Hay field fire

Help Support CattleToday:

badluckfarmer

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I have been having some bad luck this year. I just caught my vermeer 605c baler, tractor, 21 bales of hay, and 10 acre field on fire. The good news is that I did not get hurt. Luckily I had insurance that will replace them with comparible items. I would like to purchase a slightly newer baler that does not have a close throat. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to be looking?

badluckfarmer":1mpyfh9i said:
Good afternoon all. I have been having some bad luck this year. I just caught my vermeer 605c baler, tractor, 21 bales of hay, and 10 acre field on fire. The good news is that I did not get hurt. Luckily I had insurance that will replace them with comparible items. I would like to purchase a slightly newer baler that does not have a close throat. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to be looking?
Sorrry about your situation. I would suggest keeping a good fire extenguisher on your tractor or baler. Acouple of years ago
I was helping a neighbor who wanted to mow the wheat stubble behind the combine and it was really dry and I guess a spark from where one of the knives was barely touching a guard caught the stubble on fire, he had just put a fire extenguisher on the tractor so I was able to put it out, but the wind was really making it go.
Most of your newer balers are open throat I got a Vermeer 5500 rebel 2003 model last year its a open throat. Your newer JD balers are open throat 535,566,567 they make a 5x5 too I think its a 555 or 556.

I agree about the fire extingusher. I have already went and purchased one. I have found a vermeer 605H for $3000. It looks to be a pretty solid baler. It has hydraulic tie, but I am not sure how all that works. I am used to the manual tie. Is anyone familar with this baler and have any suggestion on what I should look closely at?

i don't know much about older vermeers but i have a 1998 555t hesston thats a 4 foot baler that will make anything from a 4x4 to almost 7 foot tall. hydraulic tie and makes a bale that can set out for 2 years and not setttle much at all and everyone i custom bale for tells me it puts more hay in a bale than what they are use to seeing i didn't know since it's what i am use to. i have put up thousands of bales and other than belts and pickup teeth i have never had to do any thing to it. it seems like they can be found for under 5000. like i said i don't know alot about them but i have not heard anything very good about older vermeer balers but thats just what i have heard. what kind of tractor are you going to look for? sorry to hear about your fire but atleast you didn't get hurt and you had insurance.

Thanks for the information. I drove 100 miles to look at the baler and it was nothing like the pictures or how the seller described it. I left very aggrevated. I now have driven 100 miles in all directions except south. Still have not found an exceptable baler. Mostly higher than they are worth. They are currently looking into fixing my tractor. At this point I hope they do, so I do not have to find a tractor as well. I will look into the heston. Thanks again.

Have you tried this site? Might be able to find something close by. Iron Search is another one you might try.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/

We usually have one or two combine fires around here every year during harvest. Could be really bad this year since it's so dry. Good luck.

I have been using tractor house, but I forgot about iron search. Thanks for the help. Nothing very close on tractor house and prices seem to vary widely for same thing. This is starting to get frustrating. I have some dealers that have several, but they are pretty far away. Maybe I just need to hook on to trailer and head out to one of them.

Latest posts