Have you seen this cross? Limousin/Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

swg27

Reaction score
I am interested in seeing what a Red Limousin bull crossed on a Charolais cow or vis versa looks like. Does anyone have any experience with this cross and can you provide any pictures. I have not been able to find any info online, doesn't seem to be a popular cross but none the less I would like to see some. I would be looking to keep the replacement bull calves from this cross to breed longhorn cows to try and knock the spots off and add pounds. Any thoughts/info would be helpful.
Thanks,
-Spencer

I'm not sure about the keeping bull calves part but you will get a tan or wheat colored calf. That should grow to be a whooper

We've tried that cross both ways. Limi bull over char cow made a nice cross that actually made some very competitive show steers for my sister. They were good feeding, sound made and tan/ buff. Char bull on Limi cows not so much! Either way, they all are gone now. The double up continental makes a good feeder, but to get a breeding piece, a shot of British is better IMHO.

Neighbor ran this cross For a while. He got some nice tan/wheat colored calves. He wound up running into issues with many of his heifers he retained not having enough milk tho. There are good and bad milking lines in all breeds. I guess the ones he used were weak in that area. Think he's switching over to Gelbvieh Bulls now.

I have a Limo bull on some Gelbvieh cross cows, and those are some awesome steers, I have 1 sold as a 4H project, and I think he ought to do well, he's got tons of width right from the shoulders to the butt, good length, and a deep chest.. This year is the first set of Limo calves for me, so the jury is out on how the heifers will do.. I have a few nice ones too

I bought 2 Char heifers that were bred to a Limo bull. They grew the biggest calves that I've ever seen a heifer grow on my place. I wouldn't mind finding a good Limo bull to run with my whole herd.

Son of Butch":w1jxfp8j said:
Chappydog":w1jxfp8j said:
That should grow to be a whopper
Could a longhorn cow produce enough milk to grow a whopper?

By no means am I a die hard longhorn lover. I just graduated college and I chose longhorns because they fit my budget to get me going. There are things I like about them but in the coming years they arent something I will continue to have. The longhorn cows I have do surprisingly well giving milk. I live in southwest missouri and im sure this environment helps them.

"Red Bull Breeder" I have seen some of your posts on here about crossing red limmy bulls to knock the spots off the calves from longhorn cows. I have tried Charolais, Red Limousin, red angus, Gelbvieh, hereford and black angus. The Gelbvieh calves would make the best replacements. The red limousin and charolais do the best job of knocking off the spots and put good growth on the calves. Black angus did the worst job knocking off spots. The hereford calves are a unique cross and look pretty good with the spots looking more like the hereford on most calves.

My thoughts are I might get even more spots knocked off from a 50/50 limo, char. cross. I currently red only red limmo bulls on my cows. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your insight. I agree a shot of British would be better in most situations.

Why go to the trouble of crossing Limousin and Charolais to produce a crossbred bull. Just use one of those two breeds and be done with it.

Keep the solid colored heifers out of the Red limousin bull and cross them back with the Char bull. Or go back on the 1st cross heifers with the Limmy again and then use the Char bull. Once you get to the third cross you will be able to use the English bulls to tone down the continental influence. Its a long process but it will work.

For the shot of british, depending on your pasture quality, a shot of shorthorn (solid red only!) might do pretty good if you want momma cows with milk out of the deal.. Only think I would say is that you'd want a fair bit of Char influence if you don't want your cow to get too big and framey. The SHxGelbvieh I really like, and the limo daughters look good, they look significantly better than the SHxLimo heifers, the GV keeps them a little stout and keeps meat on their bones.. I think I'm only keeping replacements that have GV influence from the Limo.

Son of Butch":1cgl3ga0 said:
Chappydog":1cgl3ga0 said:
You could be surprised about how much milk these longhorns have and raised whopper calves. Just because they have small udders, doesn't mean they don't have milk.

swg27":p0qz3irf said:
Son of Butch":p0qz3irf said:
Chappydog":p0qz3irf said:

By no means am I a die hard longhorn lover. I just graduated college and I chose longhorns because they fit my budget to get me going. There are things I like about them but in the coming years they arent something I will continue to have. The longhorn cows I have do surprisingly well giving milk. I live in southwest missouri and im sure this environment helps them.
My brother had 1 longhorn. He ran it with a charolais bull. It put out some nice calves that brought good money at the auction

i have very good friends that run a lot of longhorns in West Texas. they breed them to Charolais bulls and feed the calves themselves with very nice results in the yard. i saw several hundred of the yearlings from last years calf crop on feed and was very impressed.