HAY FOR THE WINTER

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":9otlsg2m said:
arkcowman":9otlsg2m said:
Richard,

I seeded some rye grass last year just after Labor Day, keep the cows off it for 6 weeks and then turned them out on it. My cows didn't care for the hay until that pasture stopped providing around Jan 1st.

Mix some clover seed in with that rye and you'll get a lot of N put into the ground. Much cheaper than fertilizer and it is great forage also. I prefer hubam clover but it looks like there is a shortage of seed this year. I am therefore opting for Madrid. The cows will love you for it and the grass will too next year.

Backhoe, when do you broadcast your ryegrass/clover combination over there? I slung ryegrass seed around October 15 last year, but I was thinking of moving it up a little this year? I'd really like to be able to get them on it quicker this year.

skyline":2x562gig said:
Backhoe, when do you broadcast your ryegrass/clover combination over there? I slung ryegrass seed around October 15 last year, but I was thinking of moving it up a little this year? I'd really like to be able to get them on it quicker this year.

The Texas Field & Farm Seed Planting Guide states "Sept thru Oct" for some clover varieties and "Sept thru Nov" for others. It also has some variable times for spring planting. September and October are common months for all varieties shown. So if you want to move up it is okay per the planting guide.

Hubam clover worked well for me the last three winters but there is a shortage of seed this year due to drought in the hill country. I am going to try Madrid for the first time.

Most all rye grass seed plant dates start at 9/15 as the earliest. I try to time it with rainfall in mind.

Turner Seed has a lot of information on seed planting dates on their website that may help since they specialize in seed formulated for our climate. http://www.turnerseed.com/site/Default.htm

Latest posts