HatCreekFan's Limi Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

all the limo bulls I have had in the last ten years have been mild tempered

A story from last summer

I used to take a bag of windfall apples with me to the pasture as treats for MARK our 2200+ limo bull.
one day the pasture manager saw a man in the pasture picking mushrooms and guess what, he had a bag like I used, to carry apples.

When MARK saw a man with a bag he came running .
The man went through a 5 strand barbed wire fence on the run. The man claimed he had been charged by the bull.

The pasture manager could not stop laughing as he told me this story.

Very good looking Limi bull. Especially for terminal calves. Years ago we used a Limi bull on our commerical cows, and we always got a premium when we sold the calves. They were all uniform and really fed out good.

Don't believe everything you hear about their temperment either. The bull we had didn't have a mean bone in his body. His calves were never hard to handle either. If you were in the pen with him and felt comfortable, you should be okay. The real test will be when you pen him to load him.

LimiMan":8x2b8xgj said:
Frankie":8x2b8xgj said:
LimiMan":8x2b8xgj said:
Frankie":8x2b8xgj said:
He is a good looking bull. I like the red Limousins. But we went to a Limousin sale yesterday where the good looking, meat wagon, red ones took a licking on price compared to some pretty average black ones. I asked the buyer sitting next to me why and he said feedlot buyers wanted black calves to get the CAB premium. I don't know if that's true, but he apparently believed it because he bought a couple of black ones.
Frankie, did you go to the sell at durant?

Yes, we went to the Southern OK Limousin Sale and Super Bull Competition sale at Durant. Did you go?

No, I wasnt able to go, but I talked to Bruce Brooks and he was bidding on a Fullblood bull for me. Did they have a pretty good turn out?

We've been going for about five years and this was the smallest crowd that I've seen. But the bidding held up pretty good for quite a while. The highest price that we saw was $4,200, but prices had dropped off pretty good (especially on the red ones) when we left. We wanted to see some of the LimFlex heifers sell, but had to leave about half way through the bulls.

We had always remarked about how calm most of the bulls in this sale were. But this year there were several that were pretty snorty.

Did you get the bull you wanted? If you talk to Brooks, ask him how the heifers sold.

couple of yrs ago i bought 2 limo hiefers 300# sisters or so who remembers.
brought em home and put them in the corral!
named em on the spot!
lucy! silly red head but harmless ( lucille ball)
peggy (al bundys wife) total air head
lucy would eat out of my hand
peggy would run to the the far end of the corral and look at me as if to say "YA NUTS"
needless to say i decided to give peggy wheels
6+' fence i don't think she even lost 1 hair as she went over it!
long story short! where i live it is open range when not fenced! livestock have right of way!
anyway a couple of mothhs went by no responses to my missing cow report, the livestock inspecter calls me . got her !!!!
long story again!!
2 horses head tied ! fought to get her loaded and to the slaughter house!!
point being 2 basically identical cows 2 temperments!just like me and my bride!
im sensible she is
nooooooo honey not that again
dad gumed that hurt , and she says i am the air head and ia m not going to disagree

No, we didnt get the one we were after. He was a double polled bull and they talked him up as maybe being Homo polled. So he went for a little more than than what I was wanting to spend. And next time I see Bruce I will be sure and ask him.

We have a fullblood Limousin bull that just turned 3. To get him to move we have to halter him and lead him to the next pen. Yeah, he's a wild one all right. :lol:

Had a Red Limi once. He was one bull when you went in the pen with him you had to be ready to jump back out. You never knew when he was going to tolerate you and when he wasn't. Put wheels under him after he chased some folks up on an old baler. Was funny at the time but dangerous.

The Limi bulls aren't the crazy ones. It's the cows and the bulls daughters. The bulls we had in the past were not a problem but 80% of the daughters that had to be culled were something else. But there are nuts in every breed, it's the percentage that bothers me with the limi's. I hope they've made progress in the temperment department.

milesvb":1ik57kmm said:
The Limi bulls aren't the crazy ones. It's the cows and the bulls daughters. The bulls we had in the past were not a problem but 80% of the daughters that had to be culled were something else. But there are nuts in every breed, it's the percentage that bothers me with the limi's. I hope they've made progress in the temperment department.

