Hauling a bull & cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

IHman

Reaction score
I purchased a bull about 200 miles away & am needing to get him picked up. We have been haveing below zero temps so I am hesitant to haul him this distance. Would temps in the 30's be warm enough to bring him home? This is the first I have bought livestock that far from home. Was thinking a fella could put some sort of cover on the side of the trailer to block the wind. What are you alls thoughts on this? TIA

He should be fine in the 30's. 20's probably wouldn't hurt but I would stretch a tarp of some kind around the front of the trailer or better yet get a horse trailer if you have a friend you can borrow one from. Make at least one stop and let him rest and maybe give him a drink even if you have to do it on the trailer.

I'd haul him straight through. No stops. Gone "allot" further then that before. If you have a standard stock trailer with a sheilded front he will be fine. Unless someone shaved all the hair off his ears and they are going to be exposed to wind constantly it shouldn't be a problem at all... :) Putting some hay down in the bottom of the trailer or having a non-slip floor would help if it's freezing temps. Run in the warmest part of the day. If he is a young bull he might even lay down.

Where is the bull at now?

He can't be in that different of a climate if he is only 200 miles away.
Even if it was an open sided trailer it won't hurt him. If he is that fragile not sure how he is going to survive when you get him home.

Keep it under 55 mph. Can you juice him up with LA200 or Nuflor before you hit the road?

It's 200 miles, not 2,000.
Put him in a trailer and drive non-stop back to your place.

Cattle are more durable than we give them credit for. Throw that big boy in that trailer and mash on it! :lol:

1848":2qy83gr8 said:
I'd haul him straight through. No stops. Gone "allot" further then that before. If you have a standard stock trailer with a sheilded front he will be fine. Unless someone shaved all the hair off his ears and they are going to be exposed to wind constantly it shouldn't be a problem at all... :) Putting some hay down in the bottom of the trailer or having a non-slip floor would help if it's freezing temps. Run in the warmest part of the day. If he is a young bull he might even lay down.

Better than 90 degrees. Little over 3 hours motor on Dude!

It's only 200 miles. Have the front of the trailer covered, plenty of straw or straw/sawdust on the floor, water and feed him before you start, and if possible cover the side of the trailer with a tarp on the side of the prevailing wind as you are traveling. Dont stop. Just barrel home, and have feed available when you get home. And go in the warmest part of the day so you will get home before 3:30 PM. It gets COLD quickly after that.

DOC HARRIS

Well I called the folks that have him and they said its suppose to be in the 40's the day I will bring him home, will be colder up here but only by a few degrees. Will be hauling him in a 20' Calico GN trailer, dont think I will need to cover the sides if is to be that warm. Some straw on the floor and away we go. It is around a 3 hour trip maybe less with him on board.

DOC HARRIS":3tz61914 said:
It's only 200 miles. Have the front of the trailer covered, plenty of straw or straw/sawdust on the floor, water and feed him before you start, and if possible cover the side of the trailer with a tarp on the side of the prevailing wind as you are traveling. Dont stop. Just barrel home, and have feed available when you get home. And go in the warmest part of the day so you will get home before 3:30 PM. It gets COLD quickly after that.

DOC HARRIS

We don't usually feed them, might cause a bloat. Hay is okay though

He is already in freezing weather. Hauling him won't hurt one bit. He has been standing in the snow or wet weather with freezing temps before. I don't think a dry trailer is going to hurt him at all.

gerardplauche":3k177d5y said:
Keep it under 55 mph. Can you juice him up with LA200 or Nuflor before you hit the road?
Okay I need dramamine before I fly on planes so do you think la200 or nuflor will also help with motion sickness for me?

somn":2c6vkdhe said:
gerardplauche":2c6vkdhe said:
Okay I need dramamine before I fly on planes so do you think la200 or nuflor will also help with motion sickness for me?

How much dramamine would a bull need to not get motion sickness? :eek:

gerardplauche,

I usually have a few drinks at the airport bar to help out with my motion sickness- maybe he could save a little money and feed the animal a double Dewar's???

Latest posts