Hay Grazer

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
I planted about 30 ac. of hay grazer (hybrid Sudan Grass) for hay. Seems like I remember my Dad years ago getting two and sometimes three cuttings in a season.

Has anyone had any experience with multiple cuttings of Hay Grazer? Did you fertilize between cuttings?

My place is in S. Texas which is pretty dry right now but I'm probably more fortunate than some in that I have gotten a little rain.

Earl Thigpen":3ui63eq5 said:
I planted about 30 ac. of hay grazer (hybrid Sudan Grass) for hay. Seems like I remember my Dad years ago getting two and sometimes three cuttings in a season.

Has anyone had any experience with multiple cuttings of Hay Grazer? Did you fertilize between cuttings?

My place is in S. Texas which is pretty dry right now but I'm probably more fortunate than some in that I have gotten a little rain.

You should be able to get 2-3 cuttings if the weather cooperates and you nitrate after each cutting.

I have not tried any of this yet. What would be an approx. time from planting until first cutting? Thanks

I like to cut this stuff about knee high. If you are going to put hay grazer in the barn, make sure you use a conditioner to kremp the hay. Hay grazer is hard to dry out. Don't want you to burn your barn down.

Latest posts