Have said it before and will say it again...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
The crock pot is the friend of working people everywhere! I know that when I walk through the door at 4:00 this afternoon that there will be a pot of beans waiting for me because I just put them on low this morning. I also love to do a beef stew in the crock pot. Yesterday we made queso.

What are your crock pot faves?

I've tried chili and stews in a crockpot, but mine has a couple spots where the contents stick real bad, and ultimately burn. The pot is some kind of ceramic looking stuff and I even use non-stick spray. You ever run into that?

My favorite thing to crockpot is a beef roast, with carrots and potatos added about halfway through.

Jim, There are plastic wrap crock pot liners that are a cooks best friend! Any grocery store has them.

1 small can of mild green chillis.

1 pound of turkey burger loose and browned in the skillet

1 pound of lean hamburger loose and browned in the skillet.

Two bottles of Pace picante, one mild and one medium. Usually about 24 oz bottles but whatever they have there.

1 14 oz bottle of ketchup.

Put it all in the crock pot. Leave it on warm for several hours.

I use it as dip. Get several bags of tortilla chips. I prefer the scoops.

I have serveral favorites....hard to pick one.

I have a large crock pot and a small one. :D

The small one, I used for melting chocolate for dipping fruit and cookies, cheese dips, little smokies and BBQ sauce, and other tasty type appetizers to munch on during the weekend.

The large one, I stuffed whatever I could in it....chuck roast, pork roast, ribs, BBQ, beans and hamhocks, soups, stews, Swedish meatballs, Italian meatballs with tomatoe sauce, sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut.

During the fall and winter months, I like to keep a pot of hot apple cider going. Tastes good and makes the entire place smell good. 8) :D

Lammie":1ip382sf said:
The crock pot is the friend of working people everywhere! I know that when I walk through the door at 4:00 this afternoon that there will be a pot of beans waiting for me because I just put them on low this morning. I also love to do a beef stew in the crock pot. Yesterday we made queso.

THANKS Lammie :D I was wondering what to make the Boss for Supper. I'm putting on a pot of beans. :D :D

mnmtranching":1qmmhpe1 said:
Lammie":1qmmhpe1 said:

THANKS Lammie :D I was wondering what to make the Boss for Supper. I'm putting on a pot of beans. :D :D
OK ~ when Lammie suggested, I thought it was a Tx thing. Now, I am curious. What exactly makes up a pot of beans?

angie2":126064kn said:
mnmtranching":126064kn said:
Lammie":126064kn said:

OK ~ when Lammie suggested, I thought it was a Tx thing. Now, I am curious. What exactly makes up a pot of beans?

Sorry angie2...
pinto beans is what most of us are talking about. With cornbread, pinto beans can be a complete meal. Usually when I have pinto beans, I cook the beans real slow with ham hocks, or chunks of ham in the pot. With that, I will also have fried potatoes, chicken fried steak, and cornbread.
I like my fried steak lightly dusted with a flour mixture of garlic salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. I pan fry mine.

I almost forgot....white gravy for the steak, but I prefer brown.

Well! I'm hungry now. :lol:

We use our crockpots year round, but especially in the winter. We love to cut up a beef round steak into small-medium sized pieces and throw it in with chopped onion and a couple or three cans of cream of mushroom soup and water, enough to cover the meat. Really love it served open-face with garlic mashed potatoes! We do the same with pork chops, chicken, tame rabbit, squirrel, venison, etc. Outside of organs, I can't think of anything I wouldn't like fixed like that!
Edited to add water to the canned soup. It will thin down considerably as it cooks, so I only add about a half can of water to a can of soup. Wife likes it thinner and uses a whole can of water - still good, just have to have more biscuits to sop up the extra gravy!
Other favorites are:
swiss steak
pork chops and Spanish (Tex-Mex) rice
stuffed bell peppers
roast, carrots & potatoes

fit2btied":392otxye said:
We use our crockpots year round, but especially in the winter. We love to cut up a beef round steak into small-medium sized pieces and throw it in with chopped onion and a couple or three cans of cream of mushroom soup, enough to cover the meat.

How much water? I just figured out what was for supper tonight!

Soup!

Clean out the frig and you can make an excellent soup. Meat, beans, peas, carrots, onions... you name it, it'll go well. Make up a big ole' pot and freeze some for later.

angie2":3mrds4uu said:
fit2btied":3mrds4uu said:
We use our crockpots year round, but especially in the winter. We love to cut up a beef round steak into small-medium sized pieces and throw it in with chopped onion and a couple or three cans of cream of mushroom soup, enough to cover the meat.

How much water? I just figured out what was for supper tonight!
The wife says one can of water for each can of soup but I'd cut that in half, I like it thicker than she does. We do it Burger King style here - whoever fixes it, gets to have it their way! :)

The lentil soup has been cooking all night.

My personal favorite is quick seafood chowder.
A few of cans of cream of potato soup and a can of cream of celery soup
A couple cans of chopped clams add the juice to the pot
About a half pound of bacon fried crisp and chopped
I season with rosemary, sweet basil, and if the mood strikes me, tarragon (carefull here its a dominating spice).
When hot I add a pound or so of shrimp. Tried salmon and halibut but wasn't real fond of the result, Susie loved it though.
When the shrimp are hot its ready.
Biscuits in the oven and dinner is on.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

Since the liners came out, I use mine a bunch, too.

My favorite -

2 jars of sauerkraut, squeeze all the juice out
2 full links of smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
6 potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks

Put down 1/2 the sauerkraut, 1/2 the potatoes, then 1/2 the sausage. Repeat. Top with 3 fresh bay leaves. Pour 1 cup of water over the top.

Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with rolls and bock beer (that's my favorite part).

Another secret I use - a light timer - turns on and off at specified times - so that if something I'm cooking only needs 4 hours, I can time it to finish cooking at 7 pm for dinner.

angie2":2novvx1b said:
mnmtranching":2novvx1b said:
Lammie":2novvx1b said:

I use a bag of pintos, enough water to cover them and then some, maybe a couple pieces of salt pork or bacon, and salt. That's all.

Latest posts