Hay Protein Values

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I've been looking for MONTHS for a good source of information on the various types of hay and their protein content. I want info on the "Range" of values as well as "Average" values of protein percents. So far, I have been unable to find a useful listing. Have tried USDA, Dept of Agriculture, "browsing" net for hay protein content, etc.

As we all know, high protein content hay often costs "less" than poor quality protein hay in terms of feed value to livestock.

Will appreciate any internet leads y'all can provide! Thanks!! :)

Bill,

There are lots of sources out there. The trouble is that they are all book numbers and variability is huge. The book values are always split by species. To say that one species has more nutrients available than another species just doesn't wash in reality. Stage of growth at harvest, history of fertilizer application, and weather are going to affect nutrients much more than species.
When buying hay I ask for test results. If they aren't available I will test it myself before buying. In the big picture the cost of a test is small compared to buying what looks like good hay but is really low in nutrient. And you are right, hay which is high in feed value is generally a better buy even if the price is higher.

Dave

I fully agree that any given species of hay has protein values relative to:
  • 1. Climate
    2. Soil type and fertility
    3. Amount of rainfall or irrigaion
    4. Amount of fertilizer
    5. Growth stage at cutting & moisture content
    6. Weather issues between cutting and baling
    7. Whether or not grass is a "pure stand" or mixed with other forage
    8. And...a host of other factors, natural and human

However, I'm just trying to get a hand of the "general" protein value of different grass hays. For example I know alfalfa is many times more protein level than say native grass. Etc., etc. But, across the country there is a "range" of protein values for any given grass or legume.

Just trying to research several different sources, references, studies, etc., to come with an "educated guess" of protein ranges for different types of grasses & legumes.

Running Arrow Bill":2w7xp812 said:
I fully agree that any given species of hay has protein values relative to:
  • 1. Climate
    2. Soil type and fertility
    3. Amount of rainfall or irrigaion
    4. Amount of fertilizer
    5. Growth stage at cutting & moisture content
    6. Weather issues between cutting and baling
    7. Whether or not grass is a "pure stand" or mixed with other forage
    8. And...a host of other factors, natural and human

However, I'm just trying to get a hand of the "general" protein value of different grass hays. For example I know alfalfa is many times more protein level than say native grass. Etc., etc. But, across the country there is a "range" of protein values for any given grass or legume.

Just trying to research several different sources, references, studies, etc., to come with an "educated guess" of protein ranges for different types of grasses & legumes.

You can find info if you look up specific grasses, but I have not seen comparisons between grasses, such as tif 85 vs. bluestem.
There studies between bluestems and there are studies between bremudas. If you find these comparisons let me know.
There are just to many factors involved to just say any thing average about any grass or hay.

And maybe that is why you can,nt find it.

There are too many variables to come up with a balnket range. I have seen bermuda grass in a county hay show that ran from 17.9% crude protein to 2.9% crude protein. They both had the same physical score based on color, feel and amount of foreign material.

There are lots of books so it must be online too but I am not finding it. Morrison's Feeds and Feeding was the Bible of feed back when I was in college. Ensminger's, Stockman's Handbook has values in it. The Cattleman's Library an extension publication has a pretty good section by David Yates from Wyoming. The trouble is I have these on the book shelve right above the computer so I never looked online for the information before.

That first website that you gave is totally inaccurate. It listed coastal bermuda at 8%.
At 5 weeks mine usually runs 14% At 6 weeks it runs 11-12%. I have never made coastal at 8%.

That website should at least give a range not some outrageously wrong figure.

Go with the Noble Foundation, they are trust worthy.

Angus/Brangus":2alm75q9 said:
Like has already been said - there are a lot of variables. Under whatever conditions the 1st website operated (soil, fertilizer, weather, 1st cutting or other etc), those numbers are what HE achieved. Noble is a good site but the same thing applies - variables. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Running Bull was just trying to get an idea of what protein content different grass/hays produced all conditions being the same. With Bermuda grass Tifton 85 appears to be the highest protein producer and is the new standard. Getting information on other grasses is difficult at best.

That first website did not grow all of those different grasses. If you read the site all that he sells is alfalfa. He just posted some info that he found somewhere.

As far as finding info on protein contents, if you can google you are there.

My second hit yielded:

http://www.clemson.edu/agronomy/goats/handbook/forages.html

It doesn't cover coastal or the other hybrids but nearly everything else

Running Arrow Bill":1icr2698 said:
I've been looking for MONTHS for a good source of information on the various types of hay and their protein content. I want info on the "Range" of values as well as "Average" values of protein percents. So far, I have been unable to find a useful listing. Have tried USDA, Dept of Agriculture, "browsing" net for hay protein content, etc.

As we all know, high protein content hay often costs "less" than poor quality protein hay in terms of feed value to livestock.

Bill, I have a book from College "Animal Feeding and Nutrition - sixth edition, Marshall H. Jurgens. 1988. It has tons of pages of nutrient values for hundreds of forages for standing green and dried values.

Ray

I just got back some sample results

Coastal first cutting - 8% protein
Coastal second cutting - 11% protein
Both look good and smell sweet, horse quality

non-perennial Peanut hay - 9% protein
(I thought it would be around 14%)

I hope this reads alright!

MANAGEMENT OF IMPROVED PASTURES
The Effect of Hay Quality on Supplemental Feed Costs
Hay quality greatly affects the need for and the amount of supplemental feed required for beef cattle. Tables 6 and 7 in B-1526, "Body Condition, Nutrition and Reproduction in Beef Cows," show the reduction or elimination of cottonseed meal and corn supplement needed for beef cows in various body conditions and stages of production.
A cost per head per day can be calculated using the amounts of corn and cottonseed meal required for supplementation. These costs are shown in Table 1 below.

Table 1. Cost of Supplemental Feed When Using Hays of Various Quality

Cow Body Condition Score(BCS) Hay Quality**

Cost per Head per Day*

Poor Average Excellent
Dry pregnant cow
BCS 3 (thin) $.94 .44 .19
BCS 5 (moderate) $1.23 .91 .50
BCS 7 (fleshy) $.55 .00 .00
Lactating beef
BCS 3 (thin) $.93 .43 .125
BCS 5 (moderate) $.10 .00 .00
BCS 7 (fleshy) $.50 .00 .00

* Based on price of corn @ 10/cwt and cottonseed meal @ $250/ton.
** Hay Quality - Poor - 4% protein, 42% -TDN

Average - 7.5% protein, 47% TDN
Excellent - 13% protein, 52% TDN

These costs can be further calculated for 100 beef cows over a 100 day feeding period as given in Table 2. Increasing hay quality from 4 to 7.5 percent protein (poor to average) would save from $1,875 for dry cows in body condition score 7 to $3,875 for dry cows in body condition score 3. The same increase in hay quality fed to lactating cows would save from $2950 to $4,875.

Table 2. Supplementation Cost for a 100 Cow Herd Over a 100 Day Feeding Period.

Cow Body Condition Score
(BCS) Hay Quality**
Poor Average Excellent
Cost per 100 Cows for 100 Days
Dry pregnant cow
BCS 3 (thin) $12200 9125 5000
BCS 5 (moderate) $5500 0 0
BCS 7 (fleshy) $9250 4250 1250
Lactating beef
BCS 3 (thin) $1000 0 0
BCS 5 (moderate) $5000 0 0
BCS 7 (fleshy) $9375 4375 1875

Running Arrow Bill":263dia5z said:

jonbquick.com":2pdlnvb2 said:
I hope this reads alright!

MANAGEMENT OF IMPROVED PASTURES
The Effect of Hay Quality on Supplemental Feed Costs
Hay quality greatly affects the need for and the amount of supplemental feed required for beef cattle. Tables 6 and 7 in B-1526, "Body Condition, Nutrition and Reproduction in Beef Cows," show the reduction or elimination of cottonseed meal and corn supplement needed for beef cows in various body conditions and stages of production.
A cost per head per day can be calculated using the amounts of corn and cottonseed meal required for supplementation. These costs are shown in Table 1 below.

Table 1. Cost of Supplemental Feed When Using Hays of Various Quality

Cow Body Condition Score(BCS) Hay Quality**

Cost per Head per Day*

Poor Average Excellent
Dry pregnant cow
BCS 3 (thin) $.94 .44 .19
BCS 5 (moderate) $1.23 .91 .50
BCS 7 (fleshy) $.55 .00 .00
Lactating beef
BCS 3 (thin) $.93 .43 .125
BCS 5 (moderate) $.10 .00 .00
BCS 7 (fleshy) $.50 .00 .00

* Based on price of corn @ 10/cwt and cottonseed meal @ $250/ton.
** Hay Quality - Poor - 4% protein, 42% -TDN

Average - 7.5% protein, 47% TDN
Excellent - 13% protein, 52% TDN

These costs can be further calculated for 100 beef cows over a 100 day feeding period as given in Table 2. Increasing hay quality from 4 to 7.5 percent protein (poor to average) would save from $1,875 for dry cows in body condition score 7 to $3,875 for dry cows in body condition score 3. The same increase in hay quality fed to lactating cows would save from $2950 to $4,875.

Table 2. Supplementation Cost for a 100 Cow Herd Over a 100 Day Feeding Period.

Cow Body Condition Score
(BCS) Hay Quality**
Poor Average Excellent
Cost per 100 Cows for 100 Days
Dry pregnant cow
BCS 3 (thin) $12200 9125 5000
BCS 5 (moderate) $5500 0 0
BCS 7 (fleshy) $9250 4250 1250
Lactating beef
BCS 3 (thin) $1000 0 0
BCS 5 (moderate) $5000 0 0
BCS 7 (fleshy) $9375 4375 1875

Running Arrow Bill":2pdlnvb2 said:

Something doesn't look right, or maybe it's me.
Table 1 BCS 5 is the most expensive to feed.
Table 2 Bcs 3 is the most expensive.
Am I reading this right.

Latest posts