Guard dog ????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I put this here instead of dog and cat because I am a beginner when it comes to guard dogs.

After having to put down our 15 year old Scotch Collie last September the coyotes have been horrendous around here, not to mention the 2 legged unwanted visitors that now come onto our land without permission. :roll:

So I have been looking at getting another protector for calving and for the yard .I found a 2 year old neutered Pyrenees 1/4 Anatolian cross for sale. I like the idea that he is older as am not in any hurry to train a pup especially with Nikki's surgery coming up again . They said they are selling him because he spends too much time at the neighbors playing with their dogs than staying home and working. That part worries me ,but my neighbors are 1/2 a mile away and their dogs are house dogs. However I sure would hate to adopt him only to find that he is not doing what he should be .

Just looking for iunput , should I chance it and adopt him or does he sound like more of a headache and wouldn't be worth all the trouble.

I am familiar with Pyrenese but not the Anatolians, would like feed back on that breed or the crosses please .

He is stricly outdoors, even in winter , supposed to be great with dogs, cats ,children and livestock.

Thank you :tiphat:

Pyrenees do have a large territory and tend to roam some distance..lay around a lot during the day..work at night. I had one that was 1/2 Anatolian. Couldn't tell a bit of difference. Even looked pure pyrenees. They do tend to adopt about every animal on the place except strange ones and then more times than usual will just show their dominance rather than attack. They seem to sense what is a danger and what is not. Don't know what to advise you but me...I'd take the chance with her.

Thanks for all of the input TB :D

I am so torn now, I called our local kill shelter by chance that they would have a cattle guard rescue in and they are nursing back to health a near starved abandoned 1-2 year old great pyrenees . She is on the mend and will be ready to adopt soon. I don't know what to do, Bo was a rescue and more than likely saved my life when that Holstein bull penned me. If she is like him then I will have the best dog ever ,but she could be very timid and not want to work too. :? The other thing is that by the time I pay the fees she will be 4 times the price of the male X dog . Don't know what to do .. I should rescue ,but then :help:

I should never have called , darn it all ... :hide:

First dog has far less variables than the shelter dog.too many what ifs on the shelter dog

HD you are truelly in a rock an hard place considering those dogs.heres my thoughts for what they are worth.if the dogs was bred an came from working stock,then they both should have the instinct to guard your livestock no matter how they was treated.now they may not trust or care for you an thats ok,as long as they let you do your job with an around the cattle.

HD I dont' think Pyrenees are the type that would get between you and a cow. They'd be over in the shade watching.

Thanks guys . :wave:

Still not sure what to do , heck maybe Mr HD will say no way to another dog anyways . :( I can understand as that will be 4 dogs(we are getting another BC pup from Niks breeders) and a cat. BUT at least the new one will be outdoors ,hopefully , as you know how that works around here . Next thing ya know I will have a 120lb lap dog. :lol: :help:

hillsdown":2i3inurx said:
Thanks guys . :wave:

Still not sure what to do , heck maybe Mr HD will say no way to another dog anyways . :( I can understand as that will be 4 dogs(we are getting another BC pup from Niks breeders) and a cat. BUT at least the new one will be outdoors ,hopefully , as you know how that works around here . Next thing ya know I will have a 120lb lap dog. :lol: :help:
She will adopt you..lolol...and then lick you to death.

If it makes you feel better hd, about 3 years ago the wife got a hankerin for a new dog. I said no, we got enough going on. About 4 weeks later she's still hounding me, so I give in but stipulate it must be a small one. So she goes to the shelter and picks a mutt out. " Don't worry, it'll be small." She says.
Fast forward to today and we got this useless mutt that won't listen, doesn't do anything and weighs about 60 lbs..its a bulldog x hound.....lazy sob that won't listen for nuttin...

MO_cows":2z9fev3g said:
Sounds to me like you need both of those dogs. Seriously, don't most people keep a couple of LGD's and they work together?

Geesh MO you really are a shytt disturber :lol: :p Are you trying to get me divorced ?????? :lol2:

Hook that reminds me of an elderly couple who were our neighbors when I was little. This was the city and they wanted a dog so they adopted one from the local rescues and were told it would be a small dog. Well,,, he grew up to be a teeny tiny lap dog topping the scales at 97 lbs .. :lol: He was great for them though, they walked him everyday and when Mr Fowler died in his sleep from a massive heart attack, old Nipper died 3 days later at the young age of 16 . Somethings are just meant to be ,that dog gave them a new outlook on life .

Well, this ones fixing to have a new outlook on death if he doesn't start listening to commands...he makes a beagle look like a walk in the park as far as listening goes

hooknline":2ixt9jj0 said:
If it makes you feel better hd, about 3 years ago the wife got a hankerin for a new dog. I said no, we got enough going on. About 4 weeks later she's still hounding me, so I give in but stipulate it must be a small one. So she goes to the shelter and picks a mutt out. " Don't worry, it'll be small." She says.
Fast forward to today and we got this useless mutt that won't listen, doesn't do anything and weighs about 60 lbs..its a bulldog x hound.....[lazy sob that won't listen for nuttin.]..
If neither one listens, they both need to go. I had one like that so I divorced her.

HD, we have 1/2 pyranees 1/2 anatolian guard dogs for our cattle. I'll never have another pure pyranees - won't stay home! These crosses, however STAY with the cows and especially the new moms when ready to calve...guess they sense the birth is going to happen. We were given a pair when ther mom weaned them at 4 weeks ( anatolians tend to wean really early) they were tiny but already tried to guard the baby calves. Anyway, they do work better in pairs as this gives them company and a playmate. They take turns coming in to eat and back out they go, never leaving the cows unguarded. Hubby saw them kill huge racoons. Hunters dogs no longer come across our property and neither do the deer -lol.
Not sure if this info helps, good luck with your choice.
Valerie

interesting read as the wife and I have been discussing another dog.

We have had Aussies for near thirty years.....
the two we have now are lovers not fighters.....they don't even bark at strange vehicles....
They bark to let the wife know when I am coming home. (The dogs love Me)

Some of the old aussies we had were pretty territorial and one red we had was extremely protective of the wife....

We have looked at and read about Great Pyrenes and Catahoulas....

Other than my concern about coyotes I am inclined now just to go with another aussie.

Roadapple":32xt4srp said:
hooknline":32xt4srp said:
Fast forward to today and we got this useless mutt that won't listen, doesn't do anything and weighs about 60 lbs..its a bulldog x hound.....[lazy sob that won't listen for nuttin.]..
If neither one listens, they both need to go. I had one like that so I divorced her.
The wife is a keeper.just loves animals.

We have a pure bred Great Pyrenees male. He is a good dog and does his job. Besides guarding our stock, he guards the neighbors too.
We have had him since he was a pup.

I like the Anatolians too. Guard dogs do work well in pairs. I have sheep breeder friends who use two dogs in the same pasture.

One thing though, a dog that has been a pet, does not always make a good guardian.

Latest posts