Had to put 1 down today

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
She got hit by a train. Broke back leg.

It was a first for me.

She was a heifer we were bring along. Nice animal ....

Thanks

Oh, that's dreadful. I'm so sorry. I've never had to do that...I leave that up to my husband. I'm such a chicken.

Someday, I'm afraid, it will fall to me to do, since my husband travels a lot. I hope I'm able to do what's best...just as you had no choice but to do. Bless your heart.

Alice

Alice":738vkxbn said:
Someday, I'm afraid, it will fall to me to do, since my husband travels a lot. I hope I'm able to do what's best...Alice

you could ask a neighbor to put the cow down for you if you cant bring yourself to do it...if that situation every happens...hopefully it doesn't though :)

IluvABbeef":19n6o5y0 said:
Really sorry about your loss. Things like that happen, you know. :( :cry:

Thanks...

We've lost several over the years. Just never by a train hit.

Wewild":1743xlq0 said:
IluvABbeef":1743xlq0 said:
Really sorry about your loss. Things like that happen, you know. :( :cry:

Thanks...

We've lost several over the years. Just never by a train hit.

We had some steers get out on us, and one of them threw himself at the tractor wheel. No idea why. Had to put him down...was a real shocker for us... :shock: :(

Wewild":3tfmf96x said:
She got hit by a train. Broke back leg.

It was a first for me.

Wewild where have you been man?
Well if you stay in the biz long enough you will have to innoculate some with a 44 goes with the territory.
I will shoot one in a heartbeat refuse to let them suffer you know when they have the look.

Had to put a young heifer down the other day. One minute she's nursing, the next minute she's broke her back leg in the pens. Just a reality of the business.

Hippie Rancher":jpp1fr2m said:
I have put a few down. I hate it - can never seem to get it done in one shot bleh.

That would eat a hole in me.

I load the biggest thing on hand and shoot true. I've never put down anything with more than one shot, outside of hunting, and generally I get that right the first time.

Caustic Burno":153nwab9 said:
Wewild where have you been man?
Well if you stay in the biz long enough you will have to innoculate some with a 44 goes with the territory.
I will shoot one in a heartbeat refuse to let them suffer you know when they have the look.

Thanks. Im back.

The 44 is exactly what I used.

Heritage_Farmboy":28ldinv4 said:
Alice":28ldinv4 said:
Someday, I'm afraid, it will fall to me to do, since my husband travels a lot. I hope I'm able to do what's best...Alice

you could ask a neighbor to put the cow down for you if you cant bring yourself to do it...if that situation every happens...hopefully it doesn't though :)

That's something that never occurred to me, HF. I could ask the person that lives down and across the road to do that...if it ever came to that. I normally don't ask others to do things that I wouldn't do myself. This, however, would definitely be one of those times. Thanks.

Alice

backhoeboogie":aghpp78g said:
Hippie Rancher":aghpp78g said:
I have put a few down. I hate it - can never seem to get it done in one shot bleh.

That would eat a hole in me.

I load the biggest thing on hand and shoot true. I've never put down anything with more than one shot, outside of hunting, and generally I get that right the first time.

Wouldn't it? It's happened to Van a couple of times...and he was miserable afterwards. We've got to get something bigger.

Alice

Wewild, sorry to hear about that heifer. Been there a couple times myself. It stinks.

Glad to see you on here again. Miss your posts.

Katherine

Alice":2r4he6rg said:
Wouldn't it? It's happened to Van a couple of times...and he was miserable afterwards. Alice

I can only imagine. Cringes me to think about it.

It is hard to do. The only thing harder is to watch an animal suffer.