Hay Field, not fertilized??? worth bailing.

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I have a 10 acre bahia field that hasnt been fertilized this year, I have mowed it 1 time to help control some of the weeds, Is it worth having bailed.

Weight your options. Price per bale to what you can get. i had some costal last year that I thought was over and it grew big enough to cut. i knew it was low quality but at 13 $ per bale cutting I figured it could be sold for 20 $. Sure enough I did get that. Check out how your neighbors are doing and figure a little profit and go with that.

Scotty

I baled an unfertilized field last year to clean it up. I knew the quality was low (4.9% crude protein). I planted cereal rye and overseeded ryegrass and limit grazed for a protein source. The alternative was to feed 6 to 8 lbs of 20% breeder cubes every day.

C HOLLAND":dozbc891 said:
I have a 10 acre bahia field that hasnt been fertilized this year, I have mowed it 1 time to help control some of the weeds, Is it worth having bailed.

Just remember, every time a hayfield is cut, baled, and fed in another location, the nutrients (which are taken up by the plants) are being removed from the field and must be added back.

if the hay field has tall enough grass on it id roll it up.or you could turn the cows in.an let them graze it out.but id do something with it.scott

C HOLLAND":3pj1146t said:

If it is tall enough....yes. You might end up with Bahia seeding itself in the pastures that you feed it in though.

If it cuts 2 bales an acre and it cost $15 a round (assuming there is no minimum charge) That's $300 bucks.

Hay in the middle of winter cost say Min $25 to $35 a round, maybe more, but probably not for Bahia or hay without fert.

At $25 a round the hay would cost $500 on the market. Minus your fuel and time for hauling it to another place if tou have too.

Thanks for all the info/help
I was told by a local person that cuts hay as a business to mow the tops off and get it fertilized and he would cut and bale it for $14.00 per round bale. He said I should get 6-10 rolls per acre this time and more if I take better care of field. Now all I need is to get the fencing done and actually get the cows instead of just wishing at the auctions,,,,

thanks again to ALL

Latest posts