Hay Price's

Help Support CattleToday:

I heard that good quality horse hay is going sky high in the west... Droughts will do that...even though it is easier to put up good hay in a drought, you can't put up what doesn't grow! Nature is cruel like that...

There is an over abundance of hay in this country, we are not hay poor, we ship thousands of tons overseas yearly. It's getting it to where it's needed that doesn't allow the numbers to work.

Herefordcross":2pbeebvl said:
There is an over abundance of hay in this country, we are not hay poor, we ship thousands of tons overseas yearly. It's getting it to where it's needed that doesn't allow the numbers to work.

We ship hay overseas? I have never heard of that. Doesnt seem very cost effective. Who do we ship it to? You would think if we could ship it over an ocean it wouldnt be that hard to ship it a few states away.

Around here grass hay is $95/ton delivered & alfalfa is $135/ton from the field, but they will load it for you onto your flatbed trailer.. how nice of them huh? That is only $10/ton more for each than last year, but it's still painful.

Good 5x6 Rolls are bringing 25.00. It's been a marginal hay crop so far. For the most part, yields are down, but quality is decent. I've seen quite a few tractor-trailer loads of hay headed west for a few days now.Square bales are about .50 higher than last year for Orchard Grass/Fescue.

We ship it to the middle east. UAE, IRAQ, IRAN, Saudi Arabia. Look on hay exchange and you'll see want adds occasionaly and elsewhere in publications. What they do is buy and size bales of fair to excellent quality, then break it down and put it into 90lb. compressed bales we got a load of it and it is tuff to handle with the plastic straps they put on it. The reason for compressing it is to fit a good amount of hay into a sea container for shipment. This is what I gather from reading various things and talking to different people. Theres a father/son in S. Dokota that does this constantly and I've seen loads of hay going into the port of baltimore already compressed so I guess it's true. Heck you know we have to keep those who hold the worlds oil happy. :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek:

We got some second cutting alfalfa, really leafy stuff, from a o'l fella down the road for $2.75 for a loosly bailed 60#. Picked up at his barn...still able to buck one of thoes horsey bails.
Also get really high quality second cutting alfalfa from our usual guy for $120 a ton delivered...80#plus bails...have to have the son-in-law buck thoes.
DMc

"Alfalfa" hay goes for $72 a ton.
"Other mixed" hay goes for $40 to $65 a ton.

Local guys will usually not pay over $20 per round bale for grassy beef cow hay. Small grass hay squares are going for $1.25. Good alfalfa hay is being hoarded by the dairy guys and is very hard to find.

Around here they've started bailing corn stalks (witjout the ears). I think they call it fodder I've never fed it but am thinking about getting some. The feed tables I've looked at say its about 9% CP, and 67%TDN, which isint bad. Anyone have any comments on it?

You will find very broad opinions on this but, if it's still green we'll roll some up and feed it if it's not, it is too rough on their mouths for me but, you do what you have to do sometimes.

dcara":k9va165f said:
Around here they've started bailing corn stalks (witjout the ears). I think they call it fodder I've never fed it but am thinking about getting some. The feed tables I've looked at say its about 9% CP, and 67%TDN, which isint bad. Anyone have any comments on it?
Heard they are getting $45 a bale for the corn stalks around here.

CWT Angus":21sey5g8 said:
.. how nice of them huh?

Well, considering the fact that we have had to take the tractor, transport the bale spears, and load the big bales we purchased ourselves on most occasions, I would say that was VERY nice of them. Another thought is that, since their willingness to load those bales for you saves you fuel, time, and trouble, I'm thinking a little appreciation is in order and that your sarcasm is unwarranted and petty.

Hey girlfriend....got a bee in your bonnet tonite? Didn't sound like your cheery self for a minute there.

Most folks up here that have the loader and grapple load trailers as part of doing business unless they advertize you load. We buy it delivered...dumped into the barn and self load
now that the son is back at school we will be having it delivered and the son-in-law bucking.
Dave Mc

dcara wrote:

Guy quoted me $35 for 5x6 yesterday. But I haven't seen it yet.

dcara":hwwpefjk said:
dcara wrote:

Guy quoted me $35 for 5x6 yesterday. But I haven't seen it yet.

Love to see that. Friend of our's bought 300 rounds of sudan from a fella in Corsicana at 45.00 in the field. Friend kept 100 bales and his other friend who hauled it for him kept the other 200 and sold them at 70.00. In, where was it? Claude, yesterday, alfalfa was 7.00 for square bales, 7.50 for coastal and 79.00 for rounds of sudan. The coastal was bailed so loose that it would have fallen apart before you could have gotten it home.

Latest posts