Hay advice for north Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I'm just getting started and currently have 7 registered Angus.
I have 42 acres and most of it is Coastal. Obviously with the lack of rain the coastal is getting a bit dry. I've been putting
out 20% range cubes a couple of times a week. I also have mineral blocks.

At what point do I need to start bringing in some hay? I plan to go with round bale coastal. What should I expect to pay in north Texas? How long will a round bale last?

I had planned to put out one bale at a time and keep the rest
covered. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time! Bob Ramsden

Good morning Bob,

As far as when to put out hay - it depends. I started a few weeks ago because my pastures are burned up from the heat, etc. With 42 acres and 7 head, I would hope you have a little grass left, but it wouldn't surprise me if you saud you didn't.

I paid $29 for nice sudan bales - delivered (2 miles).

How long will it last - again, it depends. I would say for 7 head (hay alone - no winter pasture, etc.) probably 2-3 bales a week.

It doesn;t just apply to TX. The best method is to monitor the animals body condition, behaviour and the condition of the pastures. One thing to keep in mind is that it takes longer to put condition back on then it does to take it off. It's also cheaper to keep it on then put it back on.
Look at the body condition scoring threads and you'll find descriptions and photos to give you some direction

dun

bobrammer - good advice above. If your question is when should you buy hay, IMHO it was in June of this year. I got mine, fert. coastal in late July for $40/bale delivered. I'm hearing now good coastal hay is going for $60-80/bale. You can probably find some lower quality for a little cheaper, but the hay crop was pretty thin this year in N. Texas as I'm sure you are aware. So to answer your questions, I would say as soon as possible, I don't think it is going to get much better until next June; and if we have a hard winter, it will get a lot worse.

Good Luck!

A neighbor of ours is cutting and baling everything in site, may have some hay that is less expensive. Not fertilized but cut off of land that has not had much grazing on it this year, he is probably too far from you but if you want his number send me a pm.

bobrammer":19xcatm0 said:
2 - 3 round bales a week? That seems a bit high.

You might try figuring 20-30 lbs of hay per day per cow.

Bales vary in weight, plus waste is a factor too. I always figure about 8% waste but hay that's not barn stored might go higher.

Have a neighbor that figures 50 lbs per day per cow for 160 days.
He's usually pretty close by the end of the year.

bobrammer":3ur936aj said:
2 - 3 round bales a week? That seems a bit high.

I had 7 cows last yr and put out 2 big bales every 7 days like clockwork. I started feeding right around Thanksgiving and put the last bale out the 14th of March. Went through 34 bales.

I have a few more cows/big bull and 7 calves this yr, so I am feeding a few bales already. As noted before, hay is getting pretty scarce and very pricey around here nowadays. I bought some back in August from a lady, and she had about 300 bales left, told me she never runs out and usually has some of last yrs left over. I called her the other day to pick up 30 more rolls, and guess what, she is already completely out! She's hoping to get another cutting in the next couple of weeks, but since Rita completely bypassed us up here, it's not looking real good. Weather liars are promising some rain tonight, but not sure if it's gonna help enough to get another cutting in. Paid $30 a bale from her, delivered since she is so close. Been calling around the last couple weeks, been finding prices anywhere from $50-$70 a roll! I am gonna sell the calves off a little early next month, hoping to help with the hay consumption and give the cows a break.

Good luck, we're gonna need it this yr!!

Bob,

With 7 head - full grown cows/bull? Bred cows? If we have a bad winter?...How much they eat will depend. But, if you don't have any winter pasture or supplement with any other feed, then it will go fast.

Lot depends on type of pasture, quality of pasture, # of 1000 lb animal units, etc.

The 30# per day per head hay when no useful grazing is available is about right. Right now we are pasturing and supplemental haying about 48 cattle (~30 or so animal units). Putting out about one bale a week now with "acceptable" pasture...we've had several good rains this fall.

This fall we will have contracted for and have delivered (several summer cuttings) about 80 round bales. Current price from a local supplier delivered in our area for fertilized, irrigated bermuda is $52. a bale. Wanted to stockpile hay before price (and delivery costs) went through the roof this winter.

I've heard there are a lot of areas of Texas that didn't get enough rain to get a good hay crop, so you should try to find some as soon as you can. I've heard that east Texas is very short of hay, and around Cleburne as well. Up to $90 a roll from what I've heard. You may have to travel to find a better price and better hay.

If you can make it till the first of the year, sometimes you will have better luck buying it then. People decide that they have more than enuf to carry them thru and will sell some at that time.

Latest posts