Had a nice thing happen the other day...

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
mwj":26upc1ra said:
Options you never answered the question of who determines the value of the beef being sold since we all realise the price varies greatly.
You do mwj.

To let everyone else know that you were one of the first to jump on SRbeef after he posted some of his $$ figures but to big of a chicken **** , hypocrite or liar to post yours when asked. Coming from a guy that wants to pound his chest about doing whats best for the cattle industry, I would think you would be more than willing to try and help others out when asked, so we dont flush the whole cattle industry down the toilet.

rockridgecattle":8gsg2t39 said:
i never wrote anything in that post about selling cows please post where...
If we sell old cows, they do not even go through the sale barn they go direct to the slaughter house sold rail grade
Why did you ever bring anything up about your cow calf cost and everything else. That had nothing to do with making a profit on $85 fed cattle. Yet somehow in your mind it was impossible for me to do it. Here is what you typed in case you forgot.

forth $85.00 is that per hundred weight? So then .85cents a pound? If that is true then
a. you are on grass all year
b. all you get are bull calves when you calve
c. all your calf wean weights are over 575 pounds each
d. you provide no vet care like vaccinations or deworming
e. you have the live and let die method of ranching and you do not count your death losses in your economic losses
f.the .85cents does not include yours, the farmer O/O labour

I do not care about your cow calf operation this is about the pricing of fed cattle. I have no bull calves, I'm not on grass all year, I don't wean calves, I provide better vet care than most people have ever seen, I do not have a live and let die method, I do not cow calf I know nothing about a cow calf operation, and unlike most of you here I will never offer advice on something I know nothing about. Now back to the pricing of fed cattle for slaughter.

LimiMan":39zht9kf said:
To let everyone else know that you were one of the first to jump on SRbeef after he posted some of his $$ figures but to big of a chicken be nice , hypocrite or liar to post yours when asked. Coming from a guy that wants to pound his chest about doing whats best for the cattle industry, I would think you would be more than willing to try and help others out when asked, so we dont flush the whole cattle industry down the toilet.
Okay so clearly you either can't add or you don't know how many pounds are in a ton. I offered to send you a calculator. 2000# in a ton have someone help you with the math until the calculator arrives. As far as what weights I buy what part of my answer did you not understand? I can type slower for you or something. I buy whatever weight will be the most profitable that day. It changes daily with the markets. I understand you all stuggle with market prices. So for most of you this is like a foriegn language.

Geez... I would think by now that you all would realize that options is like a sausage mill. He keeps going 'round and 'round and round........

This is history repeating itself. Do any of you remember the "fertilizer" thread?

options, I suspected that you have a feed lot operation. Didn't ask because I didn't want a riddle for a answer.

SRBeef's operation is different than yours. He has more money and time invested in his final product than you. Namely owning and feeding a bred cow while waiting 9 months for her to calve. Even if she is on grass, it still cost $ to keep her. You live in a different part of the country and fuel, feed & hay prices vary across the nation.

Edited to add, you probably get a much better price break for your feed stuff because you buy in a much larger volume than the average poster here.

Really, getting your panties in such a wad over what he sells his beef is ridiculous. It is his business, not yours.

chippie":1urtkw68 said:
SRBeef's operation is different than yours. He has more money and time invested in his final product than you.
This I doubt

chippie":iapptxy2 said:
owning and feeding a bred cow while waiting 9 months for her to calve. Even if she is on grass, it still cost $ to keep her. You live in a different part of the country and fuel, feed & hay prices vary across the nation.

Edited to add, you probably get a much better price break for your feed stuff because you buy in a much larger volume than the average poster here.
All of this may be true but fed slaughter cattle are only worth market value. Gut filled fed cattle are worth even less. Adding 65% to the market value in my opinion is unethical. Yes buying in volume has it's advantages. I've already said scale is where it is, and money can be made.

options":3elr795n said:
chippie":3elr795n said:
SRBeef's operation is different than yours. He has more money and time invested in his final product than you.
This I doubt

Why is that, it sounds like you are on the small side when it comes to feedlots.

LimiMan":18ptsxfn said:
options":18ptsxfn said:
chippie":18ptsxfn said:
This I doubt

Why is that, it sounds like you are on the small side when it comes to feedlots.
What makes you so confident I'm on the small side of feedlots?

LimiMan":g4jof83r said:
Well, prove me wrong. How many then?
I could tell you I have 40,000 or 4,000 it don't matter this is the internet. Besides you will run out of fingers and toes, after that it doesn't matter anyway.

Options, just curious but what was your break even price before BSE when you bought feeder cattle.. Oh wait, it would have been much less than ours then too, as our whole market went in the crapper no matter how well you could manage your herd.. The cow calf produce here has been the bottom of the pyramid for a long time.

I really do not know why you are b@tching at one person probably selling 2-3000 lbs of beef to some friends ..Is he gouging, maybe . But so is the natural source store around us that sell new york steaks for 29.99 a pound and still manage to stay in business.

I still remember a story by a friend of ours who had a very good producing dairy herd. A fellow toured his barn, asked about a cow , he was told she is not for sale, the man said I will pay x amount of dollars for her now. My friend delivered her the next day. I guess everything has a price, it depends on what you want to pay for it.

Maybe I should have phrased this better.

