Green as the grass

Help Support CattleToday:

If I wanted polled herefords cows for my herd would a guy be better off buying a angus bull or paying to have one on his place when it was needed ? If a bull was purchased at what age can he start to breed and a cow can be bred as soon as she goes into her first cycle,correct?

If I wanted polled herefords cows for my herd would a guy be better off buying a angus bull or paying to have one on his place when it was needed ? If a bull was purchased at what age can he start to breed and a cow can be bred as soon as she goes into her first cycle,correct?

The other option besides buying or leasing would be using A.I. on your cows. This will breed them up real quick. As somebody like yourself who runs cattle as a sideline, I would have difficulty finding time in the day to go with A.I. I don't know what rates to lease a bull down there would be. Up here its about $25 per cow for a decent bull to lease. I always like to own my bulls, though, that way you know that they've had their shots and been tested for trich etc. The downside is that if you are farming by yourself and something happens to your bull, like he loses his concept of fence, or comes up lame or breaks his Uno, you get to go buy a new bull. I've never leased but I imagine you would have some responsibility if it happened with a leased bull as well. To actually answer your question, though, I wouldn't put a bull out until he was at least 17 or 18 months old. It would depend on the number of cows, but if he's much younger than that he may come out of breeding season looking pretty rough. And yes a cow (I assume you mean heifer) in theory could be bred on her first cycle but I'd wait until they were at least 15 months and 800 lbs before I'd breed them because C-Sections are expensive and really don't do much for the look of your cows. All the best to you.

txmesquite.jpg

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2011i56j said:
He left some mature ones where we will build our home and sprayed all the other land.

so he left some for seed.

txag":2zxi1hcs said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2zxi1hcs said:
He left some mature ones where we will build our home and sprayed all the other land.

so he left some for seed.

If you need some let me know. I found a little bag of seeds I had brought from the CA desert.

dun

After October,most likely in December I will be on the land full time. After getting a home built and making the place livable I will be able to keep up with getting rid of the rest of the trees. My plan is to get the fence in good shape,get the new tank dug and put some good pipe fence on the land faceing the road. Then if there is enough to graze on I will buy some cattle. After reading all the choices you all have given me and going back 62 pages in this section and reading alot of the old posts I have decided to get the best Black Angus bull I can afford and see if I can find some quality Herefords and raise me up some of those Black Baldys. I want to thank all of you for your help and will be here for a good long time. I can not wait to get my butt to Texas in October to survey the land and get started on this project. Once I'm out there and running cattle does that make me a Texan :D or is there some other ritual you all might have planned for me to make me a real TEXAN. :lol:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1psy3oib said:
After reading all the choices you all have given me and going back 62 pages in this section and reading alot of the old posts I have decided to get the best Black Angus bull I can afford and see if I can find some quality Herefords and raise me up some of those Black Baldys.

it sounds like you have a pretty good plan, but just to throw a little monkey wrench in it........you might want to consider a black brangus bull instead. here in texas, that little bit of brahman blood makes the heifers very popular (almost as much as the tigerstripes (hereford/brahman) & probably more so than the hereford/angus) & the steers sell well, too.

A Black Brangus bull would give me the best of both worlds from a Angus bull and a Brahman bull then ? Will a Brangus bull still give me the low birth weights and produce a cow that has good nursing qualities for her calfs ? It was suggested to go with a Brahman bull but I am afraid of calfs that might need to be pulled and would like to stay on the safer side of things. What are your thoughts about this ?

The buyers do like the super baldies Txag only one kink this guy is green.
In my experience Brangus bulls come in two forms hot to getting hot especially when they get a little older. I was just thinking this is an older gentleman that has no experience in handling cattle, he has no idea on how fast you can get hurt.
Hereford bull of mine at 2 strikes as of yesterday, developed an attitude wanted to fight the tractor, and me. Tuned him up with an axe handle, shows his butt today will be in Crockett tomorrow.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1n329x7k said:
I found a link to a Ranch in Dawson,Texas that raises Quality Herefords But lost it and can't find it again. Does anyone know who they are?

try http://www.tpha.net for polled herefords in texas

Campground Cattle":2l4b66uc said:
The buyers do like the super baldies Txag only one kink this guy is green.
In my experience Brangus bulls come in two forms hot to getting hot especially when they get a little older. I was just thinking this is an older gentleman that has no experience in handling cattle, he has no idea on how fast you can get hurt.
Hereford bull of mine at 2 strikes as of yesterday, developed an attitude wanted to fight the tractor, and me. Tuned him up with an axe handle, shows his butt today will be in Crockett tomorrow.

Campground, you just proved a good point with your hereford bull example. it doesn't matter what breed they are.....bulls are bulls & should be treated & respected as such.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2nzci85z said:
A Black Brangus bull would give me the best of both worlds from a Angus bull and a Brahman bull then ? Will a Brangus bull still give me the low birth weights and produce a cow that has good nursing qualities for her calfs ? It was suggested to go with a Brahman bull but I am afraid of calfs that might need to be pulled and would like to stay on the safer side of things. What are your thoughts about this ?

as w/any breed, you'll need to look at the actual birthweight of the bull you're considering as well as his epd's (lots of previous posts about epd's). we've been using brangus bulls for somewhere around 15 years and haven't had calving problems.

OK A Black Brangus bull it is then. I ain't skeered of a bull no matter what breed but I will respect him. Gotta go to work now. Gosh I can't wait to retire in Oct and get outta this RAT RACE !

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1zcbws5i said:
So campground what you are saying is stay with a Black Angus bull and away fron the Brahmans ?

No I'm saying be careful buy from a reputable breeder, I own Brangus they can get worked up in a hurry when penned, these same cows you can walk up to in the pasture and pet. Brahmans get a bad wrap they are gentle cattle just very smart

Latest posts