Has anyone heard this story?

Help Support CattleToday:

Andyva

Reaction score
I remember reading about a guy, pretty sure it was Canada, found a range bull that was big and long. This was back when everything was real short and deep. He bred this thing to some cows he had and then line bred the bull back onto his daughter. The story went that he waited up in the barn, and if the calf came out deformed, or not the right color or whatever, he was going to start culling, the calf, the cow, the bull, and himself, because he had a lot invested in the venture. Everything turned out OK. I want to say it was one of the black breeds from Scotland, but I'm not 100%. I know that could be a touchy subject. I read the story, remember talking to a guy that had heard the same story, just can't remember any names or details. I can't find anything about it on the web, and just wondered if any of you guys remember anything about this.

andy,
It's an old, old story. One that's been replayed repeatedly, all around the world. That's pretty much how all 'pure' breeds got their start.
Somebody picked a bull or cow that had traits that they liked, and inbred/linebred those animals and their offspring until they 'fixed' breed characteristics.
Eventually, someone forms a breed association, describes breed standards, and then they start excluding individuals or lines because they have red coat color, white in front of the navel, horns, scurs, or whatever. Sometimes the disqualifications are strictly for cosmetic reasons, but sometimes they are put in place to address the presence of detrimental heritable defects.

Lucky_P":2rgyj8ob said:
andy,
It's an old, old story. One that's been replayed repeatedly, all around the world. That's pretty much how all 'pure' breeds got their start.
Somebody picked a bull or cow that had traits that they liked, and inbred/linebred those animals and their offspring until they 'fixed' breed characteristics.
Eventually, someone forms a breed association, describes breed standards, and then they start excluding individuals or lines because they have red coat color, white in front of the navel, horns, scurs, or whatever. Sometimes the disqualifications are strictly for cosmetic reasons, but sometimes they are put in place to address the presence of detrimental heritable defects.
Lucky_P

You are absolutely correct my friend. This is an old, old 'Wive's Tale' from years ago that has been told around camp fires, and corral fences, and auction benches, and beer parlor bars since Hector was a pup. I suckered under to that old tale when I was 11 years old, and got all excited about maybe getting in on the "ground floor" - - until my Dad enlightened me about holding onto my hard earned money and thinking about reality things instead of dreams! But everyone has to learn some things the hard way.

In other words - Keep Things In Balance!

DOC HARRIS

Some people from the angus association came by today wearing suits. They put on sunglasses and pointed some kind of light thingy at me. I don't remember anything about this story now.

Andyva":zi1csj1h said:
Some people from the angus association came by today wearing suits. They put on sunglasses and pointed some kind of light thingy at me. I don't remember anything about this story now.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

wacocowboy":24rtdv3j said:
Andyva":24rtdv3j said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
:lol: Priceless! :lol: :clap: :tiphat: Thanks for the giggle! :lol2:

Similar to reports of priceless one-of-a-kind zero miles on the odometer automobile found in an old barn, and the legendary 200 MPG carburetor that "big ahl" snapped up from it's inventor and hid.

Seems like this was more in the context of an article including pedigree information than in a story around the campfire, but they could be one and the same.

Latest posts