Growed up fences

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just bought some property in my area. The fences have alot under growth in them but they are in good shape. What do most of you use to kill the growth under the fences that want hurt the cattle. I did use Diesel fuel but with the EPA regulations I had rather not.Thanks in advance.

bobby22":129jocom said:
Thought roundup wasn't good for cattle.

If used improperly, anything could be bad for cattle or the environment.

What are you trying to kill? Indentify this first. Many of the "weeds" will be taken care of with grazing. After which identify what you want to get rid of and then use the proper herbicide to do the job. If you don't know the weeds, get your extension agent to the farm he'll be more than happy to give a prescription.

bobby22":2c4hupvc said:
Saw Briars

Use Remedy and water for saw briars. It won;t have any affeft on the grasses, only the woody type of stuff.

dun

Bobby, what kind of growth do you have under the fences? I spent last year grubbing and rebuilding several hundreds of feet. Hard work, if you have saplings get a chain saw (watch out of old wire), a bladed weedeater, a hand pruner and go to work. Now that mine is cleared, I bushhog and lawn mow to keep the cattle away from the fence, and use roundup directly under the fence to keep the bad stuff at bay.

Now that it is spring, it is time to 'get to it'.

Personally, I like Garlon aka Remedy. By controlling the woody species and not hurting the grass you are less likely to get regrowth from seeds etc if you leave a cover under the fence. Always remember, "nature hates a vacuum" and it will put something in the bare area if you make it that way. As for soil sterilants, I'm squeemish since some of the fences I have are line fences and I don't think some of the neighbors would appreciate me sterilizing their soil.

Basically any non-selective herbicide is what I use on my fence lines. Whatever has the best price at the time.

Spike 20DF or Spike 80 mixed with water.

Spray out of a pump sprayer, solid stream, down the middle of your fenceline. Do so just before a rain. It will kill everything with roots deeper than a few inches. Grass will recover quickly. Brush and trees may have some regrowth, but will eventually die. Length of effectiveness - estimate of 10 years.

They use this stuff to keep brush out of utility rights of way.

Latest posts