hard core or soft core

Help Support CattleToday:

Hands down- HARDCORE--Superior to handle (lots of truckers won't even haul soft cores)- better bale shape & density-don
't recquire as much power to form bales- will unroll right to the core not in a pile!!!!

Depends on how hard of a core. Had some that we had to flip on end, stab down and it lifted the front of the tractor off the ground just to get the spike in. I never got hay from that guy again.

dun

dun":9oqhzghk said:
Depends on how hard of a core. Had some that we had to flip on end, stab down and it lifted the front of the tractor off the ground just to get the spike in. I never got hay from that guy again.

dun

Yeah, I have heard of that happening - but if you got a full size bale, he did not gyp you on the amount!

Larger bales - even when really hard have a pile of hay in them and will not move when you ram them with a spear.

Bez?

Hardcore balers have many advantages:

1) More productive. There isn't a softcore baler on the market that will run with a good hardcore baler.

2) Bales keep better when put up dry.

3) Less hauling and handling.

4) Less power required to run.

Having said that, softcore balers have their place too:
1) Cheaper intial purchase.

2) Hay can be 2 or 3 points wetter and still keep well. Translates to less leaf loss when baling.

3) Easier handling with smaller equipment.

I've got both around here. An M&W 5506 softcore and a NH664 hardcore baler. If conditions are wet or extremely dry, I'll use the 5506. Its an enclosed chamber baler, and leaf loss is minimal. But otherwise, I'll use the 664. I like being able to roll into a heavy 120 acre field and bale it in a day.

Rod

Bez?":2ff32ubg said:
dun":2ff32ubg said:

dun

Yeah, I have heard of that happening - but if you got a full size bale, he did not gyp you on the amount!

Larger bales - even when really hard have a pile of hay in them and will not move when you ram them with a spear.

Bez?

There was a lot of hay in them, that's for sure, 6X6. But he cheated! He had a deal that lifted the bales from the outside, as best I can describe it, kind like a giant tweezers (big pinchy lifter). To unload the trailer I had to push them off then stand them up. Took forever to get the stuff moved and stacked.

dun

Latest posts