Grieving momma cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Question for CFCL.. Did you see the calf suck? What was the mothers reaction?
If the calf sucked was its tail going around or just hanging down? Tail movement is a good indicator
the calf is getting nourishment. Also were the mothers nipples exceedingly large?
I wasn't there so I am flying blind here. That it survived 5 days my thinking is that it starved to death,,,,
This not to come down on you as you did say you were fairly new to raising cattle. Your success will improve as
you learn to 'read' your cattle. That does not necessarily mean interacting with them but observing how they
interact with each other. The more you understand them the more confident you will become in your ability to
succeed in the business. Stay the course and you will do just fine. A word of advice, Never pet the bull!

I thought my wife was crazy for wanting to leave the cow and dead calf together to grieve... until the last one i took away... the cow destroyed three gates to get back to the field that she'd 'left' her calf in. My wife is much smarter than me, and I should have followed her advice. Ten years out now... if one dies, I leave 'em be until she abandons it on her own.

Latest posts