Hay making machines

Help Support CattleToday:

Rob30

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading some of my hay making equipment. Currently I use a 9ft NH haybine, NH side bare rake, and a 5X5 Hesston 5600 round baler.
I have been making hay for 6 yrs now, basically self taught, through books and taking to others.
I am finding that it takes my a long time to make my hay compared to some of the other bigger guys around me.
One of my problems has been break downs with older equipment. That won't change, I just cannot afford the new stuff. Right now mowing and baling are the big time consumers. If I go to fast with the mower I wear out the rubber bushing on the cutter bar. I have though about changing to a discbine, but no one else around uses one. I don't know why.
I have the baler working pretty good now, but it is slow. I have thought about installing a double tie system. But it is a manual tier. Tieing seems to be the most time consuming part of baling.
I bale mostly grass hay from old fields. No alfalfa growing here. Soil is to acidic and not enough drainage.

Your bar rake sounds like the bottle neck. I have one as backup but a V rake is faster.

id get a wheel rake,that will cut your raking time by 30% or more.thats all you need right now.

I'd like to hear your answer to Dun's question...along with how many acres?

Also what are you wanting to accomplish>business for profit or having "fun" and enjoyment? Baling $ curve is as much cost effective as time effective.

What do you mean by manual tying? Do you mean you have to get out of the tractor for every bale?

In contrast I have a Lely Welger round baler. Yes we did buy it new. It makes perfect bales even if you have a monkey baling, it is fast and it automatically wraps the bales with netting.

Suzie Q":z0c8l09h said:
What do you mean by manual tying? Do you mean you have to get out of the tractor for every bale?

In contrast I have a Lely Welger round baler. Yes we did buy it new. It makes perfect bales even if you have a monkey baling, it is fast and it automatically wraps the bales with netting.
It means you have to trip the tie mechanism, it doesn;t happen automaticlly. Some use a rope tied to the lever that you pull, some you just push a button or flip a switch. Those are the only types I've seen.

Thanks Dun. I have mine on automatic until the last bale when I switch to manual. The alarm will still go of when the bales is made, then if there is a bit extra I can pick that up if I want before wrapping.

dun":nkgqf2p5 said:
Suzie Q":nkgqf2p5 said:

It means you have to trip the tie mechanism, it doesn;t happen automaticlly. Some use a rope tied to the lever that you pull, some you just push a button or flip a switch. Those are the only types I've seen.

Think pulling on the rope on the old Hesston 5530's is part of what made my back wear out. Wore out two of the balers and one of me. :cry2:

Cabo":1qsmtr3d said:
Some of the older NHs had a crank you turn to move the string dispenser across the bale.
didn't you mean Antique neighbor still has one like that and I am sorry but anyone still using one of those in this day and age really doesn't need to be baling hay
he is lucky to bale 20 bales a day with it

Cabo":1hi56nxo said:
Some of the older NHs had a crank you turn to move the string dispenser across the bale.
Now THAT would be a manual tie