Hay Planning

Help Support CattleToday:

In TN we figure for 6 rolls per momma cow. But we figure oct through March/april. Last year for 16 grown animals i fed 150 rolls. Cold spells and i like to make sure mine don't run out as i put out 2x wk

machslammer":2vj9eq2x said:
In TN we figure for 6 rolls per momma cow. But we figure oct through March/april. Last year for 16 grown animals i fed 150 rolls. Cold spells and i like to make sure mine don't run out as i put out 2x wk

Do yall get low temps? Ice snow things like that? Just cuious... how much have you seen that they waste? Were supposed to hit 70 here monday first cold front. Pretty stoked.

cloud9cattle":3mbbb3bj said:
Do yall get low temps? Ice snow things like that? Just cuious... how much have you seen that they waste? Were supposed to hit 70 here monday first cold front. Pretty stoked.

Wow that would be our warm front here! Goin down to 41 tonight, in the 30s Sun night...calves are running around like mad, they're so happy for the cooler days.

Hill country in texas. You can literally see the steam off our shoulders when it begins to cool! We et excited to get out of the high 90's. HAHAHA

Guy down the street from me runs 10 mommas and a bull and he buys 35-40 bales every year and usually has a lil left over depending on the winter. Now with that corn stalk from my experience there will be a lot of waste mine only ate shuck and leaves wouldn't touch that stalk plus each bale came with a 1000lbs of dirt. Only thing good about corn stalk is it is cheap about $20 a bale.

wacocowboy":16chs2ca said:
Guy down the street from me runs 10 mommas and a bull and he buys 35-40 bales every year and usually has a lil left over depending on the winter. Now with that corn stalk from my experience there will be a lot of waste mine only ate shuck and leaves wouldn't touch that stalk plus each bale came with a 1000lbs of dirt. Only thing good about corn stalk is it is cheap about $20 a bale.

Don't forget that 1000 lbs. of good rich dirt that comes in with it. :lol2:

TexasBred":5njabo8f said:
wacocowboy":5njabo8f said:

Don't forget that 1000 lbs. of good rich dirt that comes in with it. :lol2:

Yep I ended up with a big hump looked like a giant ant bed, and that was just from ten bales. took a blade and smoothed it out.

chorewife":2mslvjn8 said:
For our 70 Spring calving cows we figure 5 bales per momma and our 34 fall calving mommas we figure 6 bales per momma. we have baled corn stalks more for bedding then for eating but they like humans seem to get tired of the same old thing every day and they sometimes eat what we roll out for bedding.
Dttio here, :nod: B&G

cloud9cattle":3bbtk4y5 said:
To give me a reason to walk through them?

Why do you need a reason to walk through your cows? We don't have cattle anymore(I now raise goats), but I never needed a reason to walk through the cows - or my goats - for that matter. Both are/were an excellent source of stress relief after a day from hell, and just plain fun after a good day! ;-)

msscamp":3kppfrvv said:
cloud9cattle":3kppfrvv said:
To give me a reason to walk through them?

Why do you need a reason to walk through your cows? We don't have cattle anymore(I now raise goats), but I never needed a reason to walk through the cows - or my goats - for that matter. Both are/were an excellent source of stress relief after a day from be nice, and just plain fun after a good day! ;-)
Excellent. :clap: :clap: I feel the same way.

Latest posts