Hatchet's Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckBenham

Reaction score
1069_1024.ts1141430560000.jpg

A while back I was posting here like crazy, I was new and excited. I posted a picture of a black and white bull that brought a lot of heat from the people here on the board. "Caustic" named the bull "Hatchet Butt." The comments here were right and we sold the bull at the auction barn. I thought that Caustic might get a kick out of seeing one of the calves that came out of Hatchet, it seems like he got to a couple of the heifers there before we sold him.
It looks now like the lack of rain and the price of hay here in south Texas are going to put an end to my being a hobby rancher. The situation is bad, looks like the little herd will have to go if I can't come up with some affordable hay here soon.
Later,
Buck

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope you can hang in there. Even if you have to sell there's no reason you can't stick around here and have some fun with the rest of us. Good luck.

Hang in there Buck!

I thought that y'all had gotten some rain over there, but I guess not.

If you do have to sell cull real hard first, and maybe that will buy you some time. Keep your absolute best, and only the best.

By the way, don't worry about getting called hatchett butt. I had a hatchett butt also. I like the looks of the calf, though.

Sorry about the drought situation cull boy cull and hang on, dig in and fight that is what it is about. Don't cry got to suck it up man if it ain't droughts its floods, bvd, lepto, pinkeye. This is a fight for life. Just think old Hatchet Ass made you some folding money, just think what a good bull will do. You have to control cost on the front end you have to get tighter than a crabs ass and thats waterproof to make it. Mght pay to haul your culls to Crockett as prices have jumped up here saw cow calfs bringing 1200 to 1300 bucks yesterday since we got rain.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/AM_LS144.txt

Buck cull down. Regroup. Next remember to take into acount for the things you should have prepair for. Caustic said it best when people do not take into acount for mother nature. Every one said i was crazy for not selling hay that is now two years old. I am now having to chain and watch my hay for theives. Always be prepaired to feed three months longer than usual.

Scotty

Nice calf; but I still think we were right about the Panda bull with the Hatchet A**. This business is about genetics. Bad bulls throw some great calves and Great Sires throw some bad calves. A single calf doesn't prove much one way or another. The difference is that great bulls throw more great calves than sorry ones and bad bulls throw more bad calves than great ones. This is a search for excellence. Your bull SHOULD be of the type and quality you desire to see in your calf crop.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":e1eg647c said:
Great looking calf. Actually looks like it has a nice little butt from this view (rear leg muscle bulging).
To me it's another calf. But if that's a great looking calf, would you recommend someone to buy it for a club calf because it has a real good chance of winning a show with 25 or more entries in it.

Hang in there, Buck.

We've been through drought here before, and can really commiserate with you. Worst case scenario is sell back some head. At least on the upside you'll have the fun of restocking when the drought breaks.

Take care and keep your chin up.

Lost Hope Ranch":3cs722xy said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3cs722xy said:
Great looking calf. Actually looks like it has a nice little butt from this view (rear leg muscle bulging).
To me it's another calf. But if that's a great looking calf, would you recommend someone to buy it for a club calf because it has a real good chance of winning a show with 25 or more entries in it.
Don't quite understand - picking up a bit of sarcasm there. We're not talking show cattle - just a commercial calf out of a bull he got raked over the coals by all of us. Nothing wrong with saying something nice. It is a great looking calf - flashy colored - pretty face. It's just a newborn, what do you want?? Not many newborns that don't look great.
Now, if I was analyzing my calves or someone I know that is looking for that "great" one, I might not use the term "great". It's all in perspective.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2648r4me said:
Lost Hope Ranch":2648r4me said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2648r4me said:
Don't quite understand - picking up a bit of sarcasm there. We're not talking show cattle - just a commercial calf out of a bull he got raked over the coals by all of us. Nothing wrong with saying something nice. It is a great looking calf - flashy colored - pretty face. It's just a newborn, what do you want??
  • Not many newborns that don't look great.
Now, if I was analyzing my calves or someone I know that is looking for that "great" one, I might not use the term "great". It's all in perspective.
you said a mothfull there neighbors herd for example. all are inbred mutts bull included babies calves look fine till they get a few month on them then the bad genetics start showing up. just like mongrel pups

you said a mothfull there neighbors herd for example. all are inbred mutts bull included babies calves look fine till they get a few month on them then the bad genetics start showing up. just like mongrel pups

All baby calves are cute. I agree with you 100% there Alacowman.

I really can't see the good genetics in calves till they get about 3 months old. From there to yearlings is where they will shine.

Latest posts