Hay gouging

Help Support CattleToday:

unfortunately ill say it again...when yer out of grass and hay theyll get thier money out of ya because ya dont have any other option. granted you should never be in this situation but then again i cant predict rain either......well almost.
im with ya on it being wrong but weve got some good ones and bad ones round here as well.

that was an awesome post.
thank you
not ehough clear conscinces around anymore...

you made some good points but i think were all just kinda complainin bout the cost of doin business anymore

its not getin any easier for the little man..

I really do not mind that hay prices go up, its the guy that I have bought hay from for the past 12 years at fair prices to
jump on the " lets F them " band wagon and charge $8.00
for a bale of grass hay that is musty to boot! :shock: I have been a very good customer to this guy and he has now lost me
to another supplier that is being "fair". There is an ok mark up
and then there is just plain stupid! :devil2:

Last year square bales were selling for 8-10 dollars. This year, after all the rain and the 4 cuttings a lot of folks got, my local feed store was still charging 8.25. I know he's got good hay and he's charging what the market will bear. (Horse people).

We went to Sherman and got first cutting coastal for 3.00. I got all of it I needed.

I understand that the cost of fuel, fertilizer.... has all increased. I don't understand how the market bears 8.00 hay when there's so much of it. Even my friend I usually buy from in Grandview was charding 6.50 this year. I just told him thanks but no thanks. He charged me way less than that during the drought year before last.

Yes, I think that people are gouging, but as long as there are folks out there that are willing to pay, then why not? I just had to look a little harder and drive 100 miles.

I appreciate the customer base I have and remember them. Some folks are with you through thick and thin and they will always get first shot.

I'm not feeding near what I was for the past two years. I use square bales because I have to wrangle them myself, what with my husband working away from home all week and just home on the weekends. If I had more animals then I would most surely go with the round.

Ahhh, the sounds of the hobbiests crying because the hay folks won't play farmer nicely with them! :lol: :lol:

It's gonna get a LOT worse. With the price of corn ( and now wheat/barley ) hay is under a LOT of pressure.

And I love the hobbiests whining about the horse people!! You pay more than 3$ for a small square so you can say you have cattle and YOU are part of the problem! :lol:

Too funny.

horse.gif
dontknow.gif

ALX.":2sajwaup said:
Ahhh, the sounds of the hobbiests crying because the hay folks won't play farmer nicely with them! :lol: :lol:

It's gonna get a LOT worse. With the price of corn ( and now wheat/barley ) hay is under a LOT of pressure.

And I love the hobbiests whining about the horse people!! You pay more than 3$ for a small square so you can say you have cattle and YOU are part of the problem! :lol:

Too funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has been beat down several times. Grow your own hay if you don't like the quality you are getting, or the prices you are paying. If you are not willing to take the risk on the hay, don't complain. If cattle prices were to double, you can bet those whining in this thread won't sell theirs for half price.

some of you guys are funny! :roll: There is no answer::::::::::: It just all comes down to the all mighty
dollar which we all need more of. Make more--- spend more
;-) And what about the price of a 2008 3/4 ton pick up? :pretty:

holly heifer":3hdwomfv said:
;-) And what about the price of a 2008 3/4 ton pick up? :pretty:

holly, It is just too bad the wife isn't going to buy one of those. I'd prefer her to buy a 1 ton, but I would be okay with a 3/4 diesel. But no. She's got her eye on one of those Buick SUV's and its going to have every option gadget she can load on it, and cost more than a 1 ton. She's already calculated how many more months it is going to take to have enough nickels to go get it. Atleast she's paying cash for it. Probably a $20K loss when she drives off the lot :mad: (how much hay would $20K buy?). But it will make her smile and that's okay with me. I don't have to drive it. That is just the way it is and I am okay with it.

I read the forum and I really like and agree with the posts that talked about helping your neighbor. We grow hay and charged those who bought from us last year the same price--they would have paid us more.

It's all about those things others here have said, first and foremost having a clear conscience between yourself and God, your own honor and integrity in the eyes of others, and building friendships and relationships with those who farm.

If those things aren't important--then why did everybody here register and sign-up to communicate on this message board?

For those that sell beef direct to customers including family, friends, and neighbors; do you charge market price or do you charge a bit more? How is that any different than selling hay for more than it's really worth?

I'll tell you what the difference is--the difference is having people to call strangers who couldn't give a hoot about you and building good, positive working relationships with others, family included, that create a mutual benefit. That's friends--that's community and lack of that is why the United States is being bought up right and left by other countries. I just heard today that more Arabs bought up a nice chunk of Citibank.

I don't think it's unethical to make a profit from others, I just think that there's a difference between greed and making an honest living.

LGodlove":4gkeha18 said:
I don't think it's unethical to make a profit from others, I just think that there's a difference between greed and making an honest living.

I know what each bale cost to produce and what each bale has to sell for. Some whiners expect you to sell it for less.

You always know who you can count on. Good customers are valued. Take care of them.

If you agree on a price with a stranger and then drive 20 miles to load them, and they want to renegotiate, get in the truck, lock the gates, and leave. They aren't getting it for any amount.

Didn't this whole thing start with someone being concerned about hay dealers creating a false shortage and then jacking up the price like 400% or something like that?

This goes on in the oil and gas industry all the time...and guess who gets it stuck to 'em? Yup, John and Jane Q. Public. I guess the little guys are learning how to do business like the big corporations.

Creating false shortages to jack up the price by 400% is unethical, I don't care who does it or why. If some stock broker did that, he'd be looking at a prison sentence, I think.

Alice

Latest posts