Hydrostatic Brakes Soft

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
When I parked my tractor last Saturday the brakes were fine. When I got in this morning, I noticed that both brake pedals were soft. They will stop the tractor but they are both going all the way to the floor. I would normally think that is a bad master cylinder or air in the lines, but would both go out at the same time? It is a 20 year old Agco tractor.

Yes both can go out at same time and often do. Have you checked the brake fluid? Not sure on that model but have had several others that would get low on fluid and do what you describe. Could be the master cylinder also. Make sure if it does need fluid you get the right type. Some take a special mineral oil fluid and regular brake fluid will ruin the seals in them.

Top off with correct fluid then try to bleed them . Flush system real good if it ever had wrong type fluid put in it

Yes both can go out at same time and often do. Have you checked the brake fluid? Not sure on that model but have had several others that would get low on fluid and do what you describe. Could be the master cylinder also. Make sure if it does need fluid you get the right type. Some take a special mineral oil fluid and regular brake fluid will ruin the seals in them.
You are right on the fluid thing. I know it requires Dexron as opposed to DOT fluid. I topped it off, but before tearing off the cylinders, I will bleed the lines first and see.

If it's low on fluid you'll need to look for leaks. Could be either the master cylinders or wheel cylinders. If the pedals don't sink with steady pressure applied it's probably not a line or hose.

Hopefully the wheel cylinders on your model are accessible without a ton of work if that's the issue.

Latest posts