hang time at butchers

Help Support CattleToday:

nfcc

Reaction score
i'm sure alot of you have your own meat processed , just wondering your thoughts on hang time ,rule of thumb or what has work well for you

we hang ours for 14-18 days depending on the outer fat layer. we just had a couple of t-bones that were butchered immediatly and the rich beef taste just wasn't there. to hang a carcass for 35 days, someone would have to really know what he was doing.....

30 days was the norm back in the day when the standard was prime and choice was considered low quality. Nowdays about 10-14 days. I might add the meat that grades prime today would be lucky to grade choice back then.

2/B or not 2/B":3ckums3p said:
14 days, tender and delicious. I'd like to try 21 days but I don't think our beef has enough fat cover for that. You would also get a little more shrink I believe.

On a hanging carcass about 1.5% per day!

Hada prime rib that was claimed to have been aged 25 days. It was tender and had decent (not great flavor) but boy was it DRY. We hang for 14 days or a day or 2 more if the butcher is tied up, our prime rib is never dry and just as tender and with better flavor.

Can't speak for today, but can give some interesting info. Back in the 60s, I had a chance to go through a large packing plant in Chicago. Was suprised to see what looked like a inch of green mold on the hanging carasses. I don't remember anymore how long they had been hanging. They than scraped and washed them down.

I hang mine for 17-19 days. About 90% of tenderization that will occur happens in the first 12 days. After that, its all about flavor. As the carcass loses moisture, the beef flavor is concentrated. A good layer of fat is needed for proper dry aging. The fat helps the carcass retain moisture during the aging process and also serves as a protective barrier to the mold that will start growing. My butcher trims the moldy crust off with a draw knife, then rinses the carcass off. Some extra trimming is done after making the primal cuts. Hanging is really just controlled rotting. One thing to remember is that dry aged beef will not last as long in the freezer as wet aged, and the longer you age it the shorter it will last.

.......and If your dry aged beef is dry, you either overcooked it, or your butcher doesn't know what he's doing. :nod:

Been doing 14-18 days over the last two years (40 animals) and still getting positive feedback from the customers.

Latest posts