Has anyone seen this? Is it weird?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
OK I have a jersey cow that we believe isn't bred. I have tried to check her but couldn't find anything. Have seen her come into heat but not for the last 2 months. I am not getting a vet out for this as it would be way to expensive to get him out to check one cow. So anyways. Her calf that she was nursing was weaned over a month ago and since the other cows have started calving, anything that is 'small' she licks and licks it and when it pees she licks that as well. I have never seen her like this before. Is it weird? I don't think she is lacking anything. She never did it before but is now forever licking. She is licking yearlings. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks again :shock:

The question that she hasn't come into heat for two months , I would get her checked as she might be cystic.

The other behavior is very normal ,pregnant or open.
I have a calf that has two mommies, one Holstein that we have been flushing fell in love with a new calf and is by his side all the time . Cleaning him, watching over him, the same as his mom. It is not a problem as the calf knows which one has the groceries.As long as she isn't stealing them I wouldn't worry about it in fact it is a good thing as they can take turns being with the calf while they go eat.

Hunny Do Ranch":1aho6aus said:
OK I have a jersey cow that we believe isn't bred. I have tried to check her but couldn't find anything. Have seen her come into heat but not for the last 2 months. I am not getting a vet out for this as it would be way to expensive to get him out to check one cow. So anyways. Her calf that she was nursing was weaned over a month ago and since the other cows have started calving, anything that is 'small' she licks and licks it and when it pees she licks that as well. I have never seen her like this before. Is it weird? I don't think she is lacking anything. She never did it before but is now forever licking. She is licking yearlings. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks again :shock:

Do you have minerals and salt available to the cows? If not,that could explain some of the licking.

The nurse cow I used to have (Jersey) used to do the same thing. She loved babies.

I made a point of being sure she was bred to calve before any of the others, for 2 reasons, #1 so I would have plenty of colostrum on hand and #2 because when she didn't have a calf on her, she would try to steal a newborn.

Katherine

That sounds alot like my Jersey, except it is me she likes licking. Everytime I get near her and start scratching her she starts licking me.

I luv herfrds":27vcv9dz said:
That sounds alot like my Jersey, except it is me she likes licking. Everytime I get near her and start scratching her she starts licking me.
Yeah she likes to lick me as well. She has lots of salt and minerals. I know she eats it as well. :lol:

Latest posts