Hay rack for horse trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I would love to have a hay rack on my LQ trailer. I normally wouldn't even consider doing it, because I normally just pull a trailer that I am trying to sell. I have decided to keep this one, till my kids get up about grown. I cant seem to find one for less than $14-1500. I'm not putting that in one. I just want to carry about 4 bales of hay, and 25-30 gallons of water. Might put a tack box up there to. So were talking 600 pounds anyway. I get up there to get something, and were talking quit a bit of weight. Not sure I trust my skills with a Tig for that. If my trailer was steel, Id bight the project off in a minute. Anybody know of an affordable one, or a cheaper solution.

Simple. Find the cross braces on inside drill thru top to bolt it down. Use rubber bushing between top and rack. Also use a butyl caulk when assembled. Use same process with washers like you would on a boat transom. Plenty of how to on interweb.

I notice that's 4' x 2'. It's also steel. I might could fab something out of square tubing, and paint it dull aluminum. I'd hate to hurt the resale on my trailer though, with steel on aluminum.

You can probably find an aluminum roof rack. If your concerned about resale on trailer and want a cheap roof rack its not going to work. You would be better off spending a couple grand on one built for the trailer. You can't expect to save money on the add on and expect someone to pay top dollar when you sale it.

M-5":31rhrqhl said:
You can probably find an aluminum roof rack. If your concerned about resale on trailer and want a cheap roof rack its not going to work. You would be better off spending a couple grand on one built for the trailer. You can't expect to save money on the add on and expect someone to pay top dollar when you sale it.

True dat

I guess it comes down to how big a hurry you are in. Somewhere, sometime there will be available an aluminium rack off of a wrecked trailer for a good price. Usually, I look for what I want for a long time, and then give up and pay what it takes to get it new and then the bargain appears. But I have also found over the years that although I think my cheaper option (different material, not as good a paint, or whatever, even though functionality it works) does not impress a potential buyer. So all that being said, I would recommend that you buy the rack for that trailer and not look back. Over a period of time the difference off $500-1000 is not going to be that high on a per year basis. I have a friend who has a commercial business repairing, upfitting horse trailers. He has found that doing it right is a far better business plan than trying to be the cheapest.

Latest posts