Has this happened to You

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
My wife and I were working our cattle this weekend and she was operating the head gate and I was walking them down the alley 1 at a time and she would give shots on one side and I would work the other side and spray for flies.

Everything was going fine until our 6A (450lb)heifer decided she would pull her head back before the wife caught her and then make an exit through one of the drop down side panels where I reach through to give shots. She looked like a deer jumping a fence and did this with no problem.

My wife and I worked the cows with ease and had a very good system going, we have improved our technique in the last couple of years. The bull wasn't even a problem. I noticed the calves were just laying down and waiting until it was their turn.

Anything that you let happen in a handling system will happen.
Don't scrimp, don't second guess.Too much at stake.
Put yourself in their shoes.

( Cattle give me a remedial lesson on these points about twice a year! ).
:lol:

The more you work them without getting them excited, the more they will cooperate, in general. (There's always the fool)

Start bringing them in the chute everyday and before you know it, they'll be standing there waiting for ya. :lol:

Seriously, cows are creatures of habit. They like to do the same things everyday and almost at the same time of day.

Anything out of the ordinary is asking for excitement.

If you leave the panel down again that same one will try it again. :lol:

Latest posts