Growing out calves to start up?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":2sj8chnl said:
What is it that sets your calves apart from the others? Is the quality that high or your reputation that good?

Both with the order buyers.
Makes a difference when they actually know you and the type you raise.
I haul for people as well.
The ones that look like this, I was hauling for a fellow and I bought after she got tagged at the barn
I liked her so well I called him and ask what he wanted. She never got off the trailer.

She is another one

Picked this girl up at a 4H auction paid to much for her.
But this is the type they want.

Hook when you haul a trailer load of calves like these it makes a difference.

It also helps when sold bulls like this for years.

The main thing was my philosophy was I knew I was never going to be a big time operation
so I had to run better cattle to get the premium.

denvermartinfarms":2tou60on said:
I've always said this, but I have got to say it again. CB, I could look at your cattle all day!

Thanks.
Denver I was never no big time Cattleman most momma cows I ever ran was 37 until health forced me to downsize.
There is 16 standing in the pasture now and I will pick up some opportunity girls and dump this fall.
With that many cattle in my little mind the only way to make it work was a better cow for this market.

Caustic Burno":myi1dqwu said:
denvermartinfarms":myi1dqwu said:
I've always said this, but I have got to say it again. CB, I could look at your cattle all day!

Thanks.
Denver I was never no big time Cattleman most momma cows I ever ran was 37 until health forced me to downsize.
There is 16 standing in the pasture now and I will pick up some opportunity girls and dump this fall.
With that many cattle in my little mind the only way to make it work was a better cow for this market.
A BWF steer that looks like that heifer you have will top the market here, I've got a bunch right now from Hereford cows and brangus bulls.

Caustic Burno":w2jj9yjl said:
Denver that is a hard combination to beat super baldies in the ring or as replacements in this area.

Grass conversion genetics. That's in the back of everyone's mind when they see them come thru.

backhoeboogie":3i47acpl said:
Caustic Burno":3i47acpl said:
Denver that is a hard combination to beat super baldies in the ring or as replacements in this area.

Grass conversion genetics. That's in the back of everyone's mind when they see them come thru.

That is almost right it is grass to cash conversion on my grass.

CB...we got in us a big argument about Longhorns and I may have said some things that shouldnt of been said so I apologize to you. Even though you put down the type of cattle I run i'm not here to make enemies...I'm here to learn. Tell me this however...you said anything that has Longhorn influence that runs through your barn gets docked....tell me how you think this calf would do....

This is an almost 7 month old Charolais Longhorn cross steer calf that was brought through the winter by its momma. Now as y'all can see you can't tell their is any Longhorn influence in this calf except for the little horns that it has. This calf isn't out of any of our high dollar bulls however. I would say that eyeballing him in the field that he weighs 400-450. He has another month to grow on this good grass so he should get even bigger. How would he do in your area?

Big Cheese":3qcvwje8 said:
CB...we got in us a big argument about Longhorns and I may have said some things that shouldnt of been said so I apologize to you. Even though you put down the type of cattle I run i'm not here to make enemies...I'm here to learn. Tell me this however...you said anything that has Longhorn influence that runs through your barn gets docked....tell me how you think this calf would do....

This is an almost 7 month old Charolais Longhorn cross steer calf that was brought through the winter by its momma. Now as y'all can see you can't tell their is any Longhorn influence in this calf except for the little horns that it has. This calf isn't out of any of our high dollar bulls however. I would say that eyeballing him in the field that he weighs 400-450. He has another month to grow on this good grass so he should get even bigger. How would he do in your area?

Where you thought I was picking I wasn't.
I don't dislike any breed of cattle just prefer some over others.
It is like the little boy that kissed the calf in the ass everyone to their own taste.
What I don't like is being skinned at the barn.
As I stated earlier I was a small time seedstock producer and operation I had to run better genetics on better grass
and establish a name for doing so to draw premium money.
If I had pictures of some of my cows from forty almost fifty years ago you would laugh and I wouldn't let them on my place.

I have a few simple principles.
Ruthless culling for improvement of the herd.
I am a grass farmer.
Buy the best bull you can and put on the best genetics you can.
A bad cow hurts a bad bull is a disaster.
What does my customer want.

The calf would be middle of the pack at our sale head shape and horns would hurt him.

I understand what you are trying to do and that is reap the benefits of LH cattle.
Same thing I am doing with Brahman. You just have to cover it up.
Put some butt on those calves, butt's and gut's is what sells.
Now you get to a 3/4 cow throwing a 1/8 calf out of the right bull and you will laugh
and smile all the way to the bank.
Go look on the bull thread at that front bull calf he was about 4 or 4 1/2 months old that is the kind of butt
you want on your calfs.

The part I left out is this is not a speed race but a journey.
Anytime I saw a place that I thought had better cattle than I did.
I always asked what is he doing better than me?
When I was selling bulls there was only one producer in the state I considered better than mine.
I couldn't beat them so I joined them and started infusing their genetics.

I know the horns would hurt him but what is wrong with the shape of his head?

I agree this is a journey and no matter what type of cattle you run its always going to be a journey for you.

Big Cheese":89e2tyvd said:
I know the horns would hurt him but what is wrong with the shape of his head?

I agree this is a journey and no matter what type of cattle you run its always going to be a journey for you.

Might just be the picture looks to have red tipped ears dead giveaway with those horns
there is LH in the woodpile. I couldn't tell by the pic about his butt so I didn't comment on it.
As far as the shape it looks LH to me just as Brimmers have their own shape as well .
Go look close at the British on Continentals they don't resemble a LH or a Brahman.
As Highgrit said you can't beat a man at his own game and you are playing the order buyers game.

Big Cheese":q8x63tg3 said:
Besides the horns the rest of him is all white. He looks like a Charolais cross calf with some little horns. No red anywhere.

My brain works slow I edited after I posted.

The calfs shape and horn set tell me LH

Ok from the buyer seat on this calf he will see Brahman head and ear shape that has been trimmed
he will also see Charolais in the diluted yellow and Hereford markings coming to the conclusion
she is a 3 way cross and is.

Run these two girls through and they are 1/2 sisters both 1/4 Brahman and he will see a
Braford and a Hereford. The Braford looking one will out sale here sister by 500 dollars or more on back to the farm.

Hope that makes sense.

I understand what your saying and see everything that your talking about. This is calf isn't out of any of our three bulls. I don't know what his sire looked like so I cant really compare him to our other Charolais Longhorn calves but ill have better results in about 4 months.

BC I agree with CB I still see the LH in him and any experienced buyer will see it too. Just a friendly piece of advice scoop those horns and burn them it will make a difference in the sale barn.

We don't get docked enough for horns to fool with dehorning for the messy process...only about 10 to 15 cents. Man i'm a young guy so I'm not as experienced as most of y'all but I just don't know how y'all are seeing the LH influence besides the little horns....and a lot of Charolais calves have those type of horns from time to time.

Please explain what you guys would think if you saw this guy come through the ring?

Latest posts