I bet that he has more time and money invested per head than you do. Of course he would have to tell us what he is paying per ton (or hundred weight) for feed. You have more money invested because you have a larger operation. But because you contract your feed and do not buy from a feed store, you pay less per pound. When I buy a ton of feed, I get a 10 cent price break per 50 lb bag. A ton of beef maker feed from a co-op mill costs me $226.00. I bet that I have more money invested per head in feeding out my steers than you do.

One of our daughters does day work for a feed yard. She processes the cattle when they come in.

People are funny (not ha-ha). Some will pay more for meat or poultry if they think that it is free range roaming in a grassy pasture (not raised and finished in a lot or cage on dirt) and they will pay more for all natural beef. The All Natural beef costs more in the stores when I live.

People sell yard or free range eggs for $3.00 a dozen. I can buy 1 1/2 dozen eggs at the grocery store for $1.79. Are those people who sell their yard eggs at a higher price than the grocery store gouging their customers too?

hillsdown":3c3sh85h said:
Options, just curious but what was your break even price before BSE when you bought feeder cattle.. Oh wait, it would have been much less than ours then too, as our whole market went in the crapper no matter how well you could manage your herd.. The cow calf produce here has been the bottom of the pyramid for a long time.

I really do not know why you are b@tching at one person probably selling 2-3000 lbs of beef to some friends ..Is he gouging, maybe . But so is the natural source store around us that sell new york steaks for 29.99 a pound and still manage to stay in business.

I still remember a story by a friend of ours who had a very good producing dairy herd. A fellow toured his barn, asked about a cow , he was told she is not for sale, the man said I will pay x amount of dollars for her now. My friend delivered her the next day. I guess everything has a price, it depends on what you want to pay for it.
Honestly it is the gut fill thing that bothers me the most with srbeef. I'm certain the consumer knew nothing of that. But I also get tired of hearing people cry about the packers and their profits and then those same people turn around and charge the same or even more $ with less expenses. The packer is actually more honest.

chippie":2ajw8m6v said:
People sell yard or free range eggs for $3.00 a dozen. I can buy 1 1/2 dozen eggs at the grocery store for $1.79. Are those people who sell their yard eggs at a higher price than the grocery store gouging their customers too?
Yes I do, crack 1 egg each and fry them in the same pan, feed them to the same person they won't know the difference same goes with beef. I've done the whole taste test with a guy who thought he had the best beef in the world as well. He didn't pick his own.

options":1gv4ysf1 said:
hillsdown":1gv4ysf1 said:

Honestly it is the gut fill thing that bothers me the most with srbeef. I'm certain the consumer knew nothing of that. But I also get tired of hearing people cry about the packers and their profits and then those same people turn around and charge the same with less expenses. The packer is actually more honest.

Well I cannot even break even if I fed steers out myself , the feed bills are just to high now that the local mills have shut down because of the new BSE rules so we just finish one or two for ourselves/family and usually is a Holstein steer that I would do better off with him in my freezer than give him away at the auction. I think we live in a different area though, as I do not anyone around here that would pay those prices in US let alone Canadian.
BUT your argument is very one sided as the cow calf person right now ,,I mean a dedicated cow/calf operator that does the absolute best to ensure that the next buyer gets a top quality animal that they can slaughter or move to the next handler in top condition is at a break even state right now , we are in dire straights to hang on and if it wasn't for the cow/calf guy then you the feedlot guy or the processors would not have a product to make a living from .. ;-)

options":2lb2eyzf said:
Honestly it is the gut fill thing that bothers me the most with srbeef. I'm certain the consumer knew nothing of that. But I also get tired of hearing people cry about the packers and their profits and then those same people turn around and charge the same with less expenses. The packer is actually more honest.

I can understand that too.

If SRBeef fed a bunch of additional hay or feed prior being weighed for purchase, I consider that deceitful and not fair.

We have always charged by hanging weight like the butcher shop does. To me that is fair.

However, the way he does business is his business, and some of his customers may decide that they don't like it. Who knows....

In Oklahoma, you have to sale by the live wt, not hanging wt. Unless you have a retail license.

hillsdown":113hvfbf said:
options":113hvfbf said:
hillsdown":113hvfbf said:

Well I cannot even break even if I fed steers out myself , the feed bills are just to high now that the local mills have shut down because of the new BSE rules so we just finish one or two for ourselves/family and usually is a Holstein steer that I would do better off with him in my freezer than give him away at the auction. I think we live in a different area though, as I do not anyone around here that would pay those prices in US let alone Canadian.
BUT your argument is very one sided as the cow calf person right now ,,I mean a dedicated cow/calf operator that does the absolute best to ensure that the next buyer gets a top quality animal that they can slaughter or move to the next handler in top condition is at a break even state right now , we are in dire straights to hang on and if it wasn't for the cow/calf guy then you the feedlot guy or the processors would not have a product to make a living from .. ;-)
I have said many, many,many times I do not want to see the cow calf man lose money, without them neither of us will survive. Same can be said for the packer without them I will not survive within the last 20 years 3 smaller packers closed thier doors locally. It took $8 right off the market. Now they need to be transported farther with less competitive bidding for the fed cattle. The other thing that really gets me are all the people claiming grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotics, no grain all organic crap is so much better than grain fed beef. Then they complain about the low quality imported beef. Hello it is grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotic, organic cattle. Same thing they are taughting as the absolute best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts