Guess her weight

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":3cl65trv said:
Funny thing is my original thoughts were that she was about 1750-1800 lbs but I figured I would be laughed out of the forum...HA HA.
So I scaled back my guess to better fit the thoughts of what people were used to looking at here. Your cattle are bigger and heavier there than most I have seen anywhere else. They also have more real muscle than many here. I can remember reading some of the weights that you had posted and 2000 lbs is somewhat common for you isn't it?
Not that common for us personally. We don't weigh cows until they aren't culled, so don't know how much they weigh. This old lady weighed 1629lbs. Pretty surprising for us too. She should have weighed ~1750lbs or more when she was in better condition than this year.
We do have some taller, longer and more round shaped cows, which weigh more than her. And there are quite a few of them.At least one probably should be near 2000lbs. But I believe that most of the herd is around 1400-1500lbs, mostly because that there are many young cows, like 1st-3rd calvers.
This cow was the 4th we bought when we started building our cows herd. Now the eldest cow left is 10 years old.

lithuanian farmer":2fltih06 said:
Just want to know if anybody will be able to guess this cow's weight. :)
She's 14 years old, Hereford x dairy. Not very tall. I'm ~5'6'' and her withers would be around my chest.

DSCF3080.jpg
She with this year calf. Calf weaned at 480lbs at almost 6 months.
1629 lbs very surprising that she was 3.5 times bigger than the calf in the picture!
Calf not yet weaned.... so estimated weight of calf at time of picture 465 lbs x 3.5 = 1628 lbs

Her 480 lb weaned calf was 29.5% of her body weight..... I thought she was a better cow than that.

I would not have guessed she weighed that much.

Working cattle last May, best estimate from my crew for Steamroller was 2300 lbs, heavy bred. In August the vet put her at 2000 lbs when he treated her for an infection. Sold her last week and she was practically anorexic, down to 1845.

Son of Butch":1add3fa1 said:
It takes a big cow to weigh a ton. :)
5 years ago, 8 months bred, resembles a beached whale.

Last summer, 8 months bred, obviously can't see much of her but you can still zero in on her enormous baboon butt. Yes, she's standing. No, she's not stuck.

TCRanch":2tk6fwvz said:
Son of Butch":2tk6fwvz said:

Last summer, 8 months bred, obviously can't see much of her but you can still zero in on her enormous baboon butt. Yes, she's standing. No, she's not stuck.
She looks quite fat! :)
Our biggest cows are much leaner, but they are big. Most are Charolais x, one is Angusx, but still pretty lean.
Our huge Angusx cow. Video from two years ago, when she had 160lbs bull calf.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZjceNXWx_6U[/youtube]
009_10.jpg

Other two big girls are half sisters, both 3/4Char, 1/4dairy.
012_7.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

And one CharxLimoxdairy cow. She'll have her 2nd calf in December.
20368863_1367406570016044_5500552457212369824_o.jpg

Son of Butch":1g8up65s said:
lithuanian farmer":1g8up65s said:
Just want to know if anybody will be able to guess this cow's weight. :)
She's 14 years old, Hereford x dairy. Not very tall. I'm ~5'6'' and her withers would be around my chest.

DSCF3080.jpg
She with this year calf. Calf weaned at 480lbs at almost 6 months.
1629 lbs very surprising that she was 3.5 times bigger than the calf in the picture!
Calf not yet weaned.... so estimated weight of calf at time of picture 465 lbs x 3.5 = 1628 lbs

Her 480 lb weaned calf was 29.5% of her body weight..... I thought she was a better cow than that.
She had mastitis this year and lost one teat. Plus old age and that shows in the calf. She never weaned very huge calves, but they had a good growth after weaning. Hoping to keep her last daughter to keep the line for some time, due to the calving ability. The cow never had any calving problems, had many Charolaisx calves, plus excellent character. She already have payed her price during these years.

Here's my biggest cow, picture is about 5 years old when she was about 9 years old..

I figure she's around 1800 or so.. Her sister was a huge cow as well.

lithuanian farmer":aig469rb said:
TCRanch":aig469rb said:
Son of Butch":aig469rb said:

She looks quite fat! :)
Our biggest cows are much leaner, but they are big. Most are Charolais x, one is Angusx, but still pretty lean.
Our huge Angusx cow. Video from two years ago, when she had 160lbs bull calf.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZjceNXWx_6U[/youtube]
009_10.jpg

Other two big girls are half sisters, both 3/4Char, 1/4dairy.
012_7.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

And one CharxLimoxdairy cow. She'll have her 2nd calf in December.
20368863_1367406570016044_5500552457212369824_o.jpg

That video is worth watching. Thanks.

ALACOWMAN":upjjgn7a said:
What is the average weight of your calves??
~85-95lbs, usually in a range of 75-120lbs. But we mostly have calves around 90lbs. Autumn calving heifers now had calves from ~77 up to ~92lbs what is really good for them. Less than 88lbs calf from a cow is considered as already pretty small by us. 90-100lbs calf from a cow is a normal calf and is desirable.
But we have some cows which have bigger weights no matter what bull you use. For example, lets take three half sisters from the same dam. From their 8 calves, only two were smaller than 110lbs. The old herefordx cow, I have started this thread with, rarely had calves lower than 110lbs too. Another pretty small, ~1300lbs, cow had the first calf at 66lbs, the second- heifer ~90-95lbs, the last two bulls at ~104lbs. Have one Angusxdairy cow which often throws calves ~100+lbs, especially bull calves.

ALACOWMAN":2tb0lzvs said:
I'm sorry, meant to ask weaning weights....
Can't tell much. This year is the first one we started weighing weanlings.
*The first group was weaned at the end of August. Age was from 6months up to 7 months and 10 days.
Average weight of bulls was 586lbs, biggest- 685.5lbs.Daily weigh gain since birth 2.32lbs/day, biggest- 2.66lbs/day.
Heifers average- 514lbs, biggest- 578lbs. Daily weigh gain since birth ~2.09lbs/day, biggest- 2.34lbs/day. Have weighed heifers 15 days after weaning- daily weight gain since weaning averaged at 2.38lbs/day
*The second group was weaned four days ago. Age was from 5 months 19 days up to 7months.
Average weight of bulls 573lbs, biggest- 666lbs. Daily weight gain since birth 2.5lbs/day, biggest- 2.76lbs/day.
Heifers average- 539lbs, biggest- 599.5lbs. Daily weight gain since birth- 2.18lbs/day, biggest- 2.38lbsday.

The first weighing, so just looking what we have at the moment.

Latest posts