hanging tree dogs..

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Any one ever dealt with a hanging tree dog? what kind of temperament? easy to train?
We have a real nice border collie X heeler, but she is starting to get a bit older, and for some reason she has never had any use for the boys, so we could never get any pups out of her. Am sort of thinking towards the future and wondering what the hanging tree dogs are like...

The good ones are really easy to get along with. Do you plan on starting a pup, or buying one that's already going?

I have never dealt with them myself personally, but I know a rancher who has two of them and swears that they are the best cattle dogs he's ever worked with! I'm not sure if they make good pets, or strictly working dogs.

We have one.. We don't use her for working cows..Very smart but active. They will find a job. Lugnuts job is keeping things out of the yard and fetching a ball. She will fetch a ball until she died, i'm sure. We keep her in with a wire fence. She'd chase cows, or anything that moves if we did not contain her. I had a heeler run over, so no more free dogs.....She has more heeler qualities than anything else...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxflhbtnOcw

Lugnut is obsessed with balls. Shes uber aggressive also. If she knows you well, you're ok...But she's always on guard and will stalk a person until she gets a good shot at biting them. But, if I see she's watching for her chance to bite or I was unable to get her before I can walk a person to the house, i'll say, "Where's your ball!!" Cant bit if she has a ball in her mouth and will not put it down to bite..she may act like she's going to bite, but will not put the ball down to do it... We have a entry gate and warnings all along the drive and a entrance with warnings to not pass that point with a phone number.....but, we still have people work their way to the yard...

Have had a number of border collies, some great, some not great, and some lousy..
my opinion, the old more laid back- style BC are better than the hyper new style BC..
Seem to make a better all around dog, I think..
Had BC crossed with heeler, same thing, some great- some not good.
It seems hard to get a real good dog now days, one that can be a good family / kid dog, / cow dog..
might be good in one area, and not good in another area..
The dog we have now has done everything from 4-H obstacle course, to grabbing a cow by the ear,
to threatening someone who wanders in the yard drunk--she hates drunk people with a passion, not sure why..
I am hating to admit she is getting a little bit older, so am starting to think ahead.
It really sucks when you spend time and money working and training a dog, and some how they have a quirk that you totally cannot train out, and you have to find another dog to start all over with, and it does happen from time to time.
The dog we have now has waaay too much "head", almost no heel, but other than that is a great dog, so wondered what a hanging tree dog would be like, one that has both head and heel in them..
and what kind of family dog they make...

I've been around a couple. I don't want one based on what I saw. They want to chew on stock to much for my taste. I want a dog that can handle anything but if all they do is chew it's about like someone jabbing with a hotshot when the cattle are already moving. I'm sure there are some that can back off but that isn't what I saw.

I've never owned one or saw one work in person except one time Charlie Trayer http://www.charliescowdogs.com/
Put on a demo at the Western heritage classic.
It was in an arena with dog broke calves.
They seemed work good but it was a controlled environment.

There used to be a cowdog forum and the guy who owned it plus several others were big time hanging tree guys.

Probably like anything else you get a few good ones, but you have to sort through the bad.

I have a hanging tree pup that just turned a year old. Hate to say that I'm not overly impressed. He hasn't really shown the interest in cattle so far as some good BC that I've had in the past. Hope that the light bulb just hasn't come on yet.. He is a sweet natured dog though and the kids like him, but he was way too expensive to just be a pet ($650). In my experience it can take a couple of years for a cow dog to cross the hindrance to help plateau.

Lazy M
I would be patient, I had a dog that hardly looked at a cow till she was about 5, then it seemed the light bulb came on and bingo, she turned into a really good dog. She did have a couple glitches, not sure if it was her female cycles or what, the odd time--not often- when it came time to work, she would kinda, wimp out and give me a --"What you want me to bring in that rank beast" look, and not want to work, but that wasn't often at all, most of the time she would go out and tell that cow in no uncertain terms it was time to come to the barn, or she was going to remove some flesh. She was great with kids, but not always so great with strangers, so just tolerated her extremely rare "not wanting to work attitude."
Often wondered why every rare once in a while she decided she didn't want to work, cause she seemed to love it most of the time..

I have a hanging tree dog. He is just 2 years old and for my limited ability getting one trained he is actually getting to be pretty solid. Most days I can gather all of our cows with just him and me. He doesn't have a whole lot of bite to him, but he definitely saved me during calving season. I was tagging a calf and the cow hooked me down. Slick (the dog) knows to not leave the side by side when I am tagging, but when the cow got me down he damn near chewed her ear off. I was able to get clear and call him off. He is definitely a very active dog that needs something to do. If he doesn't have a job he wants to pester our roping donkey a lot. He isn't interested in playing with a ball or anything so I have to go work him either on goats or bottle calves pretty much daily.
As far as a family dog, he is great. I have two young daughters and if we aren't working he really isn't my dog. If they are out playing I don't worry about them because he is always ALWAYS with them, and very protective of them. He hasn't ever bitten anybody, but I was playing with my oldest and she screamed and he jumped up baring his teeth at me until I spoke to him. He also tore into a 130 pound lab that knocked my daughter down one time. He just got the other dog far enough away from her and came back and licked her face until she got up. He has never shown any aggression toward people coming in the yard or anything, but would hate to see what he would do if you messed with his girls (my daughters). He plays with them a lot too going up and down the slide with them, they dress him up in princess dresses and maul the snot out of him and he just loves every minute of it.

The short of the long is I am really impressed with what I have seen from him. Started him on stock when he was about 6 months and he's been progressing ever since, and I can't imagine a better dog for my daughters.

I've never owned a Hanging Tree Dog. But I have heard they're great hunting dogs. Is that true?

Seymore, TX... South Texas? :???:

It's always hard to judge a line of dogs like that. They get just like cattle they get out with certain people and get spoiled or people think they have a Hanging Tree dog but they really dont know because its 2nd or 3rd hand.

Latest posts