green water tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

wildsawmill

Reaction score
i got a 500 gal water tank for 3 small calves & it gets green looking so i put 5 gold fish in it last time i changed the water well its still turing green so what do you put in the water to fix this ? that wont kill the fish.
i hate to dump near 500 gal s just to wash it out.

I wouldnt think three fish would be enough to make a difference to begin with. Better off using some bleach once a week.

If you can locate some copper grounding wire put 6 to 8 ft wound in a spiral in the bottom of the tank. Limiting the amount of sun exposure of the water will also help.

a 500 gallon tank is too big for 3 small calves.they cant drink it fast enough and the longer it sits the greener its gonna get.plus if they r very small they can only drink it down to about half.better off getting a shorter and smaller tank.i got a short one for my babies but it never fails that the mommas drink it down first.

Unless they are pritty good size fish they won't control all the algae in five hundred gallons but they will keep the mosquitto larve out of it.

wildsawmill":2z4dt30c said:
i got a 500 gal water tank for 3 small calves & it gets green looking so i put 5 gold fish in it last time i changed the water well its still turing green so what do you put in the water to fix this ?

If possible, change out the 500 gal water tank for a smaller tub or tank. That will allow the calves to drink enough water to change it over and eliminate the problem of stagnant water and algae. If that isn't possible, add bleach at the rate of I believe is 3 oz's/500 gals. Google it, and you can confirm that that is the correct amount.

Go buy a floating swimming pool chlorinater and some chlorinating tablets and throw it in the tank. The green will go away in a couple of days.

We use them in all our tanks large and small.

Check with Vet Supply. Last year, in their catalog, they had an article about using Barley straw, in a burlap bag, in the tank. Don't remember all the details, but had something about the Lignans in the straw keeping it clear.

That barley straw works real good. It's a little bag about 4" x 10" or so. You can tie some weight to it to make it sink. Seems to work for a couple months.

Beach will work and I use lime about a coffee can or maybe 2 and it will make it clear and clean

As has been said chlorine bleach, just a little bit each week will solve the problem, but if you're dead set on using fish, get a half dozen of the little tank cleaner sucker fish, as well as a dozen of the large goldfish.

Myself? I use the chlorine tablets in a float as has been described above also.

Best of luck to you.

wildsawmill":27ozyuil said:
so do you guys that use fish ever feed the fish or need to pump air in the tank
We used fish a long time ago. Never worried about them because the coons would clean them out regularly, but the point of having them in there is to eat the crud and bugs. The water going in to refill it should oxygenate it

Latest posts