Great Beginnings

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
JudyJulie.jpg

Judycalf.jpg

Just had to post some pics of what the stork brought me last night.... a purty little heifer calf! :-D

Trisha

Many thanks everyone for the kind words about Judy, my new momma. Judy's number was just about up, and I can assure you that little heifer literally just saved her big fat grass grown butt. :lol:

First, a little introduction on me: I am a cattle breeder Newbie and this is my very first homebred/grown calf. As a child, I was a city kid that spent every weekend, summer break, and school holiday at my grandparent's farm. They had cattle, chickens, etc, but my main focus growing up was always HORSES, which I absolutely lived, breathed, and finally got. Life went on, I grew up and got married, but horses continued to be my main critter focus until after my third child was born... but lack of baby sitters for three young'uns, plus no money to feed a horsey mouths put equines on the backburner for a while. To fill the void, I bought a dairy goat for a pet... and that purchase turned into an obssesion that has lasted almost twenty five years, and has blessed me with a Reserve National Champion honor, and many, many Best In Show, Best of Breed, and Grand Champion awards over the years. Goats, I hope I know a little something about.. but to learn more about cattle is why I read this board. :)

To be honest... besides growing up watching my grandpa work with his small backyard herd of cattle, my experiences have pretty much just been with the four-five Holstein bull calves I have raised every year off of my excess goat's milk for the past twenty something years. (And Man, can goat's milk raise some fantastic prime, growthy steers!!!) Hopefully, I've also garnered some pointers on structure by watching all the cattle shows over the years of the show circuit, and in talking with the cattle people at the shows... but I also know I still have tons to learn about raising cattle. <sigh>

But anyways, about Judy's close call.... Almost two years ago, I purchased, sight unseen, a purebred registered Black Angus heifer for my hubby for his birthday. The guy that I *thought* owned the cattle was in fact the son-in-law (soon to be the EX son-in-law). When I went to pick up the Angus (which I later named Angie, after a hateful kid from my childhood- a little clue as to what that heifer's disposition was! LOL), I was also shown another heifer that they were offering for sale.... this one's dam was 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Brahman, and her sire was a purebred Angus... and like the Angie the Angus, she had also supposed to have been AI'ed to some superduper purebred Angus bull. This heifer, which I named Judy (can't post on a public list who she was named after- inside joke), I personally liked the looks of the most, even though the purebred was much the wider, deeper, 'beefier' of the two. Couldn't decide on one, so I bought the both of them...

Skid through the months... neither heifer turned up bred, and the son-in-law and his promise to furnish a bull if they weren't pregnant vanished... and so did the promised paperwork on the registered Angus. (She was registered- I saw her reg. certificate- just never could get it sent to me.) Couldn't find anyone in my area at the time that did AI, but I did find a neighbor that had a big, black aged (*VERY* aged, come to find out) Brangus bull that he would let me use if I would agree to fatten him up so that he could send him to auction... I agreed, and that bull was in really great shape when he left my place. LOL ..... but alas, after the bull left my heifers still weren't pregnant. :(

Then Angie, the Angus was killed by lightening when a feeder band came though after one of last year's hurricane's.... final straw. By this time (actually well before), Hubby was insisting that we should just send Judy on to auction and be done with it... but darn it all, I didn't feel that it was her fault she wasn't pregnant, so I wouldn't hear of it... but since I had already sent all of the holstein steers to auction, she was by herself and was one very lonely bovine for a couple of weeks until our wonderful neighbor offered to let her run with his herd on his land while his horses grazed our 21 acres... and within a month or two, Judy was bred to his purebred, registered Limousin.

Granted, Judy is now 3+ years of age and this is only her first calf, but given the chance, she promptly got pregnant, had her calf with no problems, and is doing great... and Hubby is now happy that I bullheadedly refused to send her off to auction. :D Buying her and Angie the way I did was an education, as was getting them (her) bred. Even though I learned it all the hard way, I DID learn a thing or two.

Phew... 'twas a long rambling story for just two little pictures, weren't it?! ;-) Didn't mean to write a saga! It's late, late, so off to bed.

The Irish-Milkmaid

Enjoyed your story. You're right, it wasn't her fault. Good luck. We have a great group here (IF you're thick skinned :D ) Don't ask for an opinion unless you are READY to here their answers. And they will be spread all over the range of answers. But, you can usually "sift" through the "right" info, at least what's "right" for you.
If you have been raising show animals, you can appreciate good health & nutrition.
Good luck, and welcome to our "family".
Hmmm, maybe I can talk you into breeding her to Simmental :D :D Just kidding, you'll get all our opinions of what's right.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":29aq22m2 said:
buckaroo_bif":29aq22m2 said:
Beefy":29aq22m2 said:
check out that badonkadonk.
what's a badonkadonk?
welcome Irish Milkmaid very nice looking pair. :)
You know country music - Toby Keith - Honky Tonk, Badonkadonk
Rear end - butt.

i beleive it is Trace Atkins who sings it, but it don't matter- they're both little queers.

TxStateCowboy":1m7y7uhb said:
i beleive it is Trace Atkins who sings it, but it don't matter- they're both little queers.

:lol: I'd like to see you call them queers to their faces, that could be a show. Toby and Trace are both fairly large guys. :lol:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":ell6q0v4 said:
The bigger they are the harder they fall. Especially when you deliver a crushing blow to their knee cap. You can take the biggest man in the world and crush his knee and he will drop like a pebble.
:shock: Yikes, where is that hostility coming from? This is a nice friendly "family" discussing a loved topic - CATTLE.

I know they're big fellas, I just miss real quality country music on the radio. I shouldn't have to worry about my one and only
merle haggard-playing AM radio station not getting reception...
For those who are just recently starting to listen to country music, I guess the new stuff is better than what they play on the hip hop stations- but come on, it ain't that much better.
Hope this is the last post on this thread because we're way off the topic. That cow looks great.

Latest posts