Hay Grazer

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with hay grazer? I'd like some info on planting method, cost, fertilizer amount, and yeild if possible.

I do ~70 acre's a year. Mostly for hay but a little for grazing.
Chisel and disc like we're real farmers. Conventional 7" seed drill 85 pounds per acre. This year seed was 820.00 a ton. Browns in lampasas.
We use a 30-10-0 blend and like to put 250 per acre. That gives a pound of nitrogen per day for 75 day grow. Seems to be ideal.
Yield... depends on rain. Last year we got a unbelievable 9-10 4x5 rolls on first cut and around half that on second. The first cut was late and overgrown due to waiting on it to quit raining.
This year there will be some that will just get grazed as it won't make. The best looking field I'm guessing 4 bales.

I do ~70 acre's a year. Mostly for hay but a little for grazing.
Chisel and disc like we're real farmers. Conventional 7" seed drill 85 pounds per acre. This year seed was 820.00 a ton. Browns in lampasas.
We use a 30-10-0 blend and like to put 250 per acre. That gives a pound of nitrogen per day for 75 day grow. Seems to be ideal.
Yield... depends on rain. Last year we got a unbelievable 9-10 4x5 rolls on first cut and around half that on second. The first cut was late and overgrown due to waiting on it to quit raining.
This year there will be some that will just get grazed as it won't make. The best looking field I'm guessing 4 bales.
Yep....

and get it in early.

I wonder if no till would work? I've also heard it's finicky about when you cut it. I'm trying to find something that will yeild allot and that I can still graze after a couple cuttings. Thought about planting on maybe 50-60 acres. At 4 bales to the acre and 2 cuttings that would be enough for 2 years worth of hay. Decent hay is getting really expensive and hard to find around here.

With fertilizer being so high I wonder if chicken litter would be good enough fertilizer. I've got easy access to chicken litter. They generally get $15-25 a ton delivered or $25-35 spread, just depends on time of year and the demand he's having.

Here is a crop planted May15th, planted @100 pounds per acre. My yield average if cut every 45 days is around 2 tons per acre, per cutting, 2 1/2 to 3 cuttings per year, 200 pound of 46-0-0 per plant and 100lbs of 46-0-0 after we get the hay out of the field. Fence is more knowledgeable about fertalizer than I.

Attachments

• 6EFB4495-F456-4D82-8BB0-63F2BB214988.jpeg
    6EFB4495-F456-4D82-8BB0-63F2BB214988.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 14
Here is a crop planted May15th, planted @100 pounds per acre. My yield average if cut every 45 days is around 2 tons per acre, per cutting, 2 1/2 to 3 cuttings per year, 200 pound of 46-0-0 per plant and 100lbs of 46-0-0 after we get the hay out of the field. Fence is more knowledgeable about fertalizer than I.
That looks fantastic. What would you estimate your cost per ton once in bale form.

Latest posts