Hay prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What do you all think hay prices will end up being towards the end of the summer or early fall, anyway to tell?

GMN

In your area and mine I think it's going to settle in around 30-35 a bale

Really is going to depend on the area. Hay everywhere around here, so it'll be cheap. But less than 100 miles away, it's going to be high. No rain makes all the difference.

We've had a good year.

Hay prices are pretty local. State of Minnesota fore casted $60 a ton in the north and $100 a ton in the south for cow hay. I think it will be on the high side of this range, and some horse people will pay a lot more.

"Good" alfalfa is going for $200 to 250 per ton. I suppose it is being priced against grain by the dairy guys.

After two dry summers and high horse hay auction prices last spring ($80 to $100 a roll) some folks are speculating and hay is hard to find.

My neighbor has a sharp pencil and he plans to ship his bigger cows (1500 to 1600#) and then sell part of his hay. I have not run any numbers yet but I am afraid he is right. There are already some empty pastures in the country this summer.

Around here 150 to 175 per ton some guy taking order on hay at 175. A lot of talk 200 per ton by fall on good alfalfa. Dairy hay right now over the 225 to 250 per ton is what I have heard. A lot of horse fanatics that drive the small bales high in price.

My sister-in-law just bought a couple loads here in Georgia for $75/round bale.

You figure? It cost me, so far, $52 to make one round bale - fertilizer and baling, not my time to haul to the barn and store.

Billy

In Alberta im guessing alfalfa will go for $80 -$100 a ton. Thats on the field. Trucking is really expensive.

MrBilly":278fdhx5 said:
You figure? It cost me, so far, $52 to make one round bale - fertilizer and baling, not my time to haul to the barn and store.

You and I are in line. I just finished baling some and the Tift 44 cost me $50.77/bale and the Tift 85 cost me $43.08/bale. I should know about Alicia next week.

Jogeephus":3ao5rcba said:
MrBilly":3ao5rcba said:

You and I are in line. I just finished baling some and the Tift 44 cost me $50.77/bale and the Tift 85 cost me $43.08/bale. I should know about Alicia next week.

And people still want to buy it for $25.00 per roll....

Pretty much all we have here is alfalfa; very few people put up grass hay and it's usually more expensive than alfalfa. That said, hay is running from $180-220/ton right now. I have half of what I need for the winter and I'm hoping if I hold out a little longer the price may go down. The first crop of hay was very good and if the 2nd and 3rd crops are good as well I can't imagine the price will stay that high.

I believe poor to average quality cow hay will be in the 40-45 range and good quality hay will be 50-55 for 4X5 rolls. There will be alot of hay baled this year that has no fertilize put on it due to the cost.

i sold a guy some non fert coastal hay 5 by 6 bales for $32 a bale in the field.an have some hay thats clover rye an coastal.that he is paying $32 a bale for as well.he can find cheaper hay.but it might be junk hay.an the only way he has to haul it is with his tractor.an my field is about 2mi from his house or less.

Jogeephus":5hnl6aha said:
MrBilly":5hnl6aha said:

Are you including land or establishment costs in these cost calculations?