Hay Height

Help Support CattleToday:

For most grasses it is not so much the height as the stage. Cut before it gets stemmy, while it is still mostly leaf. For most grasses you would cut at boot stage, when it is starting to form seed heads.

Depends on what you are cutting. I cut bermudagrass at 2 1/2 to 3". It stays green after cutting and recovers quicker afterwards. Also the last couple inches are all stem and have no nutritive value anyway.

If you are asking at what height to cut the field, for bermuda it is about 15" tall or every 4-5 weeks. For grasses with seed heads- fescue, ryegrass, etc- cut before the seed heads form if at all possible.

Thanks for everyones imput.. Johndeerefarmer your last paragraph is what I was wondering. I try to cut before it gets seed heads but didn't know if in general there was a optimal height.

No problem. Once the seed heads have completely formed the quality of the grass has declined greatly. Having said that, half the time due to the weather I have seedheads whether I want them or not.

Getting any rain there? We had some moisture in May and got two fields cut and baled but since then still waiting for rain.

Good Luck.

johndeerefarmer":1f3n9z22 said:
No problem. Once the seed heads have completely formed the quality of the grass has declined greatly. Having said that, half the time due to the weather I have seedheads whether I want them or not.

Getting any rain there? We had some moisture in May and got two fields cut and baled but since then still waiting for rain.

Good Luck.

Johndeere,
It is raining everyday and every single one of my hay fields has seedheads on them. Its no point in cutting yet because of the rain we are getting its crazy its not enough rain to really soak the hay if I cut it but its enough to get it wet and make it moldy with the hot temp and rain on and off of it so I am stuck for a while. I have cut most of my fields I cut 90 acres of my hay so far I have 76 acres left. I hope you get some rain there. If i could id ups you some.

Latest posts