Guard rail or go bob fortress fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I still don't get why people like the bud box system. I understand that it works great MOST of the time. What do you do when they don't want to oblige you & willingly go into the opening?

I have a gate that i can swing like tub or sweep gate for the ones who dont cooperate

The guardrail is 8in apart. Do you think i need to put something between to keep them from sticking there heads between them or will it be ok?

Ky cowboy said:

The guardrail is 8in apart. Do you think i need to put something between to keep them from sticking there heads between them or will it be ok?

Anywhere we've put up guardrail we left a 6" gap and have been ok. At 8" I'd be thinking about putting something there.

Maybe I'm inclined to overkill, but I would have at least one more post in between the ones you already have, possibly 2.

The only thing I would do is run something over the top of the bottom rail. If one does manage to stick a leg out over the rail the guard rail can be pretty hard on them. Most anything would work, 2x4, piece of pipe, etc. Just to keep a leg from running down the top of that rail.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ky cowboy said:

I added wire panel fencing to my wood corral for that reason. Are you planning on bringing in rock and limestone for your base?
Later as time and money permit. Itll be another 6 months before cattle are on this farm. The picture was taken after 3 inches of rain, it has a slight slope that allows it to drain pretty good.

Larzbarz said:
Ky cowboy said:

Anywhere we've put up guardrail we left a 6" gap and have been ok. At 8" I'd be thinking about putting something there.

Maybe I'm inclined to overkill, but I would have at least one more post in between the ones you already have, possibly 2.
The post are on 12 1/2 foot centers. With 40 inches of concrete around them. I dont think ill need anything in between but might have to add later. Im thinking about getting some sucker rod and running it between each row and on the top

Ky cowboy said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ky cowboy said:

I added wire panel fencing to my wood corral for that reason. Are you planning on bringing in rock and limestone for your base?
Later as time and money permit. Itll be another 6 months before cattle are on this farm. The picture was taken after 3 inches of rain, it has a slight slope that allows it to drain pretty good.

It'll be well worth It when the time comes.

My guardrail paddocks have been in place for about 10 years now. They are composed of 2 rails, with about 18 inch spacing from ground to bottom rail and about 12 inch from bottom rail to top rail, with 8 foot spacing between 4x4 posts. For my purposes, this set-up works great. I prefer the larger spacing between rails. In my case, we run very few cows/calves, and the few I have, have never attempted to escape, so no issue there. In fact, because these are the lots where I winter some of my bulls, the only thing escaping between the rails is likely to be myself! I have never had to, but knock on wood, if I needed to make a hasty exit from the pen, no climbing is needed.

I have had a group of bulls play fighting that rolled into the fence and busted 3 posts. Because of the continuous rail, though, it stayed somewhat up-right and was easily fixed.

The only thing I have found I do not like about the guard rail is that I always want to put up more!!!

I still don't get why people like the bud box system.
Me neither unless they're having to constantly deal with cattle who have a history of being poorly handled. I've leased numerous places over the years that fell well short of mark of being ideal and some a supposed night mare. Given a bit of patience & tincture of time adults & calves do their best to be cooperate.
Long after Willam's gained notoriety he worked for a number of ranches in Northern CA specifically Humboldt County where I ranched for 40 years.
People considered him the 2nd coming of god. Not coming from a ranching history my thought was Geez its just common sense.

Latest posts