Happy but sad time of the year.

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
As the seasons change to fall and winter its a happy time with the holidays that we celebrate, but its also a sad time for many families who lose everything they got to house fires, some lose their lives.
Every evening when i watch the news there reporting on another house fire. I hope that all of you stay warm but safe this winter.
Have you checked your smoke detectors lately ? If not its time.

hooknline":14qz35wd said:
Don't forget the Co2 detectors as well..just as important

Very true, in 1999 i moved to Virginia for about a year. With the help of Co2 detectors i found a crack in the firebox on the heating system.

curtis":1929xsrc said:
As the seasons change to fall and winter its a happy time with the holidays that we celebrate, but its also a sad time for many families who lose everything they got to house fires, some lose their lives.
Every evening when i watch the news there reporting on another house fire. I hope that all of you stay warm but safe this winter.
Have you checked your smoke detectors lately ? If not its time.

Ours burned down in 1981, we were blessed no one was hurt. But you still loose things that can't be replaced, like pictures. The one that really got me was we lost an old family bible. Wasn't upset about the house, just wood thats what I pay insurance for.

we had a fire in the chimney last March and I had four fire trucks nearly stuck in the yard.
fortunately no damage to the house but had to put a liner in the chimney ..2 grand that I did not have.
was regasketing the stove last weekend and found a crack in one of the cast iron plates under the gasket. took it to a welding shop as I am not so good and don't have cast iron equipment. Pick it up tomorrow.
be careful and get those chimneys cleaned.

pdfangus":1g1tn8r8 said:
be careful and get those chimneys cleaned.
That's the best advice that's been posted on these boards in a long time!

I had a chimney fire last winter, too. Just had it cleaned. We didn't burn anything else in there until it got done. I feel a little better about it, now.

we just had our chimmy cleaned a few weeks ago.he pulled the inser out to clean it.we think we can clean it now when it needs it after watching him clean it.

bigbull338":wk2kbz5j said:
we just had our chimmy cleaned a few weeks ago.he pulled the inser out to clean it.we think we can clean it now when it needs it after watching him clean it.
Unless it's got a metal liner the little cost of having it done and the chimney inspected with a camera is pretty good insurance

At the risk ok looking stupid, its not Co2, its CO. Anyway I'm gonna drop a chicken on a rope down the chimney and clean it that way
:mrgreen:

hooknline":3g5v902i said:
At the risk ok looking stupid, its not Co2, its CO. Anyway I'm gonna drop a chicken on a rope down the chimney and clean it that way
:mrgreen:
We found out one year that chiney swifts flying in and out of a chimey don;t do a very good job at cleaning it

hooknline":h5x6rfh9 said:
Dun, that's cuz they're too small. :lol2:
As much junk as they knocked down it sure is hard to believe they left anything, but they did

curtis":3gin9sqm said:
hooknline":3gin9sqm said:
Don't forget the Co2 detectors as well..just as important

Very true, in 1999 i moved to Virginia for about a year. With the help of Co2 detectors i found a crack in the firebox on the heating system.

You moved to Virginia and then back to ARKANSAS? :oops: You must have been in the wrong end of the state or you would have never left

A friend lost his house by fire on Christmas Day a couple years ago. As the family was opening presents that morning their little girl was rolling up the wrapping paper and throwing it in the fire place. Some of the tape from the wrapping stuck to her clothes and when she walked away from the fireplace it pulled the burning paper with her. Her dad ran to grab her and she got scared and ran toward the tree only a few feet away. The tree caught fire and in an instant the whole room was ablaze. They all got out alright but the house was a total loss.

I have a fireplace and have always had a wood heater. They tend to dry the air and everything in the house so please be careful when placing the Christmas tree in a room with either one of them. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to have a sad Christmas.

upfrombottom":3ofz5ibt said:
A friend lost his house by fire on Christmas Day a couple years ago. As the family was opening presents that morning their little girl was rolling up the wrapping paper and throwing it in the fire place. Some of the tape from the wrapping stuck to her clothes and when she walked away from the fireplace it pulled the burning paper with her. Her dad ran to grab her and she got scared and ran toward the tree only a few feet away. The tree caught fire and in an instant the whole room was ablaze. They all got out alright but the house was a total loss.

I have a fireplace and have always had a wood heater. They tend to dry the air and everything in the house so please be careful when placing the Christmas tree in a room with either one of them. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to have a sad Christmas.
On the wood heater or insert we always kept a tea kettle full of water with tyhe whistle removed from the kettle. Makes a huge difference even in western washington on the sound where it tends to stay damp most of the time

dun":3epk93i0 said:
On the wood heater or insert we always kept a tea kettle full of water with tyhe whistle removed from the kettle. Makes a huge difference even in western washington on the sound where it tends to stay damp most of the time

I've always done the same. Also cooked a many a pot of beans on the heater. And roasted peanuts on it too, a hand full at a time, love'em while they're still hot.

dun":3ohx9xuc said:

This kind of hit home, as I live in the soggy pacific NW! I have cooked soups and stews on the wood stove for years, but I always kept a pot on the wood stove for humidity in the air. My last couple of water pots were tea pots with the dammm whistle, I remember the first whistled pot, it was two a.m. and I was yanking on the whistle cap with a pair of pliers before I thought about just leaving it off the stove until morning..... Dun, you just made me think about all the pots we have used throughout the years and the dumb things I have "dun" in the wee hours of a sleepless morning. :D

BTW, I quit burning a slow, "air less" fire years ago, for fear of a chimney fire. Now it's always a hot fire and just build another when the house is cold enough, always thinking of creosote build up and the slower the fire the bigger the build up. Plus a chimney brush every year from the roof down, Although, I do live in a single story house..... And I probably just jinks our house this year.

I have witnessed a chimney fire and it is a very hopeless feeling, you're just praying it burns out quick and without harm.

Alan

Latest posts