Hay insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anyone buy insurance on hay rolls? I have about 550 rolls . With the price of hay these days it would be a huge loss if fire was to get into them. I have them in three locations hoping to decrease the odds of something happening to all of them but it still concerns me.

Never done it personally but a lot of folks do. I'd darn sure stack it well away from any nearby roads. Some have had their hay burned down here in years past. Depending on the premiums it could be money well spend especially if the weather stays dry.

It is a good idea.

Back when my now father-in-law was the county attorney, he had a few enemies to say the least. On two seperate occasions, someone burnt his hay pile. The last time, he was trying to move some of the bales to minimize his loss. Got the tractor high centered on a bale and couldn't move. Tractor burned up before the fire department got there.

I believe most farm plan insurance policies cover hay loss up to a limit. I know my policy will cover losses up to $5,000, anything above that will have to be taken out seperately or in addition to. Needless to say, $5,000 wouldn't go very far on your 550 bales. I would look into it. My brother and I never have, but we put about 350 bales in one area, which is about half of our hay. I have thought about it, just never done it. Might this year with the cost of hay.

We have hay insurance on our outside stored round bales. Also, on our small squares in the barn. Very reasonable rates through our Farm & Ranch policy. Hay insurance is a separate line item.

On a side bar, we have our hay stored in 4 different locations. Away from our road. Each "stash" of hay is separated by at least hundred feet.

Well I know we are in Canada but we have our hay and straw insured because a few years ago there were low life's setting stacks on fire.

Ours ( hay and straw) in insured for 20000 and we pay 48 dollars a year. I think it is worth the price.

We have a policy with Farm Bureau that is an "unbrella" policy that covers all sorts of stuff, and we had a quantity of hay bales placed on that. Now if I store more than that quanity, then they aren't covered. It does give me a little bit of peace of mind that if lightning or some moron burning pasture in the wrong place get them, I won't be wiped out.

My hay barns and contents are covered. Grain bins too.

Works out to about $100 per year and I sure do sleep good.

We also have hay insurance. You have to insure minimum 80% of your hay. The reason is, if you loose some because of say fire, how can you prove that was the hay insured. It's kind of an all or nothing deal. Small price to pay just incase some wacko sets fire, some one in need steals it or lightening strikes.

I think its a good idea. One of primary suppliers had 360 bales burned up last year. That was a nice chunk of change that went up in smoke.

I'd say 'do it'.

Katherine

Latest posts