Hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I sold 144 bales of horse quality bermuda this wknd. 4 X 5 polytwine, the bales averaged 853 pounds for $28 out of the field. 72 bales went to Alabama the other 72 went to Texas. I think the guy who bought is jockeying it. Does anyone know if 853 pounds is little light or about average for a 4X5? The guy who bought it thought it was a little light.

Liq":143jvv6p said:
Does anyone know if 853 pounds is little light or about average for a 4X5? The guy who bought it thought it was a little light.

It seems extremely light to me for 4 by 5.

Everything I had to sell is gone.

Round are anywhere from $15-$25 depending on if you know someone or who you gete it from. problem is this year everbody was light on hay due to dry spring and summer, so nobody's got any.

Round bales around here are anywhere from $70 to $100 a bale.
Of course there are a couple of hay jockey's that have bought up all the excess hay around here for the last couple of years and have sold it for outrageous prices to the horse owners. They advertise it as barn kept, before the people get there they run and put however many rolls the people are buying in the barn.

We mainly feed square bales, less waste. We own our own equipment, spent this past weekend baleing and hauling hay for the last time this year. We own the land that we bale off of or we get the hay free so that that the land owner can get an ag exemption on their property taxes.

Been told that coastal square bales are going to start at $10.50 and Bahaia(sp) square bales are going to start at $7.00 this winter.

mom

Caustic Burno":1iak2x3l said:
alabama":1iak2x3l said:
Humm. It don't look like it would stop waste but I will sure take your word for it. I might be able to make one of those out of an old bent ring too. I think I have enough junk lying around to make me one. What diameter is that thing?

They don't pull it out, drop it all around, and stamp it in the mud? Well the do it to a ring too so at least it gets it up off the ground.
I think I will make me one next rainy day.

We have cattle panel welded to the inside they only pull out what they eat, also ours are built lower to the ground and on skids. You don't have that big lump of wet ruined hay in the middle of the ring that nothing will eat.

I found that out too. They waste much less with the bunk than the hay ring.

Up until this past fall, and the price of fuel shot up, I was paying $12 bucks a roll for 5X5's. Delivered to our farm yet. Now they are delivering for $15.00 each with a long term contract for same...............it is not always the best, but never any bad hay, and it allows me to feed out just as much as they want to eat most of the time.

As a side bar, I do have lots of contacts for anyone that wants to try and buy hay from western NC............No doubt several here will sell for anywhere from $15.00 to $25.00 per roll, loaded onto yr trailers. I only know of a few who may haul it , but for what price I don't know.

IM me if you need a few numbers, as it sure beats the heck outa $60.00 + per roll. :cboy:

Sorry for all of you that are still stuck in this draught situation..........gotta suck. :(

Latest posts