Guns and Children

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
Hey all,

Had a bad thing happen here in my town a week or so ago. A 14 year old kid was shot by his 9 year old brother who was playing around with a shotgun. Fortunately (sp?) the gun was loaded with a smaller load of birdshot and the 14 year old is still alive and expected to survive as of my last update (he was shot at an upward angle with the penetration point starting right about his waistline). But it got me to wondering how you handle the situation of guns and children in the same house. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not advocating getting rid of the guns - I'm simply wondering how you ensure that your children don't play with them. I grew up with guns and I knew it would be my butt if I ever even touched them, much less played around with them until I reached a certain age - even then there were certain things required, but I also know that today is a different story and a different scenario. Thanks for the input.

Our Kids are in thier teens now. but I have always used gun locks. My boys and daughter can all shot and all know to respect Guns. also honor the right to keep and bare arms.

My kids could probably give you a better reply, as they grew up with loaded guns all through the house. Number 1 if they ask to see one I let them, and we shot anytime they wanted so the guns hand no novelity to them and they knew what they were capeable of doing. Always kept the pistols locked up until they were older. They also knew if they ever touched one without permission to give there soul to God as there ass was mine. I think a lot of todays problem goes back to a quote from my Mom the problem in this country is doors, people aren't using the church house doors anymore. When I was growing up no one believed in sparing the rod and I didn't either. Another quote from Dad when I was a young expectant father "Boy when that baby gets here you have a blank sheet of paper what you write on it in the first three years is what you will live with for the rest of your life". You get out of children what you put into them. My daughter in law can't understand why I tear them grandkids up for not minding believes in that time out garbage. Remember I told the oldest grand daughter to do something and her response was no, after the proper application of leather she had changed her mind, her mom threw a fit about the whipping and I asked if a bulldozer had followed them to the house. Her reply was no I said good then the road to house isn't tore up. The amazing part is the oldest grandaughter is PaPaw's girl and a perfect little lady when she stays with Papaw now. Sorry for being so long winded.

Caustic Burno":4j1vssek said:
My kids could probably give you a better reply, as they grew up with loaded guns all through the house. Number 1 if they ask to see one I let them, and we shot anytime they wanted so the guns hand no novelity to them and they knew what they were capeable of doing. Always kept the pistols locked up until they were older. They also knew if they ever touched one without permission to give there soul to God as there ass was mine. I think a lot of todays problem goes back to a quote from my Mom the problem in this country is doors, people aren't using the church house doors anymore. When I was growing up no one believed in sparing the rod and I didn't either. Another quote from Dad when I was a young expectant father "Boy when that baby gets here you have a blank sheet of paper what you write on it in the first three years is what you will live with for the rest of your life". You get out of children what you put into them. My daughter in law can't understand why I tear them grandkids up for not minding believes in that time out garbage. Remember I told the oldest grand daughter to do something and her response was no, after the proper application of leather she had changed her mind, her mom threw a fit about the whipping and I asked if a bulldozer had followed them to the house. Her reply was no I said good then the road to house isn't tore up. The amazing part is the oldest grandaughter is PaPaw's girl and a perfect little lady when she stays with Papaw now. Sorry for being so long winded.

Absolutely not a problem, Caustic. There are a lot of very valid points in your post and I agree 100% with everything you said! I'm particularly tickled about your granddaughter being her PaPaw's girl! :D That is just too cool!

I agree with Caustic about spoiling children.

Just last week, my seven year old daughter walked into my bedroom as I was getting dressed to go work in the pasture. The closet door was open, and she asked what was that small holder up on the top shelf. I told her it was a pistol. I asked her if she wanted to see it, she said no. She then asked me if it was loaded, I said no, but told her that I keep the ammunition seperate. She said very casually, hey dad, that's a good idea, so no one can get hurt.

They see rifles and shotguns all the time because we hunt, but they will not touch any. I just make it a habit to keep the ammunition for all of the guns in a high place away from all of the guns. Ofcourse, the pistol is in case we get a break in, and several full clips are located a few feet away from the pistol.

Had a friend when I was 13 who shot himself. I don't think I could ever forgive myself if my carelessness caused ...... I can't even say it.

If Kids are taught respect at a very young age, you'll see there will rarely be a problem. My kids have been around guns from day one. Never once have they tried to handle one without my permission.Most are locked in gun cabinets, but we always have a few at the "ready". Seems that most of the gun accidents, involving kids result from lack of training and supervision of kids around guns. Anyone that leaves a loaded pistol or any other gun around kids is asking for trouble. Farm kids are a different breed. They may not be street smart like big city ones, but they have a 6th sense about em.

When two of our nieces were small, they would go down in the woods with my wife and me when we went to shoot about once a week. As soon as they were big enough to physically handle a handgun I let them shoot whenever they wanted too. I taught, (maybe "guided" is a better word), them how to handle the gun and it wasn't long before they could shoot a pistol better than most adults. Shooting just became a normal part of their lives and nobody ever made a big deal about it.

When they were old enough to stay by themselves for a while, after school or whatever, their father would leave a loaded gun where they could get it. He told them to never open the door to a stranger or anyone that had no business being there. If anyone tried to get in they were to go to an interior room, lock that door, and stay ready with the gun. If anyone tried to come in that room, drop him. They never had to, but their competence was never in question.

I have a nephew that is a city kid, his mother deplores guns, and his father has no interest in guns. When he was small and would be down for a visit, his mother would not let him go with me when I went to shoot. He was caught sneaking in to play with a shotgun at Granny's. To him guns were the forbidden fruit and therefore awfully tempting. They had to unload and secure guns and ammo from him as he couldn't be trusted. (When I say city kid I mean in attitude, not that there aren't some fine kids who live in cities).

My point is, not all kids are the same nor do they have the same backgrounds. Same with adults. No rules, laws, or policies will ever be able to replace common sense.

Growing up, we were always around guns. My sister and I both learned on a little .410 - learning early made us realize that they were not toys. Also, as previously mentioned in a post, they were not the 'forbidden fruit' but were used for hunting and that was it. We both knew that we'd have our butts wore out if we even THOUGHT about getting out the shotguns when we weren't supposed to.

It just seems like kids that get into trouble with guns see them as toys and not weapons...

Same as the others. Hubby and I grew up with guns. Our kids have been around guns since birth. Took the novelty out of them by letting them handle them when they asked. They all know their life is ours if they even think of touching them without us. Gave the 12 and 14 year olds 12 ga. shotguns this year for Christmas. They know they aren't to use them without permission even though they are their guns. We also taught gun safety when they were toddlers. We didn't allow them to play shooting others with their toy guns. They could play at hunting but they could not play good guy, bad guy. When they complained that they knew the difference between a real gun and a toy gun, we said we didn't care that they did. If you get in the habit of never pointing ANY type of gun at another person, you will never accidentally point the wrong type of gun at a person.

All good info above! Even Caustics :) !

For us there is two issues. We have our children 8, 10 and 15. But we also have some nephews and nieces that are here a lot. I worry the most about the kids visiting the house. So because of that I keep all my guns loaded but locked in a safe. I keep a handgun safe that opens quickly but a code to get to in case of an intruder.

To me communication and experiance are the best help you can do for kids and guns. Spend lots of time teaching them to shoot, get them their own gun (my 8 year old has his hanging on his wall with gun locks on them). Teach them safety above all else. When my little one was 6 if I handed him a B.B. pistol he would hold it safely with his finger outside the trigger ring. Very important a kid is taught the proper way to hold a gun until the point of firing. Always helps to take them out and blow some crap up with shotgun and let them see what will happen to their sibling if they play with them.

All three of my kids own guns, my daughter loves to shoot as much as the boys. Son's got their first guns around 5 or 6 but to this day they have never owned a TOY gun! Never allowed a toy gun on property, guns are for killing something not for toys!

We have had the same concerns with visiting children. Our solution has been to take them out to shoot. Get the fascination out of the way, right away. They get the same severe warnings our children have gotten about not touching without us. They all know if they want to shoot, all they have to do is ask.

As to the toy gun thing - we were going the same route. We just didn't see any need for toy guns. We were teaching already since we own guns. Then outside family gave them toy guns as gifts so we had to change our approach.

getting a kid too an adult is hard work if done properly. parents today are too busy or to sorry to spend the time teaching, when my son got his drivers license it was as bad as teaching him about guns when he was younger. the sad part is kids learn faster than alot of us did.

ALACOWMAN":149n7ueq said:
getting a kid too an adult is hard work if done properly. parents today are too busy or to sorry to spend the time teaching, when my son got his drivers license it was as bad as teaching him about guns when he was younger. the sad part is kids learn faster than alot of us did.

Man truer words have never been spoken. I used to say if I could get the kids grown without being in jail or on drugs were a successful parent.

We also grew up learning to respect weapons,even our air rifles had to be locked away when not being used. The changes brought about during 1975 when terrorist attacks started on farms in our area we had to keep loaded automatic rifles on hand or in the farm vehicles as well as 9mm pistols, dicipline for all children, our own and visitors alike was the top priority.
All the kids are now adults,no drugs etc, daughter finished her army contract and is now doing her nursing degree. Good dicipline develops good adults! I am proud of them all.

My daughters grew up with guns and knew how to use and respect them. My son has his oun weapons and helps with the coyotes when he's home from school. All in the raising can't, remember the last time the boy got spanked...did get his talleywhacker put in the dirt when he was in his early teens when he thought that he could spar with the o'l man...the martial arts lessons really gave him some self confidence; wouldn't try it now, he's 6'3" and 275 but still remembers the lesson.
Any way, admire Caustic, our granddaughters tow the line too when they stay with us and can't stay away. The daughter dosen't interfere. The grandson is learning but still to small to help in the barn. And they know that there is a loaded shotgun in the closet by the back porch and won't go near it. No round in the chamber and the closet is latched. DMc

Caustic Burno":3bvhrpw6 said:
My kids could probably give you a better reply, as they grew up with loaded guns all through the house. Number 1 if they ask to see one I let them, and we shot anytime they wanted so the guns hand no novelity to them and they knew what they were capeable of doing. Always kept the pistols locked up until they were older. They also knew if they ever touched one without permission to give there soul to God as there ass was mine.

Bingo! This be a BIG part of the solution right here.

george

Caustic Burno":1o2rx3mr said:

Caustic, you hit the nail on the head about letting the kids look at / handle the guns ( when you were with them ) whenever they wanted to. Kids are very curious and if they think you're trying to keep something a secret then they feel like they've got to sneak around to look at things. My children were taught that every gun is loaded at all times until it's been checked / verified to be unloaded.

Also, did you ever haul any hay up in Arkansas? I had a older man tell me and my buddies one day as it was clouding up to rain about the same thing. "Boys, if this hay gets wet you'd better give your hearts to God cause your butts are mine!"

;-)

Been years since I was in Arkansas, looks like I will be headed that way soon though that half Comanche and Bulldog I am married to wants a vacation in Branson. Its drive or be scalped I would rather go to a barn burning or rat killin.

Caustic Burno":2tudovzm said:
Been years since I was in Arkansas, looks like I will be headed that way soon though that half Comanche and Bulldog I am married to wants a vacation in Branson. Its drive or be scalped I would rather go to a barn burning or rat killin.
If you want to give her a real vacation, you ought to stay home and let her go. I can't imagine anything much worse than being cooped up with your ass in a car all the way through Arkansas.

Latest posts