Hay Planning

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
I have a guy across the road who is bailing up his sudan and corn stalk hay. He has more than plenty to feed his own cows and keeps his fields well maintained.

My question is how do you all go about caculating how much hay youll need to make it through? It always seems like a buy to little or waste alot by buying to much. I am ok with having 5 or so extra left over but last year we wasted close to 12. at 55.00 each that was a nice hit at my wallett.

The herd will be fed cubes 3x's a week have liquid protein tubs and mineral. Whats a good rule of thumb? We have a total of 10 heifers we will be bringing through the winter and want to make sure they are ready for March to have them ready for Ai.

Also on a side note if we wanted to put down rye grass in a 10 acre lot we have when would yall suggest getting that down?

Personally, I know how much hay I feed my cattle during the winter each day, and calculate from there. Usually figuring for 150 days, and then an extra month or so, in case of really bad weather. Drought can strike fast and early, and so can a hard winter.
Just a question for you.. Why do you feed cubes AND liquid feed??

Limomike":1oz5v8sk said:
Personally, I know how much hay I feed my cattle during the winter each day, and calculate from there. Usually figuring for 150 days, and then an extra month or so, in case of really bad weather. Drought can strike fast and early, and so can a hard winter.
Most sudan down this way is low in protein and corn stalks are little more than filler. Supplementation required. Don't know that I would feed both cubes and the liquid though.

That is really a regional thing, but for us we figure one bale per cow per month (4x5). For me, that means 25 bales a month, times 4 months (Dec - March), or 100 bales. I tack on a few extra in case of a bad winter or late spring, or even early winter! This year we should be set up with 136 bales, 36 from our own cutting and I traded a bred cow for 100 bales (5x5), so we will have more than enough I hope!
There is an old saying out here, have enough hay in storage for 2 winters. I always thought people were crazy for wasting so much feed, however when we hit the drought of 2012 I was the one scrambling for something to put in the cows guts. Everyone else was feeding old hay, and pouring liquid feed on it to make it more palatable and nutritious! I was stuck looking for JUNK hay at $100 a bale!!!! I learned an expensive and tough lesson that year.

TexasBred":281wtgi3 said:
Limomike":281wtgi3 said:
Most sudan down this way is low in protein and corn stalks are little more than filler. Supplementation required. Don't know that I would feed both cubes and the liquid though.

Its not like im feeding the cubes to put weight on them but more too give me a reason to walk through them and keep them trained. Haha

That's a good reason :) So you're 'buying friends' ;)

I've usually figured I need about 40 ton to get to calving time, and another 40 from calving to turnout. I like having about 20 ton extra, though it's nice to clear out the hay shed totally once in a while too. I'm not at risk for much drought here (just means I have to work harder irrigating), but it's nice to be able to feed some hay after the first cut has been grazed, in order for the second cut to mature a little. I never feed supplements other than minerals, with the hay I put up here they certainly don't need it.

So based on being here in central texas. Would yall say for 600 pound girls 1-1.5 bales a week for 10 head which would leave me at 20-25 bales? Or is it 1 bale per head per month and that would put me at 50 bales from mid oct-end of feb. Thats a big difference. By the end of feb I plan on having to pack the weight on and bring their body scores up to be ready for AI. They are stout round bales. Im sorry I do not know the weight.

I agree with Fire Sweep Ranch. I usually figure about one 4x5 roll per cow per month. I also keep liquid feed out while I'm feeding hay.

And what did you mean about wasting close to 12 rolls? It will keep until the next year. I have nearly enough 2013 hay left over to get me through this winter. If I hadn't had 2010 hay leftover in 2011 I would really have been in bad shape. I only made 8 rolls in 2011 (between the fertilizer and baling I figured they cost me about $300.00 each), but had a fair bit left from the previous year. That, along with sack feed, got me through the winter without having to buy any of that $100.00 per bale rice straw that some people were feeding.

cloud9cattle":3j7wgj7h said:
TexasBred":3j7wgj7h said:
Limomike":3j7wgj7h said:

Its not like im feeding the cubes to put weight on them but more too give me a reason to walk through them and keep them trained. Haha
Do it....enjoy your cattle. ;-)

A guy who used to buy our calves told me he calculated 7 bales per momma cow during the winter. He owned/leased about 250 acres and ran about 200 head. I think he told he rolled around 2000 rolls a year.

For our 70 Spring calving cows we figure 5 bales per momma and our 34 fall calving mommas we figure 6 bales per momma. we have baled corn stalks more for bedding then for eating but they like humans seem to get tired of the same old thing every day and they sometimes eat what we roll out for bedding.

We figure 25 lb. a day per mature cow. The figure is with a cow eating 20-25% of her body weight each day.
Weight of heifers x the number of heifers x the number of days on hay.
We plan for 4 rolls per mature cow and try to have 5 per cow in case the winter drags out.

cloud9cattle":xuubp3eu said:
So you would suggest 50 rolls? For 10 head then? Just want to be clear.

I keep hay in front of mine Nov. thru Feb. to mid March depending on the year. At 600lbs. they would probably start out at 1 roll a week but if you feed protein, they will eat more. As they grow they will eat more also and during real cold spells they can almost double their hay intake. I don't think you will feed 50 rolls to ten heifers in Texas but 30 to 35( depending on the weight of the bales) sounds possible and you will want extra on hand or a place to get it. You do not want to ration hay with them on liquid and or high protein cubes.

B&M Farms":2pb0seiq said:
cloud9cattle":2pb0seiq said:
So you would suggest 50 rolls? For 10 head then? Just want to be clear.

I keep hay in front of mine Nov. thru Feb. to mid March depending on the year. At 600lbs. they would probably start out at 1 roll a week but if you feed protein, they will eat more. As they grow they will eat more also and during real cold spells they can almost double their hay intake. I don't think you will feed 50 rolls to ten heifers in Texas but 30 to 35( depending on the weight of the bales) sounds possible and you will want extra on hand or a place to get it. You do not want to ration hay with them on liquid and or high protein cubes.

Finally an answer that doesnt require me to be a math major. hahaha I picked up my 1st 20 rolls really looking good. 10 sudan rolls and 10 corn stalk rolls with plenty of corn and cobs in it. I plan on picking up proably 40 total. I know last year here in Central Texas we did have a late winter and a few cold blast of ice. So i bought a few more.

Latest posts