Hay Price's

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David":2ky9mkm6 said:
Hey girlfriend....got a bee in your bonnet tonite? Didn't sound like your cheery self for a minute there.

Another long day of battling mosquitoes, digging moss out of one ditch, weeds out of the other one, all the while trying to keep everything watered sufficiently so it doesn't burn up and getting the barn whipped back into shape for boarders coming in Sunday and Monday. Temps have been running high 90's to low 100's for what seems like forever. I guess I was just tired and out of sorts. Sorry CWT. :oops:

Our hay is selling for $6.00 a bale, thats figures to around $185.00 a ton and that seems to be around the going rate. Some around us charge more plus a fee to put it on the trailer.

We have had nothing but rain since the second week of July and hope to get all our hay put up some day, before it snows.

Ned Jr.":1g25u44r said:
Our hay is selling for $6.00 a bale, thats figures to around $185.00 a ton and that seems to be around the going rate. Some around us charge more plus a fee to put it on the trailer.

:shock: I'm beginning to understand why we are getting so many customers from Colorado! What part of Colorado are you in, btw?

I'm in south central Colorado. Reading the Fence Post the other day I noticed some are asking over $6.00. I hope it doesn't get so high people sell all their horses. We store most of ours in barns and sell it for a little more in the spring. Most of our customers are feed stores that resale it for lots more.

Even with the dry weather and short hay crop. I got two loads Friday. 1500 pound big rounds, second cut Alfalfa. 65 $ ton delivered. Bales are brown inside, put up with to high moisture, I'll pick out one of the browner ones and feed it, to see what it looks like.

mnmt

Bought a roll of that $35 corn fodder to see if the cows would eat it. Checked on em the next day. The bull was the only one at it when I got there. I think they (6 cows and the bull) ate about 25% of it. Hard to tell though since most of it was spread around. My mistake was not getting the hay ring over it before I cut the vet wrap. One quick fast slice through the vet wrap and POOF! I was knee deep and covered in corn fodder. A plie 7ft tall and about 10ft diameter.

Horse quality hay,mostly coastal bermuda at present, are $3.50 for square bails, and $40.00 for good round bails.
We have an 85 round bail surplus from last year (neighbour accidently burned another 150 on another field) on the company farm with this years hay all bailed already.
5 acres of mixed native grass is on the ground at present and as the company does not want it, I am allowed to truck it home for my own use.

the guy we buy from said 20$ but when he delivered was 22$ i guess not so bad for good round bales ! i didn't like it but paw in law paid it he said it was worth it but i think if you agree on a price you should keep your word :mad:

round bales of bermuda is going 70 to 80 bucks, drought is causing us alot of problems but it's the price of the fuel to go and get it thats really driving it up, can go to neighboring states and get it 25 to 40 bucks , you have to haul in over twenty bales to keep the price worthwhile

50-75$ a 1000# bale if u can get it. Small sqaures are 5-6$ if u can get it. I am holding on to what I have to sell for more money. I have all I need for this year and next (thank God 4 reserves) but there are alot of people around here who do not keep or have the means to keep reserves. 2 years ago I had to sell some bales for 10$ cause nobody needed it and I wanted 2 clean out a pen. My how times have changed. My friends @ here are holding on to most of their hay in case they need it or to get 80-90$ a bale when the snow blows. The only bad thing about it is we don't have much 2 sell.

Alot of hay around here goes over-seas to the Pacific Rim, so our hay prices are dictated off of that. Good to excellent timothy hay and other grass hay is going for $120 to $180 a ton. Good to premium alfalfa is going for $140 to $160. Most of the first cutting got rained on and went for $60 to $85 a ton, and much of it is pretty bad.

We're lucky that our winters don't get too bad and we run cattle on corn stalks or hay (timothy) fields. That cuts our hay purchasing down considerably. We still feed a little hay before calving and after, but not nearly as much as some have to. Payment for the crop aftermath is way cheaper than having to buy hay to feed for 5 months. Plus as those calves get a little age on them, they start to learn how to forage.

I think we are seeing a lot of what C&CL&C describes, "I am holding on to what I have to sell for more money" in our area. Unfortantely, it acts to amplify the drought problem with further limiting supply. Some here are calling it "price grouging in the face of a natural disaster", similar to what was seen with the hurricanes. Others describe it as simple economics, supply and demand. Mostly likely a bit of both. Either way, hay is pretty scarce in our area with prices around $70 - 100/rnd bale.

C&CL&C - wasn't picking on you in particular; I reckon you have a right to sell your stuff for whatever you want. And I really like your signature quote!

Here's hoping everyone needing rain gets it real soon!

Latest posts