Hair on Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl

Reaction score
Okay I am planning on showing a steer, my first, he will be a Black Baldie or Hereford. I will get him around April. Since I live in Texas the weather gets real hot. Someone told me I had to rinse and brush him everyday and keep atleast 2 fans on him all time. During the summer put a mister on him. All that makes sense since you want the hair to grow. What doesn't make sense to me is why you want long hair on a steer? Since you aren't using him for breeding just strictly meat why does it matter what his hair looks like? If the answer to that is to cover up faults. Maybe make him "pop" more or to make him appear deeper sided. Isn't that false advertising??? I was just wondering.

As Ryan said, you kind of answered your own question. However, coming from a place that hair 'is the game' I somwhat disagree. I do not see it as false advertising. The reason being, a good judge can see through the hair, most judges do. Growing hair is like an art. Its fun and gives me something to look forward to, also gives me something to do in the summer.

Take this for example-I have a VERY VERY mediocre Vegas steer. He is nothing special and intended for nothing but the freezer. Hes not that bad though. He has most of the right parts but lacks in muscle defenition and base width. So on this steer I leave the hair on the outside of the leg long and take it down fairly tight on the inside to make him appear wider. Then I take his butt down real close, close the the tail and 'feather' it out to make it appear that he has a wider butt. Does it make him look better, yes. Will it help me place higher in the class, maybe. But, if the judge watches him walk, he will see that he steps real close together and when he gets his hands on the steer he will feel the lack of muscle. Its just fun to see what you can 'create' out of a little hair

BTW lets not argue this one...been there done that...its just my opinion. :secret:

I guess I did answer my own question. Thanks for the explanation. It does seem like alot of work. With my brahmans I do have to brush them everyday to keep there hair slick. But I am ready for the challenge.

I have to agree.. seems pretty pointless in a hot state like Texas! Don't most of the majors down here show slick steers?

TheBullLady said:
I have to agree.. seems pretty pointless in a hot state like Texas! Don't most of the majors down here show slick steers?[/quote

Depends on the show. We don't show steers so I'd have to look at each show. Same with heifers, some allow full fitting and others are blow and go. Ft. Worth lets you glue all you want whereas Houston is blow and go.

And yes, playing with hair is a lot of fun. :nod:

Fort Worth is the only hair major in the state along with every major outside the state. San Antonio, Austin, San Angelo, and Houston are all slick shows with a 1/4 in. max hair length.

Cowboy 2.0":1auh9vbg said:
Fort Worth is the only hair major in the state along with every major outside the state. San Antonio, Austin, San Angelo, and Houston are all slick shows with a 1/4 in. max hair length.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think the only way to show them is slick. That way you can see what they really look like and it doesn't become a beauty contest. I think you should also ultrasound all the steers and put more emphasis on carcass rather than hair. After all we should be raising steers to eat just not look at.
:banana: :banana:

Latest posts