Growth ain't what it's cracked up to be

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I live in the fastest growing region of the USA. Within 30 to 60 miles of me are Georgetown, Pflugerville, Round Rock, Austin, Buda, Kyle, San Marcos, New Braunfels, Seguin, Bastrop.
All the Politicians are pushing for growth, let me tell you growth ain't what it's cracked up to be.
We are running out of water, the cities mentioned are now looking at our county to get their water from our underground reservoirs . The roads are not made for the traffic that is occurring. I was driving in the rural area on I-10 in bumper to bumper traffic 80 mph and cars were passing me like I was standing still even going around me on the shoulder.
One to ten acre tracks are selling from $10000 to $20000 an acre, raw land 100 acres up $4500 to $6500 . Developers are buying all land that can be subdivided . Developers rape the land , get their money and run, leave it to the tax payers to fix all the problems they have created. They put a subdivision on a one lane gravel road and pay nothing to upgrade the road. :2cents:

I would suggest you find a nice place around Harrison Arkansas. But that would be promoting growth in that area, and its to close to home for me to do that.

One of the main reasons we chose Oklahoma over Texas when we moved is that as fast as Texas is growing we figured we'd be moving into the next California.

Central Tx will be California in 30 years if the growth pattern keeps going as it has in the last 30 years.

I wouldn't want it like that, but where I'm at we've been going backwards for years. The coal mines downsizing, oil and farm booms have cooled off, and in the last ten years two of the three major factories in the area have closed up and the remaining one declared bankruptcy this summer, although they are still hiring. Across the Wabash River in SW Indiana they never seem to stop growing their economy. Illinois shrinks theirs.

There's a small town out n West Texas. Candeleria, Texas. You should have plenty of fresh air and privacy there. But I know what you mean. Those hundreds of thousands of acres of cotton fields are now subdivisions.

cowboy43":3szj0gmx said:
I live in the fastest growing region of the USA. Within 30 to 60 miles of me are Georgetown, Pflugerville, Round Rock, Austin, Buda, Kyle, San Marcos, New Braunfels, Seguin, Bastrop.
All the Politicians are pushing for growth, let me tell you growth ain't what it's cracked up to be.
We are running out of water, the cities mentioned are now looking at our county to get their water from our underground reservoirs . The roads are not made for the traffic that is occurring. I was driving in the rural area on I-10 in bumper to bumper traffic 80 mph and cars were passing me like I was standing still even going around me on the shoulder.
One to ten acre tracks are selling from $10000 to $20000 an acre, raw land 100 acres up $4500 to $6500 . Developers are buying all land that can be subdivided . Developers rape the land , get their money and run, leave it to the tax payers to fix all the problems they have created. They put a subdivision on a one lane gravel road and pay nothing to upgrade the road. :2cents:

Nebraska not like that that's why I love it up here unless u in Lincoln Omaha area but not near that bad there. Hot and humid in the summer though number of days like TX but not as often or sustained and then of course much colder in winter! I guess you can tell I am HATING our heat wave right now - it makes me cranky and short with people!

That sounds awful - all the people in addition to the heat and humidity - sounds like hell on earth. And way too expensive for cattle.

I bet all the subdivision houses are packed in, zero lot lines always hate that, would never buy one of those houses.

Not quite as bad around here in ne oklahoma but I know what you mean cowboy43. When the old man at Anderson ranch died I'm pretty sure the widow called the developers then the ambulance. Buck Holmes had a decent heard of brimmers on whats now a golf course. All the ground my grandpa bailed when I was a kid is covered in mansions. All happened in the last 10 years within 8 miles of my place.

All over--up north and south of the border. Lots of them have finally figured out that paying a state income tax ain't a good thing.

governments believe they need population growth to be successful politically. Because population growth in recent years has underpinned economic growth, which is in turn a measure of political success.

Some states will be overrun with Hispanics by 2050 that will make up 30% of the population. People are fleeing Mexifornia to states like Texas and Oklahoma to come in and ruin your state into a liberal cesspool like they did with California.

Jackson":1jfyyjp2 said:
governments believe they need population growth to be successful politically. Because population growth in recent years has underpinned economic growth, which is in turn a measure of political success.

Some states will be overrun with Hispanics by 2050 that will make up 30% of the population. People are fleeing Mexifornia to states like Texas and Oklahoma to come in and ruin your state into a liberal cesspool like they did with California.

Who are the politicians in Austin that are going all over the country and recruiting firms to move to Texas.

Jackson":35hozfq7 said:
People are fleeing Mexifornia to states like Texas and Oklahoma to come in and ruin your state into a liberal cesspool like they did with California.
Actually, the liberals are quite happy with the direction of California and are staying there. It's what's left of the conservatives that are getting out.

When we lived in Austin (technically, Volente '03 - '09) it was referred to as a mini Silicon Valley because of all the tech start ups & Venture Capital firms. We had a well & water was already becoming a problem for the surrounding areas, primarily because of the massive development & drought. The housing market crashed in '07 and people from CA were flocking to TX to capitalize on all the foreclosures & houses on the market that were greatly reduced. And as Greybeard pointed out, no state income tax is a huge incentive.

Here. we are close to Lexington, so several folks live here and work in Lexington. A lot of farm land has been sold off in lots for houses. It creates a headache for farmers, when they have neighbors on adjoining properties that complain about farm activities. The hilly, curvy roads are narrow and dangerous to start with and when more houses are built that many more people are driving them.

My SIL lives in Coopland, near Austin, she has a small 100 acre place. Its a nice area when they get rain..Flat, no trees though. Her place is in a movie. Gilberts Grapes, her house is in a scene when they are driving a car by it. Filmed it in that area..
We bought in when land went per acre for what people today pay for a nice meal out today. Our area is still considered cheap at 2000 an acre and its being bought up like crazy. But, population in our towns are going down. For us, its great. We have lush forests, soft fields of grass and no people...........oh and we're still Texans.

cowgirl8":2zjb0yqa said:
My SIL lives in Coopland, near Austin, she has a small 100 acre place. Its a nice area when they get rain..Flat, no trees though. Her place is in a movie. Gilberts Grapes, her house is in a scene when they are driving a car by it. Filmed it in that area..
We bought in when land went per acre for what people today pay for a nice meal out today. Our area is still considered cheap at 2000 an acre and its being bought up like crazy. But, population in our towns are going down. For us, its great. We have lush forests, soft fields of grass and no people...........oh and we're still Texans.

Had a friend operated a dairy just north of Austin.....sold it about 15 years ago for a bit over $6 million.....died about 3 months later.

TexasBred":1spyzb7o said:
cowgirl8":1spyzb7o said:

Had a friend operated a dairy just north of Austin.....sold it about 15 years ago for a bit over $6 million.....died about 3 months later.
So sad, and since he was a dairyman, he worked for his retirement tenfold... How did he die? I hope it was test driving his Lamborghini at 165 mph with the wind in his hair... But being a hard worker he probably ratholed that money for improvements...

Latest posts