Have you guys seen this video?

Help Support CattleToday:

In years past I've drug calves a lot furher then that to get them up near he fire. Looks more like frusration then cruely to me

Not the ideal situation and can tell by the guy running back to check the cow he didn't think so either. I'm glad I don't have to worry about neighbors with cameras capturing half the story.

I think it would be good if someone would stick that video camera up that neighbors a$$.

Maybe that would teach him to mind his own business.

I don't think he meant to drag her either. Looks like they were trying to move the stock out of that pasture. If he was being cruel he would have been doing about 50mph instead of going at a pace that the cow could keep up with. Now that being said he should have looked back more often to check on her. I wonder though if it was common for him to rope her to get her moved and she just happened to fall this time. I knew a man who walked his roped cow behind his truck just about everyday to let her eat on the sides of the road.

Tod Dague":2edokcjt said:
Maybe he was halter breaking her. :p

I had thought when I watched it the first time that he had it around her horns. I looked at it again and from te angle of her head while he's pulling it still looks like it. I once drug a heifer a couple hundred yards down an asphalt road. She sat down the last 50 feet or so and ended up with her but worn raw. Couldn;t ever get her out of the pasture after that. The slaughter truck didn;t have any problem getting her out though

Jim62":1j4wzuzs said:
I think it would be good if someone would stick that video camera up that neighbors a$$.

id be more than happy to do just that. probably some bleeding heart liberal. he has her roped around the horn's and is not choking her down.

Thanks for the opinions. I wasn't sure what to think, (Was the owner lazy, frustrated, or....???). It does look like the ground is relatively soft where he drags her, but it's weird seeing someone do that over a relatively long stretch and in a van with no real visibility. It also looked like once he had her moving willingly, he could have slowed down a bit. Instead he seems to speed up and make her run and that's when she went down. If he had stayed steady, I think it wouldn't have looked so bad and she could stayed on her feet. Again, that might have been avoided had he had better visibility. But, we don't know the cow or the owner.

Maybe he was a cattle rustler! :eek:

The whole scene reminds me of dogs being dragged away from their owners at vet clinics! (NOOOooooo! I DON'T need to be neutered!!!! :lol: ).

Hopefully, he was dragging her somewhere to load her up for the sale barn. What a pain! I wouldn't want a cow that required brute force to move from pasture to pasture.

had a neighbor get p----d off at his limo bull and rope him around the neck in 90 + temp and 100 percent humidity drug him to the gate of my stock trailor were he died in about a minute. never seen a animal breathing as hard for air that wasnt there . it was hard to breath just standing still. me asking to wait over and over but the dumb ass just kept going

In some ways she reminds me of an old pet cow that has no flight disance. We have a copule that are so calm tha you have to put a shoulder in their but to get them moving. If you walk around behind them, half the time they turn around to see wha you're doing back there.

dun":3hb1o9xc said:
In some ways she reminds me of an old pet cow that has no flight disance. We have a copule that are so calm tha you have to put a shoulder in their but to get them moving. If you walk around behind them, half the time they turn around to see wha you're doing back there.

We've had some like that, and when they're a lot bigger than you sometimes they just stand there and ask you to scratch their tail while we're messing around back there. :lol:

I think it was someone pretty ignorant about moving an animal. Maybe the cow was moved regularly by roping while on horseback, but didn't want to follow the van. I didn't think she was running, she was doing her best to brace against any movement forward. We have had an occassional calf drop on it's side when it encounters a halter the first time.

I'd say 95% of the time it's poor management to drag an animal. If it happens repeatedly then I'd call it cruelty.

I find no fault with the man. He was keepin a slow, steady pace for the animal ta keep up. I personally woulda been stoppin when it went down but cattle be pretty tough. I be of a mind ta think someone could film me the same way when I be workin new calves, shots, tags, etc.Probably be lookin alot like torture ta some folks.

Peye":zltxywke said:
There is no way I am going to treat my cattle like that. :(

You are absolutely right. I would never drag a cow around like that. I would have gone and got the hay forks and forked into the next field.

ALACOWMAN":3a61xb9t said:
Jim62":3a61xb9t said:

id be more than happy to do just that. probably some bleeding heart liberal. he has her roped around the horn's and is not choking her down.
If Davis was going to get involved he should have quit playing photographer and gone to help the man.

He needs a 'talking to' so he can learn to mind his business and let other folks mind theirs.

I see now problem with it.

I am sure some of you know about how to knock a cow down. One guy ropes the horns,,, then another guy,,, and then the second guy rides around the back and trips the animal up. Then you can drag the animals where ever you want. Most of the time to the trailer to be sold.

It just looks bad in the video becasue the guy is using a van and when ever you see a van like that you think of something suspicous. That is the kind of van you always see serial killers, rapist, ect... cruising around stalking their victums in the movies.

If the guy was horse back with a cow boy hat it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

The guy who videoed it probably grows herds in the back of his eco-friendly house and they are calling him a "farmer". Any real farmer would have given a hand or kept going... not video taped it and sent it to the media.

Brute 23":1k7q09wu said:
I see now problem with it.

I am sure some of you know about how to knock a cow down. One guy ropes the horns,,, then another guy,,, and then the second guy rides around the back and trips the animal up. Then you can drag the animals where ever you want. Most of the time to the trailer to be sold.

It just looks bad in the video becasue the guy is using a van and when ever you see a van like that you think of something suspicous. That is the kind of van you always see serial killers, rapist, ect... cruising around stalking their victums in the movies.

If the guy was horse back with a cow boy hat it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

The guy who videoed it probably grows herds in the back of his eco-friendly house and they are calling him a "farmer". Any real farmer would have given a hand or kept going... not video taped it and sent it to the media.
i agree he needs to get his sht together if he's gonna raise cattle. and not redneck em around