dealer within 3 hrs. of me so probably a no go. So far the salesman at the NH dealer is to busy to call back with price so not looking good for them either.

Latest posts