Based on their docility EPD they've mad progress, but sometimes a bad apple still pops up. A neighbro runs somewhere around 300 head of limos. When their daughter was showing 4H they would bring up at least 5 heifers to try to halter break and get gentle enough to handle, most years they got at least one, some years they had to go back for another bunch.

dun

Well, My lim-angus/cross heifer got me again this weekend, I was reaching through the lower rails on the cow panels to pull a feed bucket closer to fill with grain and she butted my arm and me and the panel about 2 feet. I thought she had broke my arm for a few seonds, but after using the post hole digger all day I worked out the soreness. Now if the left hands knuckles would feel better after I smacked her after she rammed me LOL

She has that look in her eye, (come a little closer and let me ram you again) I am not sure if I will breed her with my other heifers next month, Besides her bad attitude, she is not polled and I sure don't want horns with an attitude after me. I think she will taste mighty fine though. I hate to not keep her though, I think she would be a good cow.

I think bad attitudes come in all breeds.

C HOLLAND":2uherxqt said:
I think she will taste mighty fine though. I hate to not keep her though, I think she would be a good cow.
Nut cases come in all breeds, but any one that keeps them around an extra day needs help too.

C HOLLAND":r1874o8a said:
Besides her bad attitude, she is not polled and I sure don't want horns with an attitude after me. I think she will taste mighty fine though. I hate to not keep her though, I think she would be a good cow.

I think bad attitudes come in all breeds.
Sometimes dehorning will help bring about an attitude adjustment.

CattlemanFromOuterSpace, if that's your real name, methinks that is a virgin bull-no offspring. HatCreekFan can correct me if I'm wrong. Fine looking bull there HatCreek.

As I read the words 'attitude adjustment', that line from that Hank song went through my head.... :lol:

Will have to take a peak at his EPDs....nice bull. Went to a Limi sale last year and if I remember correctly, a red was the high seller, went for $6,70, I think, been awhile.
Was going to get one but the BWs scared me away as we were breeding some heifers.
Really nice bull...

Earlier in this post folks were complaining about the black
cattle of red breeds being inferior to their red counterparts.

I'm supprised the Angus guys didn't speak up.

It is true and they cost alot more too.

I am starting over and I'm going RED this time.

I'm tired of over paying for black gelbvieh bulls.

We bred and raised good crossbred commercial cattle for
18 years.
We started with a commercial herd of Brangus,
Crossed with a good hereford bull then introduced Gelbvieh
and then back to Angus.

Problem, we would wind up with 33 to 50% red calves depending
which bull was in the feild at the time.

We don't sell enough calves to have our cattle sorted by color.

This time we are going back with the same breeds but RED
this time.

I believe we will have better cattle quicker because color
won't be a limiting factor when bull shopping.

hillbilly

hillbilly":2deq7zte said:
Earlier in this post folks were complaining about the black
cattle of red breeds being inferior to their red counterparts.

I'm supprised the Angus guys didn't speak up.

It is true and they cost alot more too.

I am starting over and I'm going RED this time.

I'm tired of over paying for black gelbvieh bulls.

We bred and raised good crossbred commercial cattle for
18 years.
We started with a commercial herd of Brangus,
Crossed with a good hereford bull then introduced Gelbvieh
and then back to Angus.

Problem, we would wind up with 33 to 50% red calves depending
which bull was in the feild at the time.

We don't sell enough calves to have our cattle sorted by color.

This time we are going back with the same breeds but RED
this time.

I believe we will have better cattle quicker because color
won't be a limiting factor when bull shopping.

hillbilly

Ah, but there is a trap in going to reds. What will you do when you find the heterozygous black bull that really blows your dress up?

dun

Latest posts