Hay Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":2qnha0hy said:
I would think Winter wheat or a high fiber grain ration would both be alternatives.

These are often 85% water and very little fiber at al but extremely digestible, thus very little "fill factor". High quality winter grazing like wheat, rye or oats are really more of a protein supplement than a hay replacer. Grain rations regardless of fiber levels are on the opposite end of the spectrum from hay.

Wisteria Farms":2de84czw said:
Massey135":2de84czw said:
If you're willing to pay $200/bale, ill have 2 loads there tomorrow evening??? See how at the right price, scarce goods suddenly become available?
Thank you, oh wise one, for helping me see the light.
Sure, I'll pay you $400/ton so you can call MY supplier and tell him to drop YOUR load at my place.

I'm well aware that ANYTHING can be had "for a price" but that's not the way I work... I don't believe in "sticking it" to someone just because you can. :tiphat:
I think its funny you feel some entitlement to the suppliers hay just because you've purchased from him before.
Welcome to America- home of free market capitalism.

Massey135":39kohntz said:
Wisteria Farms":39kohntz said:
Massey135":39kohntz said:
If you're willing to pay $200/bale, ill have 2 loads there tomorrow evening??? See how at the right price, scarce goods suddenly become available?
Thank you, oh wise one, for helping me see the light.
Sure, I'll pay you $400/ton so you can call MY supplier and tell him to drop YOUR load at my place.

I'm well aware that ANYTHING can be had "for a price" but that's not the way I work... I don't believe in "sticking it" to someone just because you can. :tiphat:
I think its funny you feel some entitlement to the suppliers hay just because you've purchased from him before.
Welcome to America- home of free market capitalism.
I don't think he felt entitled. Just couldn't figure why the man would sell it to someone else when he was willing to give what the man wanted for the hay just as he had done for years. I gave a friend a verbal commitment for hay at his asking price too but guess he got caught up in the action OR found someone who would pay more and simply forgot about me and our agreement. It has nothing to do with capitalism as I think we all agree with that. It's more about honor and trust. You know like "A handshake is a man's bond". Some have short memories when it's to their advantage. That's what hurts capitalism.

We sold hay for 3x the price we got in the past. This hay was baled for our use so it was quality and were heavy bales. The extra money will help lime our fields. Everyone forgets money has to go back into the fields and equipment isn't cheap. Be had 54 per bale without land and equipment cost with lower yields.

We have a 22,000 SF barn in South Central Alaska. Any one willing to haul quality small square alfalfa bales up here can fetch $500 a ton for it. Last load we brought up (our truck only hauls 10 ton) we sold out in 3 days. Lots of horses and goats up North here. Sells slower at $600 a ton.