Hauling Hay / Livestock Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I was driving down the hwy today and saw a guy hauling big round bales in his livestock trailer. Now I understand how he got them in there, but I don't see how he is going to get them out. :D It looked like maybe a 24' trailer and he had maybe five round bales in there end to end. You think he will get his loader, take the first one out and then manually push the next one to the back of the trailer so he can grab it, and so on? I've been looking for a bale trailer, but this sounds like a good idea when you just need to haul a few bales. Anyone else do this and how do you get the bales out?

Thanks,

Tom

On second thought, these were at least 4x5 or 5x5 bales so I don't think he can "push" them back without some sort of mechanical help. Maybe he has a 24' long bale spear?

He may have put a rope or chain around them. Then hook to a tree and drive out from under them.
Just a guess

I'm guessing they would drive right in with a skidloader. That is how it was done here before.

alabama":3jqy2ssu said:
He may have put a rope or chain around them. Then hook to a tree and drive out from under them.
Just a guess

My first thought.

I'd probably just let my wife push them out.

cfpinz

somn":2y9y3ggm said:
I'm guessing they would drive right in with a skidloader. That is how it was done here before.

Yeah I guess that would work, but that sure would be a small skidloader. It was just your average trailer with maybe a 6'8" width and 6'6" height.

alabama":3887r05e said:
Just a guess

Yeah, good possibility. Would even work better if he put in pallets to set the bales on. He could then just hook the chain to the pallet and pull.

If it was barn stored hay I could possibly see rolling it out but if hay was stored outside I don't think rolling it would be an option.
Sounds like a good way to get hurt or tear up a cattle trailer to me.

Jogeephus":abefi9w6 said:
If it was barn stored hay I could possibly see rolling it out but if hay was stored outside I don't think rolling it would be an option.
Sounds like a good way to get hurt or tear up a cattle trailer to me.

The bales were end-to-end so there wasn't any rolling them in or out. Agree with tearing up the trailer. I don't plan on doing it myself unless there is some special technique that we haven't figured out yet. :D

It sounds like one my brilliant ideas that I don;t quite think all the way through.

I had a guy at a cotton gin blow my stock trailer full of seed once.

I just unhooked the trailer, used my front end loader to lift the front of the trailer high enough so that the seed just fell out the back.

I've hauled round bales on a flatbed that had 4' high sides on it. Loaded it by placing a bale on the back and then pushed it up with the second bale and so on until the trailer was full. Unloading was a matter of wrapping a chain around all the bales and backing the tractor up. It looks like a huge caterpillar crawling out of the trailer.

To get them in, you cand set the first bale in the trailer and then push it back with the second bale and then the third bale will push the first one and so on until it is full.
To get them out, you put a lariat rope around the first one and tie the other end to the tractor, a pickup bumper, or anything and pull it out. Then tie on to the second one and do the same and so on until they are all out. You can tie onto the front bale and pull them all out at the same time, but you risk the bales bucking or going crooked or getting out of whack somehow and tearing up your trailer.
I have pulled many, many bales off of a truck with a lariat, of course if they arent tied well, they explode when they hit the ground. It works, though.

J. T.":2j9edj1p said:
I've hauled round bales on a flatbed that had 4' high sides on it. Loaded it by placing a bale on the back and then pushed it up with the second bale and so on until the trailer was full. Unloading was a matter of wrapping a chain around all the bales and backing the tractor up. It looks like a huge caterpillar crawling out of the trailer.

Yup, Its hard on every thing involved though. Tranny, clutches, ect... Just a flat out good way to tear stuff up. Will do it also... but don't like to, too many other better ways. :)

I would just roll them out by hand myself, maybe have a bar to use as a lever. Northern people are like there cattle, bigger and stronger then there southern counterpart.

auctionboy":3k52r9j9 said:
I would just roll them out by hand myself, maybe have a bar to use as a lever. Northern people are like there cattle, bigger and stronger then there southern counterpart.

I'd just use the trailer that was bought to do the job.

I know that a ranger truck will haul 2 5X5s. But the bed ends up spread a little at the top rails.

Auctionboy, if you can push 5x6 round bales that weigh 1500-1700 lbs and are lined end to end out of a stock trailer with a lever, you can sell a whole lot of bottles of whatever supplement it is that you are taking.

Sounds to me like this guy should put them in by sticking them in the side so when he got home he could just roll them out---- but to each their own --- maybe he has a lot of time on his hands to play around with 5 rolls of hay or maybe he sends his wife out there to do it --who knows

Latest